Our sister sites
Our sister sites
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 06:35 PM

Horses on your land

Just wondering if anyone has ever had anything similar happen

Last Monday we arrived home from work to find a pony on our land. A few hours later a van pulled up outside and OH went out to see if it was the ponies owner looking for it. The man was very apologetic and promised that the pony would be removed first thing in the morning when it was light.

A week later and the pony is still here with no more sightings of its owner.

To get it onto the field he would have had to break through the fence as the only other ways in are through a padlocked gate and then another gate, or from the house which a pony could never get through the small gates.

We have since found out that the owner is a traveller who has managed to lease two other field in the area by putting his horses into the field and then arranging to rent the fields from the land owners. One of these land owners is trying to find the persons phone number for us.

This is causing alot of problems. The once flat field is now totally ploughed up and even if the pony wasn't in there would no longer be suitable for the dogs to run. The dogs also have a paddock of about 3/4 acre infront of the field. One of them is oblivious to the pony and only cares about his ball, but the others are going mad trying to get over the 4 foot wall into the field if we go out there. This is meaning that only Callan and Kyler the pup can go out into their own garden
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Have you tried contacting the BHS?

http://www.bhsireland.com/welfare.asp
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Have you tried contacting the BHS?

http://www.bhsireland.com/welfare.asp
Thanks for that. I didn't realise that the BHS were in Ireland. I know we are responsible for the pony whilst on our property and I have given it water. I have had horses all my life up until recently and the pony looks in good condition. I just want it gone and my dogs lives get back to normal
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Sorry to hear your having issues Jane, I can't offer any practical advice but I hope you manage to get it sorted soon.
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks Kate. Not sure what we can do about it yet but it is definately going
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Personally IF I knew where his other horses were being kept I would remove and deposit said pony in those fields
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Personally IF I knew where his other horses were being kept I would remove and deposit said pony in those fields
Thats what I would do as well
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 03:45 PM
If the pony broke through a fence could you not put it back where it came from and repair the fencing?