Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jutus
New Member!
Male 

22-02-2017, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
If you must have a Husky..............OK
We have a collie. We got him from a rescue centre.
Like most breeds, there is an entire spectrum of personalities.

We walk a lot and meet lots of other dogs (and owners!) including a Husky, dozens of Jack Russels and etc. And a few collies.

What we have observed is that the big dogs are usually the best behaved. And collies are so civil.....

Just my observations.
Ok thank you
Jutus
New Member!
Male 

22-02-2017, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I have never EVER met a responsible Husky owner who walked their dog off lead.

They are so well known in the dog world as a breed who will just run and run that it amazes me that people will get one and expect it to be like a poodle or terrier.

You will have a lot of hard work and research to do to make the life of this Husky a good life.

As others have said above, if this is your first dog, please think long and hard about what you are getting into because dogs are not like humans, they need and deserve stability, devotion, kindness, and love, and of course exercise, lots of it (especially at 9 months of age.)
Thank you for your help Just wondering at what time I should start getting comfortable to let the dog off lead ??

thank you
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2017, 07:47 AM
There is no stage, whereas I am not accepting that huskies should never be let off the lead, it is nevertheless the advice that all husky breeders will give for a very good reason - they do and will run and run and run if, for example, their very high prey drive is triggered by something. To train them to have a reliable and good recall is extremely difficult, and particularly if you live in an area where there is a lot of wildlife, I would say nigh impossible. Hence the reason I advised a springer device on a mountain bike - we used one when we had 2 large mal crosses, but now we have only one we don't use it any more unless we ever have to bike on the road.

For sure huskies need a lot of exercise, but I am very concerned here that you don't seem to have grasped what a challenge you have in taking on such a bundle of energy as a novice dog owner! Talk about a baptism of fire!! They are gorgeous dogs, I am spoiled now for any other breed over a northern breed - my Ben is a rescue, an Alaskan Malamute cross, now aged 11 and an absolute delight.

All I can say positively is I wish you the very best luck - you certainly have an interesting time ahead if you go ahead with this!
Jutus
New Member!
Male 

22-02-2017, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
There is no stage, whereas I am not accepting that huskies should never be let off the lead, it is nevertheless the advice that all husky breeders will give for a very good reason - they do and will run and run and run if, for example, their very high prey drive is triggered by something. To train them to have a reliable and good recall is extremely difficult, and particularly if you live in an area where there is a lot of wildlife, I would say nigh impossible. Hence the reason I advised a springer device on a mountain bike - we used one when we had 2 large mal crosses, but now we have only one we don't use it any more unless we ever have to bike on the road.

For sure huskies need a lot of exercise, but I am very concerned here that you don't seem to have grasped what a challenge you have in taking on such a bundle of energy as a novice dog owner! Talk about a baptism of fire!! They are gorgeous dogs, I am spoiled now for any other breed over a northern breed - my Ben is a rescue, an Alaskan Malamute cross, now aged 11 and an absolute delight.

All I can say positively is I wish you the very best luck - you certainly have an interesting time ahead if you go ahead with this!
Thank you so much for your info and help
and yes I have a Big challenge But I Must do this
I am at a point in my Life that I need this to happen and go out and exercise Other wise i will never make it out of the house and never be healthy again

I am more happy to hear people say this Breed needs alot of exercise Because i need it also
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-02-2017, 10:32 AM
I have no experience of Huskies but my best advice to you would be to take your dog to obedience classes. Living in Germany you should be able to find good trainers who are experienced in dealing with the larger and more difficult breeds. I suggest you do the BH course which is the preliminary training for IPO (Schutzhund). Both my dogs have successfully completed it although neither of them are suitable breeds for IPO.

I live in Hungary and found it more difficult to find a suitable trainer for my Shar-Pei and Miniature Schnauzer but had I owned a Husky, GSD or Caucasian Ovcharka would have found it considerably easier, and I suspect you'll find the same in Germany!

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-02-2017, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jutus View Post
Thank you so much for your info and help
and yes I have a Big challenge But I Must do this
I am at a point in my Life that I need this to happen and go out and exercise Other wise i will never make it out of the house and never be healthy again

I am more happy to hear people say this Breed needs alot of exercise Because i need it also
If exercise is your aim a collie wouldn't be a bad choice.
Ours is a big fellow - about 1.5m long and weighs about 33kg. And is well-behaved.

I walk 10-15 km a day. He does more. Today it's already more than 12,000 steps.

Wouldn't that do you?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-02-2017, 05:59 PM
The highlight of your dogs day will be the 'Daily walk' and he will let you know it's 'time' to get out

If you are feeling a bit tired or depressed or thinking about staying in then forget it, if you have the character then out you will go, rain, wind, snow, sunshine, and you will get fit again. The dog will do this for you BUT you have to do something for him in return, namely provide a secure and loving home, a regular routine (Dogs love routine) and of course good veterinary care when needed.

Where in Germany do you live I know from personal experience that there are huge areas of forrest and wild life parks but with massive energy and prey drive it is not fair to risk loosing him.

In addition to the bicycle device mentioned above you could use a long lead, that would allow him to run around a little. Requires constant coiling and releasing 'tho.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-02-2017, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
The highlight of your dogs day will be the 'Daily walk' and he will let you know it's 'time' to get out

If you are feeling a bit tired or depressed or thinking about staying in then forget it, if you have the character then out you will go, rain, wind, snow, sunshine, and you will get fit again. The dog will do this for you BUT you have to do something for him in return, namely provide a secure and loving home, a regular routine (Dogs love routine) and of course good veterinary care when needed.

Where in Germany do you live I know from personal experience that there are huge areas of forrest and wild life parks but with massive energy and prey drive it is not fair to risk loosing him.

In addition to the bicycle device mentioned above you could use a long lead, that would allow him to run around a little. Requires constant coiling and releasing 'tho.
Yep.
I still think it's the wrong choice of dog.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2017, 06:47 PM
It is always a good option to get a dog who can be more easily trained to recall when you are not in good health. On days where you cannot manage the walk, at least you can take a toy and give your dog some off-lead running to make up for lack of walk.

A husky, in my opinion, is not a good match for your present situation
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Wrong no doubts what so ever

just want to get all the information i can get it is just interesting
Then take heed of it.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >