Our sister sites
Our sister sites
farleyf
New Member!
Female 

04-01-2010, 12:33 AM

Shih Tzu with sore ears

Hello Everyone:

Mu poor little dog has had a bad ear infection that has caused a "head tilt". He was on anti-biotics for 12 weeks, but it seems to have come back. He has a lot of wax coming from that ear.

I am not convinced the vet's are correct about the head tilt - they say his eyes are "OK" ( he has dry eye too) but I think he tiltys his head because he cannot see out of one eye - which seems to point downward.

Has anyone else had a problem like this ? Could the vet's be correct ?
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 04:21 AM
I am not really sure on the eye dropping thing but I do hope he is okay.
One of my dogs has had a few ear infections, and he does the head tilt due to that. I am not sure what antibiotics your dog was on but I know when my boy gets them he gets ear drops that are medicated to clear up the infection and I also have a none medicated one that cleanses the ear to reduce the chance of infections.
If you are not happy with the vets diagnosis I would be getting a second opinion also.
Good luck I do hope your boy improves.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 04:27 AM
Poor Boy Hope he's feeling better soon.

I use Thornit, it's fab stuff.....Have you ever heard of it? x
farleyf
New Member!
Female 

04-01-2010, 04:27 AM
Thank You for your reply. I was wondering - did your dog's head stay tilted - or get better ?
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 06:06 AM
Originally Posted by farleyf View Post
Thank You for your reply. I was wondering - did your dog's head stay tilted - or get better ?
His head tilting stops when the infection has cleared up, from what I understand an ear infection can affect their sense of balance and the head tilts. His ear also drops too and clears up when it has gone but I have all the stuff ready to go as he has skin allergies which increase the risk of ear infections
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 06:21 AM
My dogs also do the head tilt when they have ear problems. Even minor ones.

Hope your dog get's sorted soon. As Emrad says, if you are not happy with the prognosis from the vet, seek a second opinion.

Good luck!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by farleyf View Post
Hello Everyone:

Mu poor little dog has had a bad ear infection that has caused a "head tilt". He was on anti-biotics for 12 weeks, but it seems to have come back. He has a lot of wax coming from that ear.

I am not convinced the vet's are correct about the head tilt - they say his eyes are "OK" ( he has dry eye too) but I think he tiltys his head because he cannot see out of one eye - which seems to point downward.

Has anyone else had a problem like this ? Could the vet's be correct ?
Hi Gill some ear infections can become quite well established and may require further treatment or a different antibiotic.

Ear infections can certainly cause head tilt and shaking of the head (which can lead to further complications) they must also be very painful for a dog.

You really need to return to your vet ASAP to have the ears throughly examined and to obtain further treatment.
If you are not happy with the advice given by your current vet you are at liberty to seek advice from another vet.