View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2006, 12:08 PM

Do any of you use the "springer" device?

For a while now I've been thinking about cycling with Diz, I know he would get so much out of it ( as would I lol) but felt the "lead over wrist and on we go" method wasn't safe.

I came across the "springer" device online and think it looks really good.
  • Do they work?
  • Do you/ Have you used one?
  • Would you use one...What is your opinion?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-12-2006, 12:13 PM
If it's what i'm thinking of (a pole type thing that attaches to your seat post and pokes out sideyways for you to join the lead to) I saw one the other day - I thought it looked a bit dangerous - more for the rider than the dog !
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 12:29 PM
some people i know use them with their Mals. I believe they are quite good.. Not got one myself though, for obvious reasons!!
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by dinners85 View Post
If it's what i'm thinking of (a pole type thing that attaches to your seat post and pokes out sideyways for you to join the lead to) I saw one the other day - I thought it looked a bit dangerous - more for the rider than the dog !

hmm thats what i worry about. I do have a very strong dog and although they say that the "spring" absorbs the dogs jerks and pulls he is very dog-orrientated (sp). I worry that if he decides that HE IS going to say hello he will run off bike attached and perhaps injure the dog, the owner, himself, never mind me! lol

Im still trying to stay open minded though.....
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Hi dalmonda , i use a springer device to exercise my young siberian husky bitch mishka, its great i think, if mishka sees something she wants to get at a sharp ''NO LEAVE IT'' FROM ME WORKS , but thats the training i have given her, & if she tries to pull to try & sniff something i can hardly feel her tugs as the springers big spring takes much of the pulls & tugs. I run her with a tracking harness with fleece padding around the front area of the harness, but dalmonda these are great things i think, but it is advised to run dogs with a tracking harness instead of a collar & lead.
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 01:00 PM
http://www.springer-uk.com/
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by rosegallagher View Post
Hi dalmonda , i use a springer device to exercise my young siberian husky bitch mishka, its great i think, if mishka sees something she wants to get at a sharp ''NO LEAVE IT'' FROM ME WORKS , but thats the training i have given her, & if she tries to pull to try & sniff something i can hardly feel her tugs as the springers big spring takes much of the pulls & tugs. I run her with a tracking harness with fleece padding around the front area of the harness, but dalmonda these are great things i think, but it is advised to run dogs with a tracking harness instead of a collar & lead.
Brilliant! Diz is quite good at "leave it" just not sure if he will respond at speed! lol (usually when he sees a dog he stops and walks toward the other dog...at this point i would give the command depending on the individual situation).

Yes I agree a harness is a must.

Thank you all for adding to this thread - Keep them coming I need as much info as poss!!!

Kanikula thank you for the link
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 06:45 PM
I have tried one out with one of my dogs, [ one already fitteed on someone else`s bike ], just to see what it was like.
I was amazed at how safe it was as it goes. The owner of the one I tried out uses it with his Collies.
I know another couple who use them regularly with a Collie and two Beardies, very bouncy Beardies they are too, but they have`nt made the bike veer or pull or anything like that.
All the above springer users have them on solid mountain bikes, I don`t know what the stability is like on others like lightweight racers etc ??

As has been mentioned, if you do get one, the safest for dog and bike rider, and the most comfortable for the dog, is with doglet in a good harness.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 10:15 PM
I have one, and apart from being unseated once when my then male Dalmatian Max took an unexpected and sudden urge to pee up a lamp post, it was fine. BUT don't use the safety cord - it snaps too easily and I lost Polo one day in the middle of the village when he was frightened and bolted. It took me an hour to find him, he had run home crossing three busy roads
Also, I was warned by a well know Dally person that if you are not careful, the dog can end up "crabbing" if you show it's a major problem, even if not, make some arrangement so that he runs straight not "head in" or he may end up with uneven muscles, a crick in his neck or worse!
It's absolutely true that the "Spring" takes away any jerks from the dog, it's very impressive.