Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tartan1314
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2011, 05:21 PM

Bald patch on tail

Gabby, my staffie, has a bald patch in the middle of her tail... which has got a bit bigger over time. Vet says that it is something to do with a gland on her tail and it just happens. However, does anyone have any ideas on something that might help reduce or stop the hair loss (or even get it to grow again)?
Thanks
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 06:20 PM
No but my old Hound has one as well. So let me know if you find a cure! I had put it down to him falling over on his bottom, but it doesn`t seem to be getting better.
There was a thread recently remarking on the fact that many dogs had white hairs halfway down the tail - for the same reason I assume?
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Yes about half way down the tail there is a gland, the positioning of which is usually identified by a darker shading or different colour of fur in that spot.

Angel's fur once fell out here though the skin on the bald bit looked a bit scaly and was quite sore (he wouldn't let me touch the area), it turned out his tail gland was infected he was put a course of antibiotics, it soon cleared up and the fur soon grew back.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
Yes about half way down the tail there is a gland, the positioning of which is usually identified by a darker shading or different colour of fur in that spot.

Angel's fur once fell out here though the skin on the bald bit looked a bit scaly and was quite sore (he wouldn't let me touch the area), it turned out his tail gland was infected he was put a course of antibiotics, it soon cleared up and the fur soon grew back.
Thanks for that. I`ll have a word with the vet next time he goes.
tartan1314
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2011, 07:12 PM
That's an idea... will check with vet. thanks
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post

Same here. Otis developed a bald patch half way down his tail and it really irritated him. The vet said this gland was infected and put him on antibiotics and his too cleared up very quickly. He's not had a problem with it since.
black666
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2011, 09:28 PM
OMG! I never knew that Ziva has a huge bald patch on her tail and she has also taken to chasing and chewin her tail, could this all be signs of gland infection?
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by black666 View Post
OMG! I never knew that Ziva has a huge bald patch on her tail and she has also taken to chasing and chewin her tail, could this all be signs of gland infection?
Sounds like it could be a possibility.