Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 09:45 AM

Bald patch on puppys head

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but couldn't find a discussion that related to it.

Basically i have just purchased my puppy as most of you know but when i brought her i noticed a tiny bald patch on her head.

The breeder told me this was just where the pups are fighting alot now, which i agreed with and let it go. But now im worried it may be something more serious.

I am texting her tomorrow to ask if its healed up but for now have any other breeders in here had the same problem? have your pups had a few bits of fur pulled out whilst over-play fighting? am i over reacting?

Kind Regards
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 09:57 AM
I don't really have any experience but it seems perfectly pheasible.
I know that when I went to get T the pups were really quite rough with each other (for their size) and it seems perfectly pheasible that they've just played a bit rough.

Having said that, I don't know what dobies hair type is like, I doubt a dally could pull a patch of hair out due to hair type but perhaps he just scuffed it along something while playing, T was beating up all her litter mates and probably grazed them a bit!

Someone else will tell you better I'm sure!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Thanks Lottie, it is hardly noticable only about the size of my little fingernail. I just cant find anything on google about it and if this happens to all litters all i find is that is some kind of disease. which scares me
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Keep your eye on it, and if you notice anymore, or it growing bigger go to your vets.

Teagan started with a small bald patch on her head, and ended up nearly bald all over - with demodectic mange
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Dobes do fight, wouldnt concern me at all.
Dawn.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Give it chance it can take a couple of weeks I used to have a dog that was always pulling hair out at the bottom of her leg and that took a while to grow back but still contact the breeder to satisfy your own mind
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 02:48 PM
It could be something or nothing as they say. Try not to worry too much and moniter it carefully.

I do agree with Hevvur that it could possibly be demodetic mange but don't panic! Ozzy had the same as a pup and it started off a tiny little patch and he ended up with bald muzzle and face! Even if it is this it is curable so don't be alarmed

Keep a close eye on it and if it starts to get bigger take him to the vets for examination. They can do a skin scrape to determine if it is demodetic mange or some other skin ailment.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 04:04 PM
totally agree with hevvur and ozzysmum,my youngest dog started off like this a small spot on the head and then it spread,it took about six months to get rid of it but he is o.k now
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 04:18 PM
My breeder has just text to say the puppy's injections and health check was all good.

I'm assuming the Vet would have noticed if she thought the bald patch was a problem?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2006, 04:21 PM
but she hasnt collected the pup from the breeder yet. Also the hair on a Dobermann head is so short you can not pinch it between your fingers. although dobies do have the habit of nibbling with their front teeth it could perhaps be that.
could you get the breeder to have her vet checked before you collect her just to put your mind at rest. check also that she comes with 6 weeks free insurance.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >