View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2007, 06:32 AM
We tend to stick with dog shampoo although we have used baby shampoo in an emergency, we use a tea tree shampoo on Diesel as its great for his skin and his coat
Dolly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2007, 09:22 AM
I have only ever used dog shampoo on my dogs having been too concerned about adverse affects of human shampoo. I have seen, in a petrol station! A place where you can take your dog for a bath, but have not used it myself, prefer to use our own shower.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 10:53 AM
I found this on AOL, hope it helps...I know i will try

Green Living > Pets > Everyday Pet Care > Aloe Vera Pet Shampoo

Aloe Vera Pet Shampoo

COMMENTS:
10 comments
Add your Comment

by Annie Berthold-Bond
About as pure a shampoo as you can get, this recipe is detergent-free; in addition, the healing properties of aloe vera gel helps to sooth skin irritations.
SIMPLE SOLUTION:
2 cups water
2 teaspoons liquid castile soap
2 tablespoons aloe vera gel
Up to 1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin or vegetable oil
Combine all ingredients in a jar. Shake to blend. Get the pet’s coat wet, pour on the shampoo a few tablespoons at a time, lathering as you go. Work the shampoo in with your hands. Rinse thoroughly. Unless you want the pet to shake themselves dry (and get everything in the vicinity wet at the same time!), towel them dry.
HELPFUL HINTS:
Some pet experts recommend rubbing petroleum jelly around the eyes to keep the soap out. Try a petroleum-free equivalent.
A final vinegar rinse can help the coat shine, and return the acid mantle to the skin. Combine 1/4 cup of organic apple cider vinegar with 3 cups of warm water, and rinse over the pet’s coat; be sure to avoid the eyes.

10 Comments add a comment »
Wendy Pollard
Sunday September 30, 2007, 3:03 PM

I tried everything om my little dog, cost me loads of money on vets nothing worked,so I boiled up raw garlic added rosemary and lavender, Used it as a spray..It worked.

Robbie Voltz
Sunday September 30, 2007, 2:31 PM

It all sounds wonderful, but where do I get liquid castile soap In Brisbane Australia? HELP!!

Florence K.
Sunday September 30, 2007, 1:58 PM

I have long used Dr. Bonners Peppermint Castile soap for bathing my pets. It is all natural, not harmful if they drink the water or eat soap suds, it kills fleas. And best of all they smell delicious.

Jasmine Pettit
Sunday September 30, 2007, 12:18 PM

It is so wonderful to have these PURE homemade items. I am new to actually trying eco friendly things, but all sound so great. I hope to find much more ! What are some things I can find easily in Arizona??

Hilda Milliken
Sunday September 30, 2007, 8:52 AM

Isn't baby shampoo liquid castile soap.. or it used to be.. my baby is 40 so I haven't looked lately. Hilda

Berta Ronald
Sunday September 30, 2007, 8:39 AM

Hey Peggy A., Have you tried looking for castille soap at an organic/health food shop? A lot of places like that here, in Manitoba, have Dr. Bromner's Castille soap, and there is a original plain variety. It's nice for the humans to use too, I buy the Lavender one!

Shirley H.
Sunday September 30, 2007, 6:24 AM

I'll try that shampoo and the rinse too - think my puppie may need a bath soon. Thanks a zillion for all the great advice I receive on the C2 threads.
Shirley H.

Peggy A.
Sunday September 30, 2007, 6:00 AM

That's a great recipe for pet shampoo, However, in Canada or at least in my province we can't get castile soap. I needed it once for another homemade product and had to send to the States for it. Peggy

Nora W.
Sunday September 30, 2007, 4:12 AM

Hi
I'm of the same mind. It sounds like a good human shampoo too.

Glenda Stunz
Wednesday August 8, 2007, 2:23 PM

Gotta try it sounds like a good one for my own shampoo too???
suelaine9
New Member!
Female 

09-01-2008, 04:49 PM
I have used Johnsons baby shampoo and conditioner on my long haired Shih Tzu cross but stopped when I discovered their PH level is different. A dog's skin and hair is more sensitive and has a different texture and pH level. Human hair has a pH level of 4.5 to 5.5 but a dog's skin and coat has a much higher pH level of 7.

It's slightly annoying because, ml for ml, dog shampoo is far more expensive than human shampoo but I have no idea why. (Any ideas?) However, I would not like to cause my dog any skin problems just for a lower cost implication.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by purplex15 View Post
have fun when your dog is older, has horrible skin problems, and is losing its hair. there is a reason they make dog shampoo and human shampoo.
They also sell flea and worming treatment at the pets shop and thats a bag of s!$t, it depends on the dog. Most of the time its a money making thing.
Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post
You shouldnt really need to bath them often a good brushing everyday should suffice to keep their coat glossy and tangle free...
what is they smell all the time?

I have used baby shampoo on mine with no problem. I think the best thing you can do it try both and see which works best for you.
ATD
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 05:40 PM
we have used every human shampoo there is on our GSD who likes to chase skunks,he is 18 yrs old this year and has no skin problems at all
dogs PH is different but we have had no problems with any of our 7 dogs using human shampoos
interesting is some horse shampoos are ok to use for dogs and are way cheaper than human or dog shampoo,check out your local equine supply
suelaine9
New Member!
Female 

09-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks for that - I will do! Horsey shop, here I come ...
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2008, 06:36 PM
i made my own (from various googled sites!) with

1/3 fairy liquid
1/3 glycerine
1/3 apple cider vinegar
and
a few drops of whatver essential oil that is suitable for skin applications eg. tea tree, lavender.

when the bottle of fairy is 1/3 left i toped up the other ingredients in the bottle and so had a handy dispenser too

word of warning though
the apple cider vinegar is there to alter the ph to dogs level but when the dog get wet again not only will you have a wet dog smell you'll also have a whiff of the vinegar!
suelaine9
New Member!
Female 

09-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks for that idea - my dog gets dirty just walking along the road. He's like a walking fluffy duster and picks up leaves, sticks and all sorts all the time. Going into a field in winter always results in a good bath - he's just loves to roll in the stickiest, wettest mud and no amount of brushing gets it off. He has the fine silky hair of a shih tzu and the manners of a dung beetle!!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 09:20 PM
I`m lucky to have always had dogs who love to swim - and always lived near water. My dogs swim nearly every day, so baths aren`t really needed. However, on the odd occasion they have needed a bath (about once a year) I have used my shampoo-and-conditioner. I was always told that it`s the frequent bathing that strips the oils from the coat. Maybe dog shapoo is designed to counteract that?
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >