Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alpal
New Member!
Female 

15-07-2017, 07:47 AM

Should I get a dog?

Hello , I cant decide whether I should get a dog or not , I love dogs and I have always loved them , my grandpa had them around all the time and I fell in love with my first dog at about 2 ever since then I always wanted a dog. Anyways long story short my dad didnt want them but now that I live in a different place I can get my own dog. But there are a few things stopping me :
1) i live in an apartment not really big apartment either
2) the running space I have for the dog would be on the roof (I live in a 2 floor buliding and I'm allowed to use the roof) the roof is closed and medium sized but there is no grass and obv I couldnt just open the door and let the dog out I would have to take him up to go.
3) I have 2 cats
4) I have had 3 miscarriges and had to stay in the hospital a week with one of them (what if that happened again?) and I plan on continuing to try to have a baby .

Those are really my issues but other than that I do not work and have a lot of time on my hands and I would love to have a puppy in the house that would be my companion. One second i think it would be PERFECT to have one , the other I'm afraid the puppy wont be happy
Coop
New Member!
Male 

16-07-2017, 01:27 AM
It sounds like you've answered your own question!

Dogs can be wonderful companions, and in my opinion very different companions than what cats make. Cats tend to be a lot more independent than dogs, and require significantly less attention than do cats. So be prepared for being a bit more hands on than you are with your other three pets. Well adjusted dogs also require a significant amount of training, so if you're ready to make the time commitment, then go for it!

The only question left to answer is whether you should get a boy or a girl!

-Coop
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-07-2017, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Alpal View Post
Hello , I cant decide whether I should get a dog or not , I love dogs and I have always loved them , my grandpa had them around all the time and I fell in love with my first dog at about 2 ever since then I always wanted a dog. Anyways long story short my dad didnt want them but now that I live in a different place I can get my own dog. But there are a few things stopping me :
1) i live in an apartment not really big apartment either
2) the running space I have for the dog would be on the roof (I live in a 2 floor buliding and I'm allowed to use the roof) the roof is closed and medium sized but there is no grass and obv I couldnt just open the door and let the dog out I would have to take him up to go.
3) I have 2 cats
4) I have had 3 miscarriges and had to stay in the hospital a week with one of them (what if that happened again?) and I plan on continuing to try to have a baby .

Those are really my issues but other than that I do not work and have a lot of time on my hands and I would love to have a puppy in the house that would be my companion. One second i think it would be PERFECT to have one , the other I'm afraid the puppy wont be happy
I wish you success with your desired pregnancy coming to term and having a beautiful baby.

As for having baby and a puppy as well..........?
Both will need a serious commitment and obviously your child would come first. Priorities.

With your living arrangements and, lack of dog outdoor space, I'm inclined to suggest that, whilst a dog for you at this time, might be good for you, to surrogate mother it, timing could be quite unsuitable.

So, it's a no from me.
jeffpas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-07-2017, 05:18 AM
Speaking as someone who ran out and got a puppy because I didn't want to have a lonely house, and is at the "what did I get myself into?" stage.
I would say I was behind a YES for you right up to where you said you were 'continuing to try to have a baby.'
You may think you have a lot of time on your hands but that sounds likely to change dramatically. I sure wouldn't want to raise a puppy and a baby at the same time.
My vote is enjoy your two cats, focus on the child and maybe a puppy some years hence. Like when the kid is old enough to help. You've been warned! haha.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Another thing to think about is the safety of the roof top space and what you are going to do with the baby while you regularly take your dog up there. Walks are fine because the baby can go too, but what about the regular toilet breaks? How would you cope with them and a baby you can't leave alone?

For me it would be a big NO. The time isn't right for you.

Just my opinion
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2017, 04:14 PM
Sorry, it's a no from me. My boy was a rescue who spent just two weeks in his first home. His Mum was pregnant but had complications. Dad couldn't cope with work, hospital visits and a puppy. Neighbours were helping out, but he still ended up in rescue.
Also, the roof terrace sounds rather inconvenient for housetraining, and as Chris says, what would you do with the baby if the pup needed to 'go' urgently? Unless you could rehome a steady, ready trained adult dog, I don't think the timing is right.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2017, 09:10 PM
For me too an out and out no ... sorry
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2017, 09:44 AM
If you have to ask then you know the answer already. Forget the baby and get yourself a dog instead and give it all the love you would a baby, Children are something else and demand total attention. The choice is one or the other but not both!
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2017, 10:11 AM
In the meantime, you could always satisfy your dog cravings by offering to help out at a rescue centre. As a kid I wasn't allowed to have a dog and that is what I did.
There is a Greyhound rescue centre near to us now and they have mass walks at weekends, everyone seems to enjoy themselves.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2017, 12:08 PM
Good idea, Carole.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >