View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2008, 09:18 AM
I`d put his bed in a crate in your room. Then when he`s older you can move the crate to where you want him to sleep. A pup this age is programmed by Nature to be in a group of other dogs, including his mum. Being alone is a no-no for survival so he`s distressed. He`s not being naughty - he`s being a dog. Being a Breeder doesn`t necessarilly make you a Fount of All Wisdom. Make your own mind up about how you want to treat your dog!
ellie.ford
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2008, 10:57 AM
I do sympathise with you. I had the same problem with Poppy (norfolk /yorki cross) I left her downstairs for a few nights, but she used to cry. I realised that all she wanted was her mum. So we brought her upstairs in her bed, put puppy pads down, so she could see she wasnt alone - the crying stopped and shes been a happy girl since.
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Sophie* View Post
We made it through the night!! He didn't cry ONCE during the night. Once he'd cried and whined and made a lot of noise, he settled down and had a great night. Not a peep from Oscar until I went down at 7 a.m. He didn't wee in his bed all night (!) although he did knock over his water bowl, I think we need a different one. I'm crating him for very short periods (5 to 10 mins) during the day while I'm here to get him used to it.

Thanks for the reassurance. He's a cutie and a really good boy. It just broke my heart to hear him cry, I'm such a softie!
So glad he made it through the night ok, I must admit, the first night I got Jake I went down and let him sleep on my bed to stop him crying. It was sleeping on the bed every night from then on in, not that i minded
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2008, 03:53 PM
I always have them with me, at one time I would sleep downstairs with them until they were going through the night but now I have them in the bedroom were I can get them outside when they wake up then settle them down again.

I find that dogs do settle better and quicker if someone is with them over night at first. They are also more confident and are happy to be left during the day as long as I tire them out before going out. I give the something like a stuffed Kong or juicy bone, when they have finished these they go to sleep.

Several of my adult dogs came with SA, by letting them sleep in my bedroom that quickly disappeared.

I have also found that puppies become clean and dry during the night much quicker if they sleep with me at first, to me that is a plus.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2008, 04:40 PM
o i remember this well ,with dylan and willow .when she came ,what your doing is right ,he will settle ,it is horrible .to leave the baby crying (which he is ) i think like stevie says a radio ,i allway leave radio on in the day ,whilst im out .it make them drift off music dos . good luck dont worry mom
henry06
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2008, 06:28 PM
When i had my pup I had the same thing. What i did was i slept on the setee with the dogs basket next to the setee. hen Henry then fell asleep i lifted him in the bed into the kitchen where he would be sleeping normally. Henry then slept all night and came to find me at about 5 in the morning. The next night i then put him in the kitchen he cried for a little while but then settled and he has been fine sleeping ever since. x
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Our mum is a breeder and she recommends you either take the puppy to bed with you in a cage or you sleep downstairs with him for a few nights gradually distancing yourself from him. This is the new thinking about bringing a new puppy home.

The old thinking distressed me terribly and has affected the whole of my life and mum would never do that again.

Thalice-Malice
English Setter
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2008, 11:59 PM
The noise that Kismet made at night was intolerable and the neighbours complained! you can see what I mean here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tigcIT8L_yk
We bought her a crate for the bedroom and gradually moved it downstairs. She now sleeps happily downstairs and can be left on her own without howling
Be strong, they do grow out of it.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 12:31 AM
I have always slept downstairs on the settee with the pup in its bed by the side of me. Then after a few nights I go upstairs and I have never had any problems. I suppose everyone has different ideas. The way I look at it the poor pup has lost its mum and siblings and in a strange home so they just need to know someone is there and they are not all alone.
Sophie*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Last night, he went into the crate with NO noise and slept for hours. Unfortunately, he started crying at 3 am and it was relentless. I gave up and got up at 6 to be with him. I'm going to give it another night or so downstairs. If he still cries, I'll bring the crate up to my bedroom although I have no idea if it will actually fit!
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >