Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2017, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I'm not being pedantic, we chew or we'd choke but dogs can swallow a whole chicken wing or leg without actually chewing, they may give it a few crunches to break the bones then down it goes. Pretty amazing really. I'll agree some dogs savour their food much more than others, it's fascinating seeing the differences in a multi-dog household.
Yes. Some dogs gobble. and some don't. And probably an infinite scale of variations betweeen the two. I grew up on a farm that had lots of sheep. Maybe 3,000 or so. There were working dogs and there were certainly differences in how they ate.

My current dog chews or crunches. Everything. Very deliberate. When I am preparing his food, he lies down and doesn't usually touch it until I say it's OK.

Now and again when we are out I give him a treat - not really a treat, one tiny piece of dry dog food. He crunches that. He goes to town on a raw carrot and has it chewed to pieces. We make small pieces of dessicated carrot and he chews those.

So, I don't think he would just swallow a piece of bread, pin or no pin.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-01-2017, 10:56 PM
I think the OP is talking about a hypothetical dog, certainly not one she's familiar with.
Mine would swallow a chunk of bread if I had them sit, wait and then throw it to them as that's how I trained them to take pills, whether or not they'd take it from someone else is debatable
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2017, 11:46 PM
I think the OP is talking about a hypothetical dog, certainly not one she's familiar with.
Yes, I do realise that.
Mine would swallow a chunk of bread if I had them sit, wait and then throw it to them as that's how I trained them to take pills, whether or not they'd take it from someone else is debatable
Well, we have different dogs.
zhuchka
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2017, 12:05 AM
Trouble, CarolC, Besoeker -

Thank you all so much!!!
I've already learned a lot and each and everyone's reply has been very, very helpful.

CarolC - yes, this is purely academic. In my field I combine Animals Studies perspective with literary studies and need to make a certain argument about this work. The majority hold one view, and a few the one I share. Since the author usually used much of his personal experience, it is possible that this is something he heard about in real life, but maybe not.
So, it was important that I understand the verisimilitude of this poor dog's situation as much as possible. (this author condemned animal cruelty, by the way). So, yes, this is academic.

TBH, I literally cringed when I realized i'd need to analyze this moment. I even procrastinated for so long putting it off that now I am in a quiet panic mode because the deadline is approaching. It is extremely difficult emotionally, so I completely understand how uncomfortable reading about this can be. So, I especially appreciate that you took the time to reply - thank you.

I didn't realize that dogs prefer not to chew, really. Although I did notice that they sort of crush food and then swallow, but I thought that perhaps i see it that way because I do not know all the mechanics of how dogs eat. Now it makes sense.
And I do remember our old family dog would love catching pieces of meat tossed to him without chewing at all. But again - i thought that maybe he was somehow crushing them quickly, or the pieces were small enough to just swallow.

Thank you all again!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2017, 12:13 AM
My present dog does both - crunch sometimes, swallow whole at others. Doesn't matter what food - she does both, I suppose dependent on mood.

Sam, my previous Border Collies, swallowed whole and quickly

Jade, my previous mix and match, tended to swallow, but occasionally crunched.

Different strokes as they say
zhuchka
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2017, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
My present dog does both - crunch sometimes, swallow whole at others. Doesn't matter what food - she does both, I suppose dependent on mood.

Sam, my previous Border Collies, swallowed whole and quickly

Jade, my previous mix and match, tended to swallow, but occasionally crunched.

Different strokes as they say
Thank you, Chris!

Yes, dogs differ individually just like people, so it makes sense that each eats differently.

Looks like swallowing is somewhat more common. Especially, if it's something as soft as a piece of bread.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-02-2017, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by zhuchka View Post
In my field I combine Animals Studies perspective with literary studies and need to make a certain argument about this work. The majority hold one view, and a few the one I share. Since the author usually used much of his personal experience, it is possible that this is something he heard about in real life, but maybe not.
Ah yes, the world of academia, while most of us are beavering away trying to make a buck and keep our families safe and well there are the lucky few who can spend their lives in abstract thought and deep intelectual discussions.

I assume this author is no longer alive, which means you've got to come down on one side or the other and soon.

Go with the 'few' don't go with the majority, if you feel he was theorising on this then say so. Because he 'usually' did something isn't a valid reason to assume this story is true, more like he was trying to get his readers to think outside the box.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-02-2017, 09:29 AM
easy answer, shoot the owner
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2