Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
FlashsFolks919
New Member!
Female 

28-11-2012, 04:24 PM

Osteoporosis - To Surgery or Not To Surgery

My 6 yr old beagle Flash had an xray and we discovered it was osteoporosis and bone degeneration in his neck. The radiologist suggested a surgery with 80-85% outcome of a healthy long life afterwards. We have an appt with the Surgeon for one week from now, however, in the meantime Flash is getting worse, can't get up and move around, when he walks he's either super dizzy or super weak and falls down.

My question is, has anybody had this happen to their dog and is the dizziness a bad sign? We want to do what we can to save our beagle, even if it takes thousands (and it will) to fix him. But is the dizziness a bad sign that he may be beyond help? We also don't want to waste money as we're a young couple wanting to start a family. Please help me, I am borderline desparate to find out more information and the Dr bills are adding up.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you soooo much.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Hi Sheri, sorry to hear about Flash.

Hyperparathyroidism can be one of the causes of Osteoporosis in dogs - I guess your vet has checked thyroid function? An over-active thyroid can be caused by a diet lacking in calcium, or by kidney disease - so I'd want to the vet to rule out problems there too.

Linda posted something about Biphosophonate drug (Bonviva) for Osteoporosis several years go, so it might be worth looking at that.

Many of us know what you're going through right now - taking a chance on (sometimes expensive) treatment, which may prolong suffering and is without guarantee is not easy to weigh up. Whatever decision you make will be the right one.

Please keep us updated on how you get on, and *hug*.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Hello Sheri, I have no experience of this but just wanted to say how sorry I am that you are going through all this with your dog. The success rate of that op sounds quite good doesn't it - it's just getting through the time between now and then.

Good luck, and a big cuddle for you.
FlashsFolks919
New Member!
Female 

29-11-2012, 01:41 AM
Azz and Bitkin,
Our local vet did some labwork and said every thing looked normal, which is why he did an xray where we found the "spot" or the osteoporosis. He never did tell us why Flash got this or how we can prevent it in the future either with Flash or with other pups we may get, but I am for sure going to research it! Also, we have that appt with the surgeon next week and I'm going to have a long list of questions, the main one being Is it worth the risk of surgery. it breaks my heart to a million tiny pieces to see him in so much pain. I really really hope this is something that can be fixed so we can enjoy many more years with him.

Thanks again for your reply, it means a lot to read that others no the pain and frustration I'm going through. XOXO
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Hi Sheri, good luck for the appointment next week - please let us know how you get on. Will be sending positive vibes your way
Ol's
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2012, 03:38 AM
Our prayers are with you Sheri & Flash. Know we are all here for support anytime. Big hugs & doggy licks
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 04:03 AM
So sorry to hear of the upset you are going through. Healing thoughts sent your wee dogs way x
FlashsFolks919
New Member!
Female 

05-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Thank you again to everybody for their thoughts and prayers for Flash. They have helped so much, you will never know!!!!

UPDATE: Flash is having surgery on his neck today for Degenerative Disc Disease. The surgeon says he does them all the time and it should go smoothly and we'll be able to have our fun loving beagle back to normal within 6 weeks!!!! Yay!!!!

Of course, there are always risks when it comes to surgeries but this dr hasn't had anything bad happen to the dog in this type of surgery so Nick and I are very confident that flash will come out of surgery like a trooper!

Again, thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts and prayers! Yall definitely made it easier for Nick and I to make it through this stressful time.