Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Scar
New Member!
Female 

03-07-2014, 10:43 AM

Gwynion Dogs -

Hello All

To anyone who is considering buying a puppy from these people please becareful before jumping in. I recently left a deposit on a sheltie cross puppy after seeing an advertisement. I did little research on the breeder before hand and they seemed to answer my questions promptly and say all the correct things, so I handed over a small deposit as the pup looked lovely and I didn't want to loose it.
After this i discovered whilst doing some i dependant background checks they sell several other types of dog breeds and multiple litters every year, dog breeds being sold included Dalmatians, border collies, sheltie border crosses & west highland Terriors. Not all these dogs have the full testing done and they are not all KC registared. The fact they are churning out puppies started to alarm me.
I asked questions on this dog site and some others, I've also seen warnings to not buy puppies from these people on other sites - puppies are kept in barns outside & these people are being described as a puppy farm!
After asking them questions I have been threatened with legal action should i state anything which they consider slanderous! Whilst I can understand someone protecting their business it's the fact they have such a puppy breeding business im deeply concerned about.

On emailing the breeder to advise I would be pulling out they actually made me feel bad for 'not wanting' the puppy as her puppy mates would be leaving & she would be on her own (these dogs are not quiet 8 weeks old! ). I pulled out mainly due to the above and secondly although I could get someone to drive me there to check this place out, at present due to leg injury I cannot drive myself. The puppy went up for sale the same day at a higher price then originally advertised. They also point blank refused to return my deposit unless I drive to them and pick it up. I cannot drive at present something they had no consideration or care for.

So please anyone who considers buying a puppy from these people go and find out see the facility, do not feel pressured into putting a deposit down, there are plenty more puppy's from nicer breeders out there!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2014, 11:01 AM
I am glad you decided against buying a puppy from them. I recall me and JoedeeUK warning you not to. Happy you did some background checks and whatnot.

Puppy farming, even when done "ethically" where the dogs are treated kindly and whatnot really is not the best way to breed dogs. I mean at all... and Gwynion has far too many dogs.

Health testing and proper registration is not always done. Also, crosses such as Sheltie/BC can't be registered, so you know they can't possibly register all dogs they breed.

I don't support breeders of ANY kind (far too many shelter dogs dying for me to do that), and I'm all for people getting the kind of dog they want... but we never want to give the wrong people our money and support.
Scar
New Member!
Female 

03-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Yes thank you both your comments really made me think. I know any cross cannot be registered as such. I grew up with a sheltie border cross, she was one unique pup & seeing another cross blinkered me somewhat. I'm very grateful for my blinkers being lifted!
We now have a sheltie boy (my profile pic), I got to meet both patents and 4 generations of his female line - the oldest being 17 yrs! Incredible for any dog, the breeder was a lovely & knowledgable lady - who also asked lost of questions of us about lifestyle and dogs we had owned. She was very impressed by my mums sheltie knowledge! Pup seems very intelligent and quick to learn I'm constantly thinking of ways to keep him entertained and problem solving. Can't wait till his jabs are all finished and he's allowed walkies!
I do see your point on the shelter dogs far to many animals end up in these places & my next pup (when this one is few years older!) will be one of them
Ellie&3Collies
New Member!
Female 

04-08-2014, 03:19 PM
I did a lot of research into Gwynion and found a lot of the information and bad reviews were at least 2 years - I know 3 other people with Gwynion dogs who are all happy and healthy. I took the plunge went down there and the grounds are lovely. I seen both parents and litter mates and all are happy and healthy.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Did you see proof of the health tests the puppies parents have had done ? How strange that you join & find a post about the very breeder who bred your new puppy that you disapprove of ? Is your puppy ISDS or KC registered ? or neither ?

Did you get a puppy from the merle to merle mating ?(look it up big no no)
Ellie&3Collies
New Member!
Female 

04-08-2014, 08:09 PM
I actually joined as I am trying to find relatives of my gwynion dogs and a google search led to this page. My pup is neither. My pup has had 2 seperate full over vet checks and is completely fine. I find your comments rather insulting to a new member and obviously you have nothing better to do with your time
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Well, this place (Gwynion) is a puppy farm, and regardless of whether the dogs are healthy or not, this site stands against them. It's not a good idea to fund mass production breeding farms. You have a "pure bred" puppy that is not registered with any club... so how do you know it's truly pure bred? You just took their word for it?

I'm glad you're happy with your dog, and people should be able to get the kind of dog they want from where ever they want, but we don't want to give our money to the wrong people and puppy farms in general are questionable places without proper health testing and too many dogs.
Ellie&3Collies
New Member!
Female 

04-08-2014, 08:27 PM
I haven't once said my puppy is pure bred but I met both his parents and litter mates. I also seen inside the premises. I don't believe you have any evidence of it being a puppy farm or have you had a pup from there. I didn't comment on here to be slandered or too be scared about my puppies health I just thought I would put across my honest personal expierence
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Oh dear so your puppies parents didn't have any health tests done, these cannot be done by a GP vet & your GP vet cannot tell you if your dog has CEA(CH), HD, ED, Glaucoma, Vit B12 defiency etc They can only be tested for by X ray or DNA test or clinical examination by a panellist.

If your puppy isn't registered when the parents are doesn't that make you a little uneasy ? For ISDS registration both parents have to be tested for CEA & have a current eye certificate for CEA & PRA & the owner(s) of the parents must be members of the ISDS. I understand that the ISDS refuse to register puppies bred by these people
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2014, 10:14 PM
But you said on your post that your dog was a BC. Last I checked, BC dogs are pure bred, are they not? So how do you claim he's not pure bred? I mean it's wonderful that you love him and that he's healthy, but this place is indeed a puppy farm and there is no denying that.

You only have to do a small amount of research to see that this is a mass producing, commercial puppy manufacturing place, otherwise known as a puppy farm. Their dogs might very well be healthy, but it does not change that.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »