Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 02:34 PM

Buying land

Hi hope i have posted this in the correct bit !

We are contemplating selling our house, buying some rural land and possibly erecting a log cabin or flat pack home or indeed a large mobile home. We would like a bit of land, a couple of acres maybe not too much, i would like to take in rescue greyhounds/lurchers ! or have a little smallholding

Can anyone give me any advice re planning ? i know with some classed as non-permanent buildings do not require planning.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 07:54 PM
I am no expert but 'know of' someone whos doing that at the mo, I don't know these people but I think they MIGHT have had to get planning but I'm not sure I think it would also depend on where the fields are maybe? Sorry I am not that helpful but good luck I'd love to do similar.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 12:02 PM
some travellers bought a few acres near us and they had to get 'temporary' planning permission if i remember rightly which was valid for 2 years at which point they had to reapply? dont quote me though but suffice to say i would imagine you will need permission of some sort or tother. also possibly for the kennels as well if you go down that route
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 12:16 PM
I would probably speak to a legal bod about it, the last thing you want is to get incorrect information off the internet (even if it's unintentially, e.g. different laws apply in different parts of the country) and find yourself with a recently finished house and having your planning permission doesn't cover what you've had built.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Would you be looking in the South East? any land with building potential is snapped up so quickly down here, with a massive price tag to boot. Your dream might be more achievable in cheaper parts of the country; Wales, Northern England, etc.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Why don't you phone or pop down to your local planning authority? They were very helpful when we got planning permission for an extension & loft conversion.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Since land with planning permission is getting as rare as hens teeth i think one idea to consider would be to find land with an existing building on it.Unless its listed,theres nothing to prevent you from knocking it down and building a new one in its place provided you stick to the original footprint and thats still up for negotiation.

This was done by a couple on 'Grand Designs' several years ago near Peterborough who bought a dilapitated farmhouse.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys, need to do some more research me thinks !