Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tigerjayne
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2012, 06:00 AM

Help with diarrhea in puppy Sasha

I am very worried now, even wondering if it is the Raw diet that never agreed with her. Sasha has still got diarrhea infact it is coming out of her like a tap. She was refusing the boiled chicken, scrambled eggs etc so yesterday I let her have some raw chicken wings hoping the bone content would harden her up. She is well other than that but looks rather thin.
I was hoping by now after 60 hrs of being off of the Antibiotics (for vomiting) she would of hardened up by now. I do not know what to do, starve her totally for today and leave her another day or two before taking her to the vets to see if it hardens up.
Please, any advice would be good she is now 5 months old.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2012, 06:16 AM
I would take her back to the vets sooner rather than later as she may become dehydrated. If its a simple case of tummy upset They might give you some prescription dog food which will be easily digested.
Good luck with Sasha.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2012, 06:58 AM
So sorry to hear about Sasha, and I'd be taking her back to the vet and ask him if it could be worms or parasites now. Is the diarrhea normal colour, or is it yellow???
tigerjayne
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Hi, I am at the vets tomorrow evening at 5.20 as they could not fit her in today.

I do not really know what colour it is as when she has run up the garden and done it, I go up there and I can not see where it is, its like water.
tigerjayne
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2012, 07:09 AM
UPDATE! Ok the vet gave her an injection for her temperature, they have sent the poo off for testing on everything she said and they gave me some flea, worm, tick preperation powder to mix in with her food, she said that is for Giardia too.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by tigerjayne View Post
UPDATE! Ok the vet gave her an injection for her temperature, they have sent the poo off for testing on everything she said and they gave me some flea, worm, tick preperation powder to mix in with her food, she said that is for Giardia too.
That is my suspiscion, that's why I asked about the colour of the dirrhea, but I didn't want to actually say it, because I'm becoming obsessed with giardia on here!

Don't be surprised if you get a negative result, because it's very, very difficult to get a positive diagnosis for this one and your vet will already have told you that, but if you paid quite a lot of money for the test (I have to pay about £70 instead of the usual test which is around £30) he can then decide from other results of the test whether it is or not.

If it is, don't worry too much, my dogs have had this critter quite a few times, and although it's very difficult to eradicate, it is easily treated with Panacur and/or Metronidazole. I would have thought your vet is going to prescribe this for you anyway, as it's so, so safe even for little puppies and he can then rule it out, and if you see a drastic change within a couple of days of giving the Panacur to Sasha, then I'm sure you can guarantee that this is the diagnosis.

Please get back to us, and I'm hoping she's still ok in herself, my dogs always were, it was the vomiting, refusing food on and off and that awful, awful diarrhea. Good luck with Sasha.
tigerjayne
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2012, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
That is my suspiscion, that's why I asked about the colour of the dirrhea, but I didn't want to actually say it, because I'm becoming obsessed with giardia on here!

Don't be surprised if you get a negative result, because it's very, very difficult to get a positive diagnosis for this one and your vet will already have told you that, but if you paid quite a lot of money for the test (I have to pay about £70 instead of the usual test which is around £30) he can then decide from other results of the test whether it is or not.

If it is, don't worry too much, my dogs have had this critter quite a few times, and although it's very difficult to eradicate, it is easily treated with Panacur and/or Metronidazole. I would have thought your vet is going to prescribe this for you anyway, as it's so, so safe even for little puppies and he can then rule it out, and if you see a drastic change within a couple of days of giving the Panacur to Sasha, then I'm sure you can guarantee that this is the diagnosis.

Please get back to us, and I'm hoping she's still ok in herself, my dogs always were, it was the vomiting, refusing food on and off and that awful, awful diarrhea. Good luck with Sasha.
Hi, I paid £75 for the tests on the poo, they said they will check for everything.
They gave me 3 sachets of Panacur for 3 days. Where do they get guardia from? I know it can be from Fox poo but she has not been near any as far as I know. They have sold me 4 cans of Royal Canin sensitive digestion tinned dog food for the weekend to mix the sachets in with.
I have to wait for the results to come back now.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Oh good, because that expensive test might show up some of these parasites at the *cyst* stage like my dog's did even if they don't see the parasite itself, plus other things they will also know from it.

Quite honestly, I think this is quite rife in the UK now, Gnasher on here knows a lot about this having lived near fields where they spread the human manure, it gets into water courses etc. etc. My dog is ball obsessed, her ball picks up all the wet muck off the ground and goes into her gob and this critter is carried in not only faeces, but water and soil.

gotta go now, sorry, will help later, and good luck, she'll be fine now she's got Panacur.
tigerjayne
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh good, because that expensive test might show up some of these parasites at the *cyst* stage like my dog's did even if they don't see the parasite itself, plus other things they will also know from it.

Quite honestly, I think this is quite rife in the UK now, Gnasher on here knows a lot about this having lived near fields where they spread the human manure, it gets into water courses etc. etc. My dog is ball obsessed, her ball picks up all the wet muck off the ground and goes into her gob and this critter is carried in not only faeces, but water and soil.

gotta go now, sorry, will help later, and good luck, she'll be fine now she's got Panacur.
Thanks for your help, have a go0od day. x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Hello Jayne , I am sorry to hear Sasha is poorly.

I would be inclined to give Sasha a starchy food to help firm things up so would feed her some boiled white rice cooked until it is sloppy, you could also use plain boiled mashed potato .This can be added to the vets food if you wish though for poorly tummies I prefer to feed white fish because it doesn't contain any fat (I buy frozen Coley, most supermarkets sell it in packs of six small blocks) .

I would also feed small frequent amounts of food at a time, just a couple of tablespoons every few hours to begin with.

I hope Sasha will be better soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >