View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Wow this threads moving fast! Tried a few times to sit down to reply (keep getting distracted) every time I come back there's about 5 more pages! So I've had to skip the last 5-10 or so.

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I hang my head in shame to be a member of a species that allows, encourages and even enjoys this vile sport that has taken the lives of two beautiful creatures.

"Andrew Tyler of Animal Aid described the gruelling four-and-a-half-mile marathon as one of the most ‘distressing’ races he could recall and echoed criticisms of the BBC, saying: ‘It is particularly callous and disgusting that a member of the commentary team should describe the dead horses as they lay on the course as an “obstacle”.’

‘And the BBC – shame on you. No mention of what’s happened, even when there’s 2 dead covered horses on screen.’
On The Mail on Sunday website, commenters also expressed outrage. ‘Jax’ branded the race ‘disgusting and cruel’, adding: ‘It’s not the Grand National, it’s a national disgrace.’

.....and here's why:

Bookmakers William Hill said more than £250 million was gambled yesterday.

I'm utterly disgusted......... exactly as I thought I would be......

That sum's it up for me really. People happy to exploit animals with little regard for the price they (the animals) might have to pay. It's sickening.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Azz, sorry, but some of your comments show a totally lack of understanding of the horse world, the wild horse here in the UK, consists of native ponies, there conformation makes them harder, and able to cope with such rough terrain.
I've never said I'm some equestrian aficionado. And I don't need to be. If we as humans are putting animals through unnecessary suffering - then we shouldn't do it, unless we have no choice (ie, when it comes to food). And we most certainly shouldn't do it for 'fun'.

Who said anything about wild horses in the UK? I said horses in the wild - and if there are no native horses then most would (or should) assume I was referring to them in their native habitat - wherever that may be.

Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Ah, you can't beat the dogsey classic, my moral code is superior to yours.
Oh please this is ridiculous - is that what people are starting to say when they've lost their argument nowadays?

We're speaking out for animals because we care about them - not for some petty game.

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yeah and it only warrants attention from those who dont like it, once a year!
We don't have to be on some sort of crusade 24/7 to be allowed an opinion. And neither does it mean that for the rest of the year we think it's ok. I don't even know why I'm having to state this. Since when were there prerequisites for saying you're against something - how odd!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
We don't have to be on some sort of crusade 24/7 to be allowed an opinion. And neither does it mean that for the rest of the year we think it's ok. I don't even know why I'm having to state this. Since when were there prerequisites for saying you're against something - how odd!
I wouldnt expect a "crusade" Azz, but I also dont expect people to pop up once a year either, it does nothing for their credibility and their obvious true feelings. if they genuinely wanted it to stop they would make that their goal, wouldnt they? I mean thats the only way to get it to stop, yes? Public pressure?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 07:50 PM
I wouldnt expect a "crusade" Azz, but I also dont expect people to pop up once a year either, it does nothing for their credibility and their obvious true feelings.
Er.... we only "pop up" once a year because that's how often the GN is held...... once TOO often for my liking.

This has no bearing on how I feel for the other 11 months of the year, which is exactly the same.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Mention what you like Lynn, its fine by me. Thing is you were always the one saying you were not finding stats, but you expect me to? Come on now, be fair.

If you can back up your sweeping statement, do so.
Nope----I am fed up of 'proving' things to people ---take it or leave it (and I am sure you will leave it)----but I now know where to find the figures to back up what I felt before but couldn't prove.

If I cared what you thought or maybe thought it would push you out of your entrenched opinion I might bother. But it won't so I won't.

I will risk my 'credibility' along with the other predictable comments.

rune
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-04-2011, 08:20 PM
I wouldnt expect a "crusade" Azz, but I also dont expect people to pop up once a year either, it does nothing for their credibility and their obvious true feelings.
How do you know their true feelings?

And why do people have to be on some sort of 'campaign' (or go on about them all the time) to be allowed an opinion on the matter?

There are many things I feel strongly about, but if I went on about them all the time I'd probably have no friends left

Additionally I don't have the time or resources to campaign for everything I might like to - but that doesn't give anyone the right to say I'm not allowed an opinion.

if they genuinely wanted it to stop they would make that their goal, wouldnt they? I mean thats the only way to get it to stop, yes? Public pressure?
Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Maybe they have other things they feel more strongly about and want to see them sorted first?

If only we had all the time and resources we need to fight all the injustices and wrongs in the world. Life just isn't that simple.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:23 PM
The one yesterday was better:

BECAUSEICOULDNTSEE. Or because I refused to!
Thats the one I bet on...cos of the name
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Dawn, for someone who doesn't care, you are spending a lot of time on this thread.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But you dont mind dogs being used for our entertainment!
What entertaining thing do dogs do for humans that puts their lives at risk?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Dawn, for someone who doesn't care, you are spending a lot of time on this thread.
She does care. She enjoys making everyone aware that she believes animals lives are expendable, as long as there is a sporting reason for it - horse racing and shooting to name a few. Blood lust some might call it.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE=Azz;2231768]Oh please this is ridiculous - is that what people are starting to say when they've lost their argument nowadays?

What argument have I lost? the post you quoted was the second one from me on this thread. Despite not actually giving much of an opinion on the GN or racing in general, people seem determined to keep putting me into what they think is the appropriate box, based on what I'm not sure.

The comment was in response to the insinuation that if you don't think the same way as another person, then you are not a dog lover. That would imply, given this is a dog forum, that the person doing the accusing thinks that in some way the accused is lesser than them, hence my comment about moral codes and superiority.
Page 42 of 52 « First < 32 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 > Last »