Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-01-2008, 06:29 PM

Boxer People - Your Thoughts Please

I am very happy with my Benson, he's developed into a lovely rescue dog and is very responsive to commands etc.

However, there is one 'issue' I have with him that I am struggling to deal with, and it is something I'd like to eradicate...not because it's dangerous, but honestly because it's really getting on my nerves!

Benson is blessed to live within the grounds of a secure school, and when I'm working on the site out of school hours, he runs around with me. As we know, Boxers only know the word 'PLAY' and Benson is no different.

So, the problem is, he's charging round happy as a pig in poo, minding his own business. Suddenly, he'll decided he's bored and he'll focus his attention on me. This involves running round me in circles barking like a loony. However, he then charges at me and jumps up nipping at my sleeves. He grabs them, lets go, runs around, barks a bit, charges and grabs again etc etc.

This often results in me, at best, getting knocked about or, at worst, having my clothes shredded or skin nipped.

Can you imagine trying to empty bins on a playground, pick litter, clear drains etc, while a Boxer is hanging off your arm? It's not easy!

My current methods are either ignoring him by folding my arms and turning away (simply does not work), or turning to him and commanding 'NO' (works even less and intensifies him).

I really don't want to shut the little fella away when I'm working, but if he can't stop bugging me I may have to.

Any ideas please? Ta
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Have you tried bringing one of his toys with him , So he has something to focus his attention on while your busy ,I had a similiar problem with my youngest and Shona on her very kindly help me irradicate the problem . xxdk
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Take a toy with you.
Throw a ball, it will learn him to retrieve and recall through play.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-01-2008, 07:06 PM
The behaviour he is showing is over excited play, (he does not know when to stop) just like kids really, how many times have we all said "it will ends in tears" and it invariably does.

You need to stop his play , before he gets to "that stage" as all the NO`s, ignoring, and so on, is just fueling his playtime....after all he is after !attention" and although you are trying o stop this, you are giving him exactly what he wants.

This does not mean you have to put up with it, and Boxers are no different as any other breed, in regards training.

So, the problem is, he's charging round happy as a pig in poo, minding his own business. Suddenly, he'll decided he's bored and he'll focus his attention on me

Before he gets to the stage of him being bored, either put his lead on, do a little training wit him, i.e sit /heel/down, break the cycle, or if you have somewhere to put him safe, put him somewhere he can just relax. also take a ball (if he likes them) with you, redirect his "play".

You don't say how old he is (have I missed that) is he still a puppy, (still not acceptable)

It will be down to simple perseverance and training I am afraid, he will learn by acting up gets him nowhere.

Good luck.... I have been there!!!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Oh yes, I have 2 that will do that if given half a chance!

Distraction is the key here I think!

You could either practice some training - sit and wait or recall is a good one, as you can get him to "wait" or "stay" whilst you (for example) empty the bins

Or, buy one of the chucker things that flings a tennis ball quite a way and use that to distract him (and teach "fetch it" at the same time)

I think you'll also have to persevere with it, as it may take a while for him to realise you want different (and more acceptable) behaviour from him.

Good luck - I am still there!
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Thank you guys.

Benson is approximately two years old...however, we're not exactly sure.

The problem with him is, he doesn't like toys much...he only plays with an old leather football, which is difficult to carry round.

I went to Jolleys this morning, and purchased a very short nylon lead with a handle. I carry it in my pocket. On our morning walk, when he started playing up I commanded him to come to me and sit, which he did. I then put the lead on him. After about one minute, I let him off again...and when he created, back on it went, over and over.

Eventually, you could almost hear his brain ticking over..."if I jump and nip, I get put on lead...no fun. I'll try not jumping."

It worked this morning, I wonder if it'll keep up?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Thank you guys.

Benson is approximately two years old...however, we're not exactly sure.

The problem with him is, he doesn't like toys much...he only plays with an old leather football, which is difficult to carry round.

I went to Jolleys this morning, and purchased a very short nylon lead with a handle. I carry it in my pocket. On our morning walk, when he started playing up I commanded him to come to me and sit, which he did. I then put the lead on him. After about one minute, I let him off again...and when he created, back on it went, over and over.

Eventually, you could almost hear his brain ticking over..."if I jump and nip, I get put on lead...no fun. I'll try not jumping."

It worked this morning, I wonder if it'll keep up?
all sounds good, but I would try as others have said to keep one step ahead of him by doing diff stuff when he least expects it, he sounds lovely, tigger on speed lovely though
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
he sounds lovely, tigger on speed lovely though
Oh yes, spot on.

I sometimes wonder how he was ever given up, he's so intelligent and loyal...he can learn stuff in no time. For instance, he learnt 'PLAY DEAD' in about 20 minutes last night and can now do it straight away...same when he learnt 'SHAKE'.

I guess it's the limitless energy, a young family in a terrace with three primary age kids just couldn't handle him.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Oh yes, spot on.

I sometimes wonder how he was ever given up, he's so intelligent and loyal...he can learn stuff in no time. For instance, he learnt 'PLAY DEAD' in about 20 minutes last night and can now do it straight away...same when he learnt 'SHAKE'.

I guess it's the limitless energy, a young family in a terrace with three primary age kids just couldn't handle him.

shame too, they are super dogs with kids, guess its as they can keep up with the endless anitics with kids, I think them and ESS are two breeds that were ment for kids, my son has an ESS at his dads house, super dog with kids too, but there loss is your gain, I also have had a super quick learning boxer called oscar who came training, he is super to work with, x
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Thats a boxer for you.......... when they are focused, anything is possible....... i miss my oldies, and my lad was benson as well.
We did flyball with ours, and distance training, you just have to wear them out a bit 1st.