Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Do those who believe that we can emulate wolf behaviour not worry that if they become ill, their dog will oust them?
I've always wondered that. I don't want to fight with my dog for leadership. And I certainly don't want him trying to over throw me every time I have a seizure!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
Why have you put your location as Thailand when you are posting from the UK?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 02:37 PM
What? A troll? In school holidays?
Well I`m......

somewhat unsurprised actually.
If it talks like a troll and walks like a troll it probably lives under a bridge.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-08-2011, 05:16 AM
Originally Posted by SibeVibe View Post
I wondered if you had noticed that by Series 7 Cesar uses the word 'dominance' less, never in some episodes. He refers to the dogs behaviour as 'excitement' more. He also uses positive reinforcement and explains why it is important.
Yes and he tries to touch them less also no? I have used the philosophy of rules boundaries and limitations more to establish a leadership role and never touched them. Our Bangkaew is also a primitive breed and the last thing one would want is to give violence as an example! Saying that psychological dominance is good for him as you give him an inch he will take a mile.

It's obvious this is because of the huge backlash he has seen from nearly every dog training organisation across the world as well as The Humane Society. I'd like to think that Dr Ian Dunbar gave him food for thought
Do you not find Dumbar very passive aggressive? He seems a bit resentful to me but he is maybe just shy. I do like his philosophy of talking to the dog though as I swear the Bangkaew understands! You can tell him to go and get the young dog and he will tackle him and herd him back and he certainly has never been trained to do it.

[QUOTE]Cesar Milan holds no formal canine qualifications. I have watched every episode of The Dog Whisperer, then again with the sound down, and listened to every episode with no visual and only a verbal commentary. ( If I am going to judge someones training techniques I want to make sure I am fully informed.)[/QUOTE

I have a Physics degree from St. Andrews but I am not interested in qualifications. I think Cesar knows what he is talking about.
I live with a raw ancient primitive breed. As well as my own dogs, I regularly observe large open packs of Siberian Huskies. Displays of submission and dominance are abundant. But when I step into the dog yard the dogs do not think 'here comes our alpha' they respond to me as their 'human handler'. Through canine understanding and dedicated positive reinforcement any issue I have ever had is now extinct
Have you seen the documentary about Inuit dogs? They say they are different from huskies. The Bangkaew used to bite and all we have done is exercise him properly and give him a lot of love and he totally respects us now. this is a breed that Thais freeze when they see but he can go anywhere and is now perfect.

His ethos of 'calm, assertive energy' is nothing new. Good dog trainers have been using this technique for decades.
This is exactly the point I have probably not been putting across very well. People who are at the stage of teaching 20 commands already have a dog that thinks they are the pack leader/handler and they more than likely already have calm assertive energy. So they are doing everything Cesar says. Cesar works with people who are nowhere near that. After they have worked with Cesar they are then ready to do all the Clicker training they want but if they do not have a calm assertive energy, they are not really going to be in control IMO. Do other popular trainers emphasize the calm assertive leader bit?
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-08-2011, 05:25 AM
Why have you put your location as Thailand when you are posting from the UK?
I have a Virtual Private Network/UK IP address. Do you want me to use my local IP address when I am on this site mum?
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-08-2011, 05:45 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
You can be the "leader" (for lack of a better word) while still using food or toys as a reward though. My dog certainly doesn't ignore me, in fact he's very quick to do as I ask 99% of the time. He's not so quick to respond to my husband and will blatantly ignore him at times. I'm the one who hands out treats and fun for quick responses while my husband tells him he's a good boy. .
Do not tell your husband but your dog knows who wears the trousers! Or probably just you have a more assertive energy when you are with the dog.
I don't see why doing as I ask shouldn't be fun for the dog .

When out a run and I see him go to roll in something I call him and he immediately comes because he thinks it is fun to be needed. He thinks he is working on the run, guarding the truck! If I call him in the apartment he only comes if he thinks I need him, which is never really the case.

[/QUOTE]yet in at least one episode CM tells someone they shouldn't reward their dog when the dog is being good. I disagree with that, how is the dog supposed to learn the right behaviour if the behaviour is never acknowledged?
[/QUOTE]

Cesar says only reward calm submissive energy/state so maybe he said do not reward excitement.

.[/QUOTE]
If I try to explain clicker training in psychological terms I get all muddled so I'm not going to go there Basically the click says to the dog "that's exactly the behaviour I want, there's a reward coming". You can do the same with a word, a whistle, a hand signal, a vibrating collar, a flashlight, pretty much anything really.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree and think it is a great tool
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 05:54 AM
TBH if it makes you happy to have such an ignorant view of why your dog behaves as he does then I don't have a problem with it.

If you really are in Thailand then I don't suppose you can do too much more harm to the dogs than would be their lot anyway.

OTOH how brilliant would it be if you could actually understand what is really happening and try and pass that knowledge on to other people in your country----if indeed it is your country? Shame you are unable to do that.

I rehomed a couple of dogs from Thailand recently so I have a good idea of the usual conditions they live in.

rune
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-08-2011, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Just something to think about.....

In a wolf pack, when the alpha becomes old, infirm or shows in any way weak, the 'followers' (beta wolves) will vie for leadership.

Do those who believe that we can emulate wolf behaviour not worry that if they become ill, their dog will oust them?
I have sometimes thought about that. In my case the dog when a puppy probably thought I was no leader of him because I can not jump up and make him stop doing something. I was able to get the message across with energy though. I think dogs are different to wolves , when Cesar's pitbull Daddy was 16 he still was pack leader. I think what dogs grow up thinking stays with them. My dog was taught a lesson by a few dogs when he was a puppy and, although he could probably give them a lesson now, he still gives them a wide berth now. I think my dog loves me too much to want to take over.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Bangkew do post some photographs of your dogs in the jungle, I am sure our members would love to see them .
I will try and do a video too. I am not much of a photographer and it is me who goes through the jungle. My wife goes to the beach and posts photographs to a [a social network] page she made for them though!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 06:31 AM
Most new people say hello, post photos of their dogs, chat, get to know us....
Then there are the attention seekers.
Page 43 of 49 « First < 33 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 > Last »