Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:29 PM

Hot Dog (jumping frog....)

I have lots of questions on my mind today.

Presumably, just like in a car it can get too hot for a dog in the house too can it? My husband is always moaning that he's too hot (I have the heating on at 20degrees in the morning and evening as am always cold) and it got me wondering if Woody is too hot too?

Are there things to look out for, apart from panting? What temperature is too hot for a dog? Should I turn the heating down and stick a jumper on instead?

Someone told me that Springers don't like the heat, is this true?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Not sure about whether springers like it or not, but mine get restless if too hot,(well Bruce and Skye do) Reah's a different story.

We stick to 17/18 and as I feel the heat I often turn it down by the radiator

I've noticed that to much central heating makes them scratch too, (not flea's either ) I just think that it brings them to the boil
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Guess what I am going to be singing all night now?

Beau gets restless when he is too warm and goes into the kitchen to cool down.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Albuquerque ........sorry ! couldn't resist it
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:58 PM
I hate the cold, I blame my parents they took all of us to live in Saudi Arabia when i was 6 months old untill I was 8, coming back to live in cold wet england was a culture shock to me.
in this house the heating is always set on 21.. we do have a few arguments because Pete will moan its too hot, I say no its not its just right, so he either ends up stripping off and putting shorts on, or he goes and gets me the quilt so I can snuggle under that and still be warm
Our dogs dont tend to bother about the heat, maybe its because they are short coated breeds themselves they feel the cold more.. they do all hate the cold and the wet though, and will go and lay by a radiator if they feel its too cold. At night when I go upto bed I turn the heating down to about 17.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Pepsi usually tell me when she is too hot. She paces a lot or goes into the bathroom as its the coolest place in the house. So i usually turn the heating off when she looks a bit hot. Or i just give her some water with ice cubes in haha, she loves that
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by valandra View Post
Pepsi usually tell me when she is too hot. She paces a lot or goes into the bathroom as its the coolest place in the house. So i usually turn the heating off when she looks a bit hot. Or i just give her some water with ice cubes in haha, she loves that
So does Woody! ;o)
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
That's just what I was thinking

Pepper sometimes gets too hot outside but she never seems too hot inside, but that maybe because we don't get much sun in our back room where we spend most of the day. But I suppose that like us dogs could get dry skin in central heated houses and that could make them uncomfortable?

J
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post

LOL, I immediately thought that and now the flipping song is in my head!!

I must admit I feel the cold easily too and often have the heating on when Sid is sitting in his shorts lol He uses Marius as a temperature guide on me ie: "look even Marius has gone to lie on the tiled floor in the kitchen, knock that heating off!!"
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Chis really feel the cold, so my heating is on nearly all the time. I'm a chilly person too. The OH sneaks the central heating thermostat down and I turn it back up, so the boiler doesn't know whether it's coming or going
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >