Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2014, 03:33 PM

Book Suggestions?

Sorry if this was already posted in the past, but was wondering if there are any good (dog) book recommendations out there?

Some of my favourites: (would post Amazon links, but not sure if allowed).

- On talking terms with Dogs: Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas
- Think Dog: the best-selling guide to canine psychology by John Fisher
- The other end of the Leash by Patricia B McConnell
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2014, 03:40 PM
As u have the Internet go on YouTube and look up this guy.
Zak George .very good tips on loads of things atm I'm training jake to sit pretty .hehE
The only book I've heard of is cesar Millan
The dog whisperer.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Sorry burn the cm books.
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Not a fan then lol
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jakesmummy View Post
Not a fan then lol
Think the whole "be the packleader" mentality is a little out-dated now. It was based on the misconception that dogs and wolves are alike when in fact they are as similar as humans and primates. Genetically speaking very close, but a whole different bucket of fish when it comes to how they form relationships and how they react.
Still, whether or not you agree with his methods, I think he has helped a lot of dogs that would have been put down otherwise and he has played a big part in making people aware of body language in dogs, how they communicate with us etc.

I wonder how many "dog trainers" out there still use choke chains and physical punishment to get their results and tell people to "Alpha Roll" their dogs to dominate them....
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2014, 06:48 PM
I would think a lot of ppl do. Myself I find it does not work for me and jake. I'm more for building a trust between us.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Was doing some research the other day on how to help my Foster dog with some of his issues.Trying to help him build confidence and trust.Not a fan of everything CM does but I came across something very interesting that he said about handling dogs like Duncan,it kinda stuck with me and have to say its helping a lot.
I can't say for sure what happened to him to make him so fearful of people,I can only imagine Everyday he gets better,I can see it I adopted the attitude I had read that "dogs live in the moment".Leave the feeling sorry for them and the thought of what could have happened for alone time.When they are with you,they are safe,you will protect them,they have nothing to fear.Thats how I approach him now and the second I did,he changed We face his fears together,sometimes with great success and every now and then a failure but never with a sympathy vote Whatever harm was done is over,not without his scars of course but he'll never get better unless he moves forward.Pity won't help.
I'm sure other dog behaviour peeps would advise the same but in this case it just happened to be CM and I have to say I agree with him Not with everything he says and does though
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2014, 11:00 PM
Most of my dog training techniques are based on trust, treats and impersonating Joe Pesci when they get out of line But for dog fiction I love Susan Wilson.
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2014, 12:07 AM
Ive watched a lot of CM. And u can see he loves his dogs.he was totally broken when his pit ball daddŷ died.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2014, 04:48 PM
What changed my mind about Cesar was an article I read about him having a breakdown. His wife left, Daddy died, his manager ripped off most of his money...but somehow he started over.
Like I said I don't really read training manuals. I think he's changed some of his methods right? I don't think he promotes going all pack leader anymore. Well at least not to the same degree he used to.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >