View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anjulian
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2011, 11:19 AM

Advice- puppy with intestinal obstruction.

Hi guys, I am looking for some advice about my nearly 6 months old GsdxHusky. Tues eve he threw up his evening meal,and then kept throwing up. Looked like partially digested food, then over night and yesterday was chucking up frothy stuff, and even clear water. Rang the vets and took him in yesterday. He stayed there and had an xray,the results of which were that he had a large pocket of gas build up, but they couldnt see anything else.
Took him in first thing this morning and they should be operating now. Thing is , both my boys are on a raw diet. Vet has stipulated that he will have to be on something like chicken and rice ( she meant dried food ) until his stomach recovers. I said he does not eat dried food- tell me what to get. Answer was- oh no, will give you some tins for him, tinned meat. Has anyone else had to deal with changing a dogs diet like this, surely the change of food now would be detrimental to his digestive tract.
I was thinking of lightly cooking chicken etc and scrambled eggs, the sort of thing you would feed a human in the same position. My worst thought was, why feed him rice ? I know its bland, but so is chicken.Anyone been through something similar and what did they do? ( they have been on totally raw for 2 months now) I would much appreciate your input on this.
I said it would be best for him to be on a drip while they operate because he is going to be so dehydrated else, they said it was an option. While I was waiting to sort out the money this morning,was in the office for over an hour. I could hear him crying out the back,he sounded really stressed. I dont think I want them to keep him overnight for this reason. He is very husky like in this way and does not like being alone. Thanks to anyone with any info for me. Very worrying time.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Not many vets understand or know much about raw so tend to be wary of it. Mine aren't pro-raw as such but know I feed it and don't object - they don't really tend to give much nutritional advice because it's not what they're there for.
Anyway, when Casper was ill with a bad tummy bug/possible blockage, we went to the emergency vet who gave him an anti-sickness jab (if it was an obstruction, this wouldn't stop him being sick) and told to feed him light meals. I explained that he was raw fed and he said just sticking to one protein source, e.g. just chicken, would be fine.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your poor puppy, what a nightmare for you and him, but at least he's now in the right place to get the help he needs.

Regarding the food, they want him to be eating something which is the easiest to digest after the trauma the digestive system has gone through, hence the chicken. I'm with you on the rice, I don't feed it, I use mash (no butter or salt) but you will have to ask the vet if that's ok if you don't want to do the rice. Plain old boiled chicken would be good, or minced fish you can buy in P@H in frozen blocks that you just microwave.

The food they will probably give you is the Hill's I/D chicken and rice (they also do a kibble), but neither of my dogs will go near it, so if you can, then cook your own chicken.

All the best with him, I hope you can have him back later on today, but it's always best to listen to them IF they insist on keeping him in, and I suppose you can always go and visit him, or maybe that might make him worse, don't know. Good luck, you must be in bits.

The chicken won't be forever, it'll only be until all is well and you can resort back to his usual diet, so don't worry that it's going to be forever, coz it isn't, he'll be fine in a few days, but always listen to the vet.
Anjulian
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Thank you both for that. I might just take the cans and boil him up some chicken. Strange you said about the anti sickness meds and saying it wouldnt stop if it was a blockage. Thing is, he hadnt been sick from the time We picked him up at 8.30 last night until I took him back at 8.30 this morning and told them he had not been sick. They have still gone ahead with the op. Will be interesting to see what, if anything, they show me has been removed. I will ask to see the xrays as well. thanks again. Going to ring them in 10 minutes to find out what they say about it.
He does have a habit of eating everything in site though and has previously brought up bits of tennis balls and what looked like a bit of rubber. It is hard stopping him as he dives,grabs and swallows. People would think he was starving,only the fact that he is overweight by a couple of kilos would convince them otherwise. Had been cutting down on his food gradually in an attempt to feel his ribs. Yes he is greedy.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Oh dear what an anxious time.Watery vomit can be a sign of a blockage further down the digestive track.It may not neccessarily show on the xray but if it is the case the operation will uncover it.If you don't want to feed a grain with the chicken you could try sweet potato which cooks quickly and will be easy for puppy to digest until back on track.It must be very upsetting for you but take advice of your vet on puppies after care and what is needed as they will know best. Best wishes for puppies recovery.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 02:12 PM
There should be no problem feeding him lightly cooked fish, eggs(scrambled without milk) or chicken with "sticky rice"(overcooked)whilst his intestines get back to normal. You coud then feed him raw-but minced/ground meat & bones
Sanddancer
New Member!
Male 

12-05-2011, 02:33 PM
I know exactly what you mean, my springer pup is exactly the same, it is hard stopping her as she dives,grabs and swallows. It is absolutely embarrasing at times. Hope your pup fully recovers.
Originally Posted by Anjulian View Post
Thank you both for that. I might just take the cans and boil him up some chicken. Strange you said about the anti sickness meds and saying it wouldnt stop if it was a blockage. Thing is, he hadnt been sick from the time We picked him up at 8.30 last night until I took him back at 8.30 this morning and told them he had not been sick. They have still gone ahead with the op. Will be interesting to see what, if anything, they show me has been removed. I will ask to see the xrays as well. thanks again. Going to ring them in 10 minutes to find out what they say about it.
He does have a habit of eating everything in site though and has previously brought up bits of tennis balls and what looked like a bit of rubber. It is hard stopping him as he dives,grabs and swallows. People would think he was starving,only the fact that he is overweight by a couple of kilos would convince them otherwise. Had been cutting down on his food gradually in an attempt to feel his ribs. Yes he is greedy.
Anjulian
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks again, I had forgotten about sweet potato,glad you reminded me Rueben. all this info is helpful as i have never had this problem before.
Have just spoken to the vet who says that they found a twisted loop of gut. She thinks he must have picked up something rancid,which started off the gas and hence the twisting. She also said that when they let the gas out- it was a terrible smell,quite dreadful. I did take an old bone off him the other day,he found it in the park.The reason for me taking it away was the fact that it was cooked. Anyway they have put his loop back into position and he is coming home tonight, with anti biotics,antacid,and some sort of paste to help with the diarrhoea that he has now got. Not sure if he will need a collar,she thinks that he may not be able to reach the wound. ( hope this is so,as they seem to hate collars) Thanks again for all your help and concern for my poor little pup.
Anjulian
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Forgot to say thanks for all the food sugestion,I am most grateful. Also to say that his best friend is a springer of the same age as him. If they see each other we have no chance, they roll around the grass,play fighting,chasing and generally wear each other out. Well mine gets worn out,not so much the spaniel. I do love springers but wouldnt have one, dont think I could cope with all that excess energy.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Oh good it's been sorted the sweet potato will help with the diarrhea too.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >