Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 02:44 PM

grooming dogs that hate it!!!!!

i have 2 lakeland x patterdale terriers and the bitch has long,curly fur.its need brushing regularly as it gets matted very easily...the only problem......she hates it!it turns into a fight for the brush!!!
Ive tried giving her toys,chews,bones etc to try and keep her still but she isnt interested.
any ideas to make grooming time easier would be very much appriciated
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Amie hates being groomed, I used to brush her as a pup so she got used too it, (that was a waste of time )

To be honest now I wait for the mats to start then she is clipped right back. Not idea because, she looks lovely when in full coat.But it very stressful for all concerned even trying to groom her. It is the only time she shows real aggression

The only thing we can use on her which helps a bit is a grooming glove don't know if that would be any good on your Breed ofDogs!!
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 06:52 AM
If she doesn't enjoy grooming, then make it as low key as possible, and make it worth her while! The type of brush you use will depend on the coat-type (I'll get back to that), but you also want to arm yourself with a fistful of treats (tiny bits). The key is to keep feeding the biting-end as you go. Start small - a few seconds - and build up to a few minutes, but make it a daily routine rather than a weekly torture. Follow it up with something she likes, like a walk, or game of tug, or dinner!

I'm a bit intrigued about this long curly coat - how long? how curly? How old is she? Is she spayed? I don't know patterdales, but I thought they tended to be either wiry or short and smooth, and I'm sure lakelands should be wiry. If you think you might be dealing with a wiry coat with a curly undercoat, then I can't recommend strongly enough that you learn how to strip out the undercoat. Yeah, that will take getting used to as well, but it will make grooming a much simpler affair after that as she'll only need a quick once-over with a terrier palm pad, and she'll repel water and dirt, and look doubly gorgeous into the bargain!

If it is a homogeneous long, curly coat, then I'd start off with a natural bristle brush and just run it over the surface to start with. Don't worry about the tats and mats just yet, you're trying to make her comfortable with being grromed first. When she's used to that, work up to a pin brush, again, keeping times short and feeding the head-end while she gets used to it.

If she's got a straightforward curly coat then by all means get her clipped to simplify the matter, but please, please, please check that you're not dealing with a lovely terriery double coat first, and get some advice if you're not sure. If she has got a coat worth stripping, then you're throwing away one of her greatest assets by clipping it short all over.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 07:00 AM
OMG! I've just looked up a couple of pictures you posted, and your babies are gorgeous - especially Lil! I could really do with some more photos to drool over!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Hi Patterlands Puppies should really be taught to be handled and groomed when they are tiny.

Your little dog has learnt grooming is not a pleasurable experience , it is a good idea to teach her otherwise because you are going to have to do it for a long time . Never shout or turn it into a game if she makes a fuss or you will reinforce the unwanted behaviour and grooming will always be a battle.

Try putting your little dog on a table daily, don't call her to you go and pick her up (never call a dog if you are going to do something unpleasant). Show her a high value treat , something she really loves a bit of meat or cheese and put it where she can see it but out of reach

Talking to her in a bright voice, gently stroke her and run your hands over her body, pick up her feet but do nothing more, praise her lots and give her the treat.

Do this a few times so she gets to associate being examined with pleasure. Move on to showing her the brush, let her sniff it and pretend to brush her again using the treat and praise.

The next step is to gentle brush for just a moment and praise all the time she is good. Gradually build up to combing and brushing her properly.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 11:03 AM
agree with mini ..............

mine all Q up for grooming they love it but they have been used to it since puppies ...they see it as time alone on the table with me LOL one to one
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 12:37 PM
ben hates being groomed, and as hes got long fur and short its difficult, he will run away,hides behind the door LOL but what i do is get him when hes laying down stroke him then slip the brush into my hand and do it like that, he dont like his tail being done at all and will show his teeth, i did tell him just try it mate n your lose them teeth. now he just sulks, better than b4.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by bens mum View Post
ben hates being groomed, and as hes got long fur and short its difficult, he will run away,hides behind the door LOL but what i do is get him when hes laying down stroke him then slip the brush into my hand and do it like that, he dont like his tail being done at all and will show his teeth, i did tell him just try it mate n your lose them teeth. now he just sulks, better than b4.
perhaps invest in a grooming table with a noose ....i wouldn't be without mine I only use the noose for keeping the head up and keeping the pups secure
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
Amie hates being groomed, I used to brush her as a pup so she got used too it, (that was a waste of time )

To be honest now I wait for the mats to start then she is clipped right back. Not idea because, she looks lovely when in full coat.But it very stressful for all concerned even trying to groom her. It is the only time she shows real aggression

The only thing we can use on her which helps a bit is a grooming glove don't know if that would be any good on your Breed ofDogs!!
Exactly the same with my long coated gsd Cassie, she's a nightmare! I once saw a horse tethered in a stable which gave me a great idea. If you use 2 leads, tie one to something on the right hand side, and the other to something on the left hand side, make the leads quite tight, then she's got nowhere to go - problem solved!
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by duboing View Post
I'm a bit intrigued about this long curly coat - how long? how curly? How old is she? Is she spayed? I don't know patterdales, but I thought they tended to be either wiry or short and smooth, and I'm sure lakelands should be wiry. If you think you might be dealing with a wiry coat with a curly undercoat, then I can't recommend strongly enough that you learn how to strip out the undercoat. Yeah, that will take getting used to as well, but it will make grooming a much simpler affair after that as she'll only need a quick once-over with a terrier palm pad, and she'll repel water and dirt, and look doubly gorgeous into the bargain!

If it is a homogeneous long, curly coat, then I'd start off with a natural bristle brush and just run it over the surface to start with. Don't worry about the tats and mats just yet, you're trying to make her comfortable with being grromed first. When she's used to that, work up to a pin brush, again, keeping times short and feeding the head-end while she gets used to it.
hey,her coat is really strange really.
He mom is a patterdale with wiry coat and her dad is a lakeland x patterdale with a long soft coat,lil has taken after her daddy,with long soft fur,when she has allowed me to groom her she looks beautiful.she is 6 months old and hasnt been spayed yet.we have always brushed her from the day we had her,ill try the treat way around it

thanks for your advise
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >