Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-10-2009, 08:14 PM

Exercise ?

Exercise noun (HEALTHY ACTIVITY) = Physical activity that you do to make your body strong and healthy.
=======
Like WEIGHT this nebulous phenomenom of our daily struggle to remain healthy, EXERCISE is another inexplicable but necessary feature of our daily lives.

The question is - How much is necessary ?

Some people sit around all day at work then do it again in the evening. Do they get fat, suffer from heart problems and die young ?

Some people play squash 3 nights per week, then jog all over England. Do they burn themselves out, develop muscular problems or raging Arthritis early in life ?

Nobody knows how much exercise a human needs due to the infinite number of variants present, just like weight.

NOW, having clarified THAT, let us apply those comments to DOGS. The same crazy recommendations are made for dogs as humans by the experts.

How much exercise do you give your dog and how much does it REALLY need to stay healthy ?
Good luck
John Bull
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 09:06 PM
I have found it varies for each dog! Whatever the breed!
I had 6 dogs, 2 of each breed at one time ( Irish Setter, Goldie & Pug) They were all different & individual.
The 2 Pugs were total opposites , 1 could keep up with the Goldies, 1 just plodded. The 2 Red's are different and it does not seem to have anything to do with age.
You can overexercise and then they suffer the arthritis etc later.
It is all balance and knowing your 'gang'!!
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Hi
I work as a personal trainer, nutritionist and sports massage therapist. In my experience with humans I have concluded that there are two main factors that motivate humans to exercise, the physical- ie weight, and the mental- ie managing your energy levels so to not get over irritable, aggressive etc. As humans our basic needs are distorted due to the society we now live in. We have forgotten what it is to feel truly hungry, truly physically tired and forgotton that we can run, skip and jump for fun!
Animals need exercise. For mental reasons more than physical as unlike humans they do not have control over what they eat, so unless we let then should not get fat. An under exercised dog, like an under exercised human, can suffer a range of disorders, depression, anxiety, nerves, aggression.....
Most owners base the physical quota that they give their animals on their own physical needs schedule. Which is often not enough.
I always advise people to be very careful about matching their own energy levels to a suitable dog when choosing a four legged friend, it can save a lot of frustration on both sides!
Tabs
[link removed]