Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie_lou25
New Member!
Female 

06-06-2009, 05:53 PM

Help with breeding?

Hi i was just wondering if any1 could help me.

I used 2 breed yorkshire terriers about 8 years ago, but i had the female and male dogs, so when she came into season they just automatically breed.

Now i have a Bichon frise, she has just come into her 3rd season and ive decided i want to breed her with my friends male dog, i was wondering if there is a certain point in the season that you need to mate the dogs or if you can do it anytime?

Thank you
look forward to your replies
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Im not being funny but WHY do you want to breed?
From what you said about your previously bred littersthat isnt the way to go about it.
Do you show your bitch? has she had the relevant health tests to the breed (same for the planned sire)? Are you planning to keep a pup?
Take a look back through threads in this section (including the ones about bitches nearly dying)and if you are still serious about breeding then find a mentor, do your research and plan ahead, its not a good idea to just 'decide' to have a litter, especially in the current climate with even top breeders struggling to sell pups.
Katie_lou25
New Member!
Female 

06-06-2009, 06:27 PM
No i understand why you said what you have said and i totally agree about people breeding for the sake, and not knowing what they are doing. I do know what i am doing as i have breed before, helping my dog delievery puppies in the past. But i wasnt sure the right time as i am using a stud this time and not my own dog. So want to make sure when to mate them together. I wasnt sure exact times 9th or 10th day rings a bell but i wanted to make sure.

i havent just decided that i want to breed i decide on her last season and decide to do it this time round so that i had time to plan and organise things.

And to answer why i want to breed, i used to really enjoy and found it a very rewarding, weaning training etc.
as i said on the previous post i used to breed yorkies but had both bitch and dog so they used to mate on there own, unless i kept them separate and skipped season e.g. if it was the wrong time (holidays etc).

And yes both dogs are vet checked and up to date with jabs.

hope you can help me
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 09:42 PM
I don't mean to sound unkind but how can you think about breeding when you don't even know the appropriate mating days. Do you not have a Mentor in your chosen breed? If not, I suggest you get one before you consider even going there
Katie_lou25
New Member!
Female 

06-06-2009, 10:14 PM
im sorry this site is meant to help people and for people to be able to ask for advice.

and as i have seen from other posts about breeding people gettin shouted at for asking for advice!

and all im getting is people being funny and basically telling me i dont know what im doing, when i actually do i used 2 breed myself and i am offended when people start saying i dont know what im doing.

all i wanted to know was appropriate days in season to mate as this time round i am using a stud instead of owning my own male. So then if i dont want to breed my bichon on one of her season i dont have to keep them separate all the time, which as you know is hard.
kingbilly
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-06-2009, 10:17 PM
yes go to a site dedicated to the breed
kingbilly
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-06-2009, 10:18 PM
[Link removed] is the site, tricky getting in but lots of factual accurate info there, maybe someone can mentor you on it. Just be careful .
Katie_lou25
New Member!
Female 

06-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Thank you, thats all i asked for a little advice, and not for people to tell me i dont know what im doing, when i do i have had plenty of experience with dogs and puppies.

Thank you.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 10:31 PM
to be fair you obviously dont know enough as you dont even know the most basic of things. IMO breeding by just allowing your two dogs together in the past is not responsible. If your that serious, do your research and not rely on peoples opinions/thoughts on a forum because by posting you are leaving yourself openfor people to give their opinions on
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Sorry if you've taken offence to my post. I wasn't being funny. It's just a bit worrying when somebody comes on talking about breeding their female when they are not even sure of the appropriate dates for mating. That is one of the most fundamental details.

I am fairly new to breeding myself but I researched breeding for two years and have an excellent Mentor that I can call for help/advice 24/7 - so you'll understand why I felt you needed to get yourself more acquainted with the basics in breeding, whether or not you have bred before, there is obviously further research/study you need to do.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >