View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Well Skye and Bruce hardly have nails that can be seen, they are right down, suppose due to all the running/walking they do.

I do feel embarrassed about Reahs on occasions, as she has to plod now due to age and her legs won't take alot of road walking, so I have to take her to the vets to have them clipped back, but it is just the front ones mainly
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
This may seem a strange question but how long are your dogs toe nails ?

I used to be shocked by how long some dogs toe nails were.

Growing up in a town 'long nails' smacked of dogs that didn't get walked much but now I question that........

We live in the country and my house backs onto rural tracks and woodland. As a result my dogs don't get a lot of road walking so (and I wonder if this is why) they have long toe nails.

I know a lot depends on the type of dog and how they walk or pull on a lead but I often feel a bit ashamed as Skye has big long toe nails that make a 'tippy tappy' noise when he walks on a hard surface ???

Breagh chews her nails and Fingal just grinds his down through his own activity but I always feel a bit bad when I hear the sound Skye's feet make.
No, many things will be takn into account on the lenght of a dogs nails, road walking helps a great deal in keeping them short.

But conformation of feet also play a big part in the dogs nails being kept short... dogs with tight claw like feet are better at keeping their nails naturally parred down.

Example, out of my Boxers Millw nails will keep themselves in trim, I have never had to once cut them, but she had excellent feet, nice and tight , Bandit on the other hand had fallen heels, he has HD and Spondylosis, so he walks in a way to compensate his conditions, consequently , I have trim his nails every other week, he simply does not parr them naturally.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2009, 01:15 PM
I have never cut any of mine nails. they get a mixture of walks depending on where we go. One of my lurchers tap on the floor but her has always had long nails its just the way his feet are.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Rio has pointy nails. They never get too long, but are always pointy! Her dewclaws need trimming once a fortnight, especially the rear ones. Dan has really nice cat like feet and his nails never get long or sharp.

Some of the dogs that come into work every six weeks have super fast growing nails. Some I only have to trim every other visit. It depends on the individual dog as well as conformation of the feet.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Rio has pointy nails. They never get too long, but are always pointy! Her dewclaws need trimming once a fortnight, especially the rear ones. Dan has really nice cat like feet and his nails never get long or sharp.

Some of the dogs that come into work every six weeks have super fast growing nails. Some I only have to trim every other visit. It depends on the individual dog as well as conformation of the feet.
Yes, agree with that too!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 02:51 PM
teagan has terrible feet, vinnie has fab feet, kaos and holly have good feet,
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 03:08 PM
my twos back toe nails are really short from road/canal walking but their front ones are a little longer, I asked vet when we were there recently for boosters but he said they were fine
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Jake has always had really long nails, and they tip tap on wooden floors. The other week he got them cut for the first time (at the groomers lol) and although they arent sharp now, they are still long and still make the tip tap noise, but it jst means I always know where he is

I mix his walks so he does get quite a bit of pavement walking but it doesnt seem to help lol. When I had sam though, he nails were always short n never got trimmed for his whole life.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 03:43 PM
My lot have good tight feet and high quicks so at the moment their nails are short, but Remy bless her heart, had really long nails, but she developed arthritis and muscle wastage plus walks became shorter as she became a home body... I had to trim them but she hated it
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 11:13 PM
I think it does depend on how much road walking is done, but also the breed or even individual dog. Isla's nails are absolutely fine, never needed to touch them. Oscar's are ridiculously long and I'm also quite embarrassed at times.

The trouble is I do have to trim his for the show ring and the truth is they do need doing but I just hate doing it!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >