Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2006, 01:36 AM

Are You A Night Owl

Does anyone have trouble sleeping? I don't know whats come over me but recently I am having the greatest difficulty in getting to the Land of Nod. Sleep used to be no problem now suddenly I'm struggling. The more I try the more I wriggle and toss and turn and put the light on then put it off again then visit the loo and ... well you get the picture. Help, any suggestions?
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

06-02-2006, 01:52 AM
is there something on ur mind keeping u awake?

try not to drink any tea /coffee or cola up to 5/6 hours b4 bedtime, drink plenty of water in the day...
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2006, 01:56 AM
Thanks eRaze,

I think I'll go to bed now
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Just to say that I am following your advice tonight eRaze, have been drinking plenty of water for most of the day and will go to bed on a Nytol (bought some today to help with the insomnia). Thanks for your help on this one
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Another tip that I once got told - and really works, is to have as little electrical things in your room as possible.
Don't have a TV in your room, or a stereo etc.
Make sure your bedroom is for sleeping (and maybe other things), but the lounge is for TV etc.
Your mind seems to know to relax when you are in your room and there are no other distractions.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2006, 02:34 AM
Trixy, I too have gone nocturnal ( note the time of posting this )
Sitting on the pc used to get me very tired, and I would drag myself to bed early, but now it has the opposite effect. So get of the pc I hear you say, but like I have said on numerous posts I am totally hooked to this site. The trouble is, now I am not working there is no urgency for me to get my butt out of bed in the morning either! So a vicious circle really, saying that I still have been up relatively early. The only change I can put it down to, is that I am not walking the boy in the evening. I must try and get back into a proper sleeping habit, the stinking cold I have had this past week has hindered it too. Nigel is also bunged up and sleeping on the sofa, he has been up and down like a yoyo - bless him.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2006, 08:28 PM
We're terrible - have to watch Star Trek every night on Sky . Doesn't start till about midnight
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2006, 10:07 PM
This is a recent thing for me. Despite finding out someone had attempted to murder me (literally ) pressure at work, a court case and various sundry life problems, against all odds I had no problems sleeping. Until recently. Then I found out it was a symptom of the menopause which has added a new dimension to my woes. Despite knowing the reason and finding a name for it, that doesn't actually make it better but a couple of nights ago I tried some lavender oil on my pillow.
It seems to work. I just woke up at 6am when Polo and Polly sneak in and on the bed because the range has finally coolled down so they are no longer feel the need to drape themselves around it. Early days, but I will keep it up and see how it goes........
I hear that hops are good too, you can buy special pillows.
By the way, try to stay awake and meet the insomnia head on by tricking it into thinking you want it, then it might give up and depart. Or get up and do the ironing...that has worked for me before as well.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Trixy
Does anyone have trouble sleeping? I don't know whats come over me but recently I am having the greatest difficulty in getting to the Land of Nod. Sleep used to be no problem now suddenly I'm struggling. The more I try the more I wriggle and toss and turn and put the light on then put it off again then visit the loo and ... well you get the picture. Help, any suggestions?
Hi Trixy I have a sleep problem partly through years of working night and also because of tinitus, my ear makes a humming/buzzing noise which keeps me awake.

Here are a few tried and tested tips..
..Make sure you are not too hot or to cold/ have not just had a big meal/ are not hungry.
..Lavender oil is good. buy the pure oil from health food shops and put some on a tissue near your nose.
..have a warm relaxing bath before going to bed.
..Listen to some soft music, have it very low, you should just be able to hear it, but not too loud so that it doesn't wake you again if you fall asleep.
..You can buy special tapes with wave sounds and other soft sounds, they may help you.
..Read a book something that is not too exciting

If you go to bed and can't sleep don't lay there thinking about it, get up and do something for half an hour then try again.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2006, 12:58 AM
Until I had my son 2 yrs ago I was a complete insomniac an was on all sorts of pills to try help me sleep without success, since having my son I sleep great just not at night usually early evening I seem to come alive once it gets dark and walk around like a zombie during the day. Have you tried speaking to your doctor maybe he could prescribe something.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >