View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mosshart1
New Member!
Female 

25-09-2017, 01:23 AM

Disinterested rescue dog: Can she change?

Recently met an adorable Shih Tzu/Boston Terrier dog up for adoption. We met at a pet store rescue event. Dog was very interested in surroundings...smelling everything, walking around to look at things, and wagging its tail at a particularly fluffy big dog. Unfortunately, she was not interested in people/pets or rubs/treats offered. Wondering if this is stress from being rescued or her personality. Does any have any experience or thoughts here?

Foster mom insists she's friendlier at home after warming up to people, but am worried this is just her personality.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2017, 08:58 AM
I am sure once she is living with a different person and in different surroundings her personality will come out. Just takes time. Some times longer than others. Also depends on how the new owner is with them.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2017, 01:02 PM
I would guess that she was experiencing sensory overload at this event. Just too many sights and scents to concentrate on an unfamiliar human. As Brenda says, it can take time to build attention and to trust. Could you arrange to meet her again in a quieter location? If it is allowed, I would try taking her for a little walk, and have a little bag of small chicken or cheese cubes with you.
mosshart1
New Member!
Female 

27-09-2017, 04:01 AM
Good point. I tried giving her a treat at the event and she didn't care for it. Adoption agency offers a trial, but if I'm on the fence I'm not so sure I should proceed.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2017, 05:43 AM
Yep maybe not. There are plenty of other dogs needing rescue so bide your time. The right one is out there for you. Good luck in your search.
COBAR5
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2017, 05:01 AM
This dog sounds like it's interested in other dogs, over people.
Would be friendly after a few weeks , settle in time.
dogster
New Member!
Male 

01-03-2018, 12:43 PM
I think you should proceed if you really like her. But if there are other dogs that interest you, then proceed with that. It's much easier to bond over an interested dog than an uninterested one.