Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 12:42 PM

do some dogs never cock there legs?

my dog is just over 6 months & squats, i dont have a problem with this he is 100% house trained now on his doggie toilet (excellent!) but i wondered will he ever cock his leg?

his only 13inchs tall so prob doesnt need to??

Thanks, hope i am making sence!
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2008, 01:13 PM
My Hamish is 1 and still squats! He tried the other week but fell over. I read somewhere that dogs who are neutered young don't cock their legs and we had Hamish done at 6 months so he may be confined to pee like a girl forever! Our trainer said some dogs can take up til 2 years.

Deedee x
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2008, 01:20 PM
It took my boy until he was 10 months old before he started to squat, it was my bitch coming in season that gave him that final nudge to do it. Some dogs never squat though.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Zak is 16 months and doesn't cock his leg, he just stands and stretches his back legs out so he doesnt wee on his front legs. He hasn't been nuetered. My last GSD, never cocked his leg. He was nuetered though at a year old. I don't know if nuetering is anything to do with it, maybe they are just lazy.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 01:27 PM
we thought Snip never would.. but in the end he started doing it at about 12 months..
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Well Dax is 12 & never cocks his leg but my previous bitch occasionally did up lampposts. Must say she is the only bitch I've eber had that did it.
bullyboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-04-2008, 01:37 PM
leg cocking is a dominant thing as they are trying to get the sent up as high as possible the higher it is the less chance of another dog covering it
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Mo will occasionally cock her leg, if she is in long grass (doesn't like having her fancy tickled!) or if she is in amongst the undergrowth.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by bullyboy View Post
leg cocking is a dominant thing as they are trying to get the sent up as high as possible the higher it is the less chance of another dog covering it
That's interesting, never thought of it like that.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi MistyBlue Around the age of 8+ months (though it varies from dog to dog breed to breed) dog puppies experience a hormonal surge of testosterone which helps to transform them into an adult dog. Most dog puppies will cock their leg following the hormonal surge, though some never do, perhaps these dogs have low levels of testosterone.

So at 6 months of age your puppy still has plenty of time to progress to cocking his leg
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >