Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 07:52 PM

Having big problems.

I have been trying to sort our Lauras computer and its driving me mad!!!
She has been having trouble with MSN for the past few days and it won't let her sign in on her computer but it works fine on mine.

Anyway I was trying sort it today and the wireless internet thingy wasn't working either so I tried to install that and kept getting this error message which wouldn't go away no matter what I did. I then tried to connect the LAN connection and then this stupid Window Media suite thing came up asking for the password again like it did a few weeks ago grrrrrrrrr.

So in the end decided to do a partial recovery. I then tried to set the Belkin Usb thing that receives the signals up but kept getting this problem message again that said that it needed to close and when I clicked ok to close it it just popped back up again everytime. I then totally uninstalled the Belkin software and then installed it again but I just can't get it to connect to the internet for some reason - keeps saying can't find the server

My computer connection says Realtek RLTL81319/810X Family Ethernet and I think hers has to be on this too but although I can see this connection there on hers it is crossed out with a red cross and I can't get it to connect for anything. Am I correct that she should be on the same connection as mine because my computer is directly connected to the internet and the other two (Dans and Lauras) are connected by Belkin USB thingys (cant remember what they are called ) and Dan is having no problem with his at all so the connection must be working although Lauras computer says it isn't.

I know this is very confusing and I haven't a clue what I am doing so if anybody can shed any light on it at all I would be very happy
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-11-2005, 08:16 PM
that is confusing Foxy if i understand right

your computer on the lan with a cable connects to the net ( right)
you wireless doesn`t (right )

is tthat right so far ?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
that is confusing Foxy if i understand right

your computer on the lan with a cable connects to the net ( right)
you wireless doesn`t (right )

is tthat right so far ?
Yes mine connects directly to the internet (Wanadoo broadband) and Lauras and Dans connects by one of those USB things that has a flashing green light and receives signals from the router that is downstairs under my computer.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-11-2005, 08:28 PM
sound like it fred..........so the problem only lies with lauras connection then fox?
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-11-2005, 08:28 PM
well that`s a good start foxy anf it flashes but gets no connection ? have you done anything on the router ? and have you a antivirus programe on the laptop ?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-11-2005, 08:32 PM
gotta lol fox you have a way with words ......its a router dear.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by leo
sound like it fred..........so the problem only lies with lauras connection then fox?

Yes it seems so because Dans is fine and mine is fine.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-11-2005, 08:38 PM
have you checked the wires etc nothing loose between them?
just wondering if that why it cant connect up if dans is ok.
you and pc just dont mix like you do with the baileys fox.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
well that`s a good start foxy anf it flashes but gets no connection ? have you done anything on the router ? and have you a antivirus programe on the laptop ?

Hi Fred - no I haven't touched the router at all. The thing is it says it is connected when I click on it but its not no the Lan connection but a Belkin connection instead but it won't go on the Lan one at all which I think it should be connecting through. If I try to get on the net it just says that it cannot find the server. I have done all this with no problems before but for some reason can't do it now Yes I have put the Norton one on the laptop but I haven't got the laptop connected much because I don't use it all that much. Lauras computer is a Packard bell desktop one.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-11-2005, 08:45 PM
foxy when you change a connection it is always advisable to deactivate a firewall or an antivirus and it takes time for it to find the connection if you want to help it find the connection quicker goto / START / OPENNETWORK CONNECTIONS / click on the one you use with the right mouse button and say REPAIR / try that
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »