Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
meesh
New Member!
Female 

22-07-2010, 04:01 AM

How to hand strip?

I am new to this site and I am a new Mom to two Scottish Terrier brothers. I live in Alabama, USA and in all seriousness, I have found no one, no one who hand strips in this state. I am sure I am hampered by the fact we purchased our babies out of state. I inquired with the breeder and she clips (she does not show).
I do not plan to show these boys but I want them to represent their breed as best they can. For me that means keeping their rough coats. They are very good in their baths and are doing well with the grooming table. I just am not sure what equipment I should have. Chalk, MARS stripping comb, ect.? I have a clipper, nothing fancy, but I only plan on doing their heads, tummys and bottoms. I have a sticker brush and combs. Angus just has a large amount of undercoat. I just don't want to get the wrong things. I have started the boys but have no idea if I am doing it correctly or not. Their coats are long and I know they should be much shorter, just don't understand how to get there...
I would be most greatful for any advice you feel you can share with me.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2010, 11:38 AM
I strip our Labradoodles with a "Mikki" Undercoat Rake, Stripping comb (which is like a loop saw effect with a handle and has 2 sizes of teeth) - that is great for stripping out the dead hair and Ruby LOVES having it doen... she hates any other grooming but loves the rake and being hoovered afterwards with the hose brush
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure about terriers but would think that handstripping is the same process

You can either use rubber gloves or I use rubber thimbles , also there plastic fingercots (from grooming suppliers) that go on thumb and finger.

Its then a case of grabbing the hair with thumb and finger and pulling. The dead hair will come away easily - how old are they as if young it may not be ready.

Also not sure how often terriers need doing.

The only other advise is perhaps contact the Scottish Terrier breed club as they may have helpful leaflets/booklets available.

Its a slow process but its so lovely when done and such a nice finish.

If you aren't intending to show a coat king may also be a useful tool but these tools can break the coat rather than stripping.

Good luck with them.

Rachel
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 01:01 PM
The pearson site has a lot of good guides for stripping different breeds. They are excellent stripping knives and they are made in USA and are not sharp at all.
I would also contact the breed club as they will also know of anyone local who make be able to help you.

http://www.strippingknives.com/index.htm

As has been said you can use a rubber thimble or just chalk and pull the hair in the direction it grows, use your other hand the keep the skin tight. If the hair does not come out easy then its not ready to come out.

http://clubs.akc.org/stca/ breed club in USA

Good luck
meesh
New Member!
Female 

22-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Thank all so much for your help!

I have contacted the Scottish Terrier Association here in the States without much success. It is like it is a closely guarded secret. I have one lady from the east coast who is trying to help me (she is a professional groomer) on-line but she is so busy I hate to bug her.
The boys will be 11 months old soon and Angus' hair comes out easily, Fergus not so much. I will be ordering chalk and the pearson stripping combs soon.

Hints, suggestions or assistance from anyone else is more than welcome!

Thank You again!
Meesh
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by meesh View Post
Thank all so much for your help!

I have contacted the Scottish Terrier Association here in the States without much success. It is like it is a closely guarded secret. I have one lady from the east coast who is trying to help me (she is a professional groomer) on-line but she is so busy I hate to bug her.
The boys will be 11 months old soon and Angus' hair comes out easily, Fergus not so much. I will be ordering chalk and the pearson stripping combs soon.

Hints, suggestions or assistance from anyone else is more than welcome!

Thank You again!
Meesh
You could try the UK club? email perhaps rather than phone call.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
I strip our Labradoodles with a "Mikki" Undercoat Rake, Stripping comb (which is like a loop saw effect with a handle and has 2 sizes of teeth) - that is great for stripping out the dead hair and Ruby LOVES having it doen... she hates any other grooming but loves the rake and being hoovered afterwards with the hose brush
How can you hand strip a dog with a soft coat, which Im assuming a Poodle cross had got?
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
How can you hand strip a dog with a soft coat, which Im assuming a Poodle cross had got?
Setters are handstripped Dawn - their coat is soft.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Setters are handstripped Dawn - their coat is soft.
Yes but its the "fluff" thats stripped out, not the entire animal. Amy is talking of a "rake" that rips out undercoat, not a stripping knife, she appears to be a bit confused as to what hand stripping is. Can you imagine stripping a Setter down to the roots all over?
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes but its the "fluff" thats stripped out, not the entire animal. Amy is talking of a "rake" that rips out undercoat, not a stripping knife, she appears to be a bit confused as to what hand stripping is. Can you imagine stripping a Setter down to the roots all over?
Oh gosh - no!!! just the dead hair taken out yes! My mum got carried away with her gordon once with her coat king - which I subsequently confiscated from her!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >