Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2012, 08:11 PM

Snowballs on dogs legs

I remember reading on here a discussion about snow sticking to dogs legs. For the life of me I can't find it. Does anyone have any ideas if there is anything I can put on my dogs legs to help stop the snow sticking and forming balls. (Apart from socks ...lol ) I'm desperately hoping we get snow this weekend (probably won't) but if we do I know my dogs will want to play in it. My last dog (Lhasa Apso) could only play for about 10 minutes by which time her legs were being forced apart. So any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Baby oil? or something like that?
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Yeah, the recommendation that came on the other thread was to put some baby oil in a spray bottle and squirt their legs, evidently the snow washes it off eventually so you may need to re-apply if out for a while

Vaseline on their feet stops the balls forming inbetween their pads
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Yes, the baby oil works nicely, coz it's very light and will just give the coat a nice oiling in the process, coz if you use a thick cream, well, it'll just sit there forever won't it. On the pads and inbetween I did use Vaselene, but then I worry about the name of it, petroleum jelly, and that's probably not good for licking is it, which the dogs are bound to do to get the snow off.

I think I used sudocreme on the pads, but I'm going with the baby socks this time around coz I have a set of 4 already and it'll only be for the garden, so they should stay on.

If we get a good covering of snow, then I'll probably be doing the socks held on by bandages half way up to the knee or something, with some cling film inbetween tokeep the socks dry. Bit OTT I know, but when you get this:

and that was just a quick wee outside, then it calls for desperate measures!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Johnsons Baby Oil (other oils are availble) in a plastic atomiser, works well. Vaseline is good on paws.

You can use boots (disposable ones are good).
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2012, 08:22 PM
I was told about horse coat and tail stuff, so the lady that told me has just got me some, waiting for the snow to test it though!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your replies. Helena I loved the photo!
I'll get some Johnson Baby oil tomorrow for their very very hairy legs In theory their feet should be OK .... they are Tibetan and have enormously large front feet designed for the snow
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Vaseline or Sudocrem work well - just remember that if you want to buy Sudocrem and it is over the counter then you need to say it is for a baby - they won't sell it to you if you say it is for a dog.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks folks. I went out and bought baby oil and a 'fine' spray bottle. We already have sudocrem but I thought it dries skin out? For using vaseline, are we talking about a really small smear of it on the pads? We have got snow flurries at the moment and it is settling but it is going to have to snow a lot more to be fun I'm hoping that when we wake tomorrow morning there will be lots
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 04:42 PM
i used something a little different today. er KJ gel it washes off in waster so it said, so i thought well ill try it out. (didnt have anything else at the mo) and it works a treat,
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 05:21 PM
I used a spray bottle of some conditioning dog spray coz I couldn't find my baby oil anywhere and desperate times called for desperate measures with the snow about this morning, and have to say, that worked a treat too, all up her legs, and underneath her feet, no snowballs on our snowy walk!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >