Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 06:30 PM

Opinions...

My daughter is a very competant JH.She has done well at open shows and shows in breed classes holding her own.
She shows an elkhound in JH...they are a free standing baited breed and if you move..they move.They should be intent on the bait and alert.However JH judges now she is older want her to do things like walk round the dog while the dog stands still so that she doesn't get in between the judge and the dog.Now thats ok with a stacked dog...or a small dog,but there is no way she could do it with an elkhound.The judge yesterday suggested she spends HOURS practicing in the garden... ...THE ONLY THING THIS WOULD ACHIEVE IS TO TURN THE BOYS INTO LIVING STATUES!
I think JH classes should be training grounds for the handlers of tomorrow....why ask them to do something that is never seen in a breed ring? Shouldn't the judge take into account the breed on the end of the lead.To me it should be about getting the best from your dog..looking good and complimenting your dog.Am I just being one of those 'sour faced mothers' we all hate.
PS she still won her JH class yesterday
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Hi Archer - sorry don't have any advice re: handling as I haven't done any handling comps but just wanted to say well done.

Although I agree its about the breed - however, I guess one of the key handling skills is never get between the judge and dog!

Could you not teach your boys a stand stay command? Just an idea.

Again, well done!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
My daughter is a very competant JH.She has done well at open shows and shows in breed classes holding her own.
She shows an elkhound in JH...they are a free standing baited breed and if you move..they move.They should be intent on the bait and alert.However JH judges now she is older want her to do things like walk round the dog while the dog stands still so that she doesn't get in between the judge and the dog.Now thats ok with a stacked dog...or a small dog,but there is no way she could do it with an elkhound.The judge yesterday suggested she spends HOURS practicing in the garden... ...THE ONLY THING THIS WOULD ACHIEVE IS TO TURN THE BOYS INTO LIVING STATUES!
I think JH classes should be training grounds for the handlers of tomorrow....why ask them to do something that is never seen in a breed ring? Shouldn't the judge take into account the breed on the end of the lead.To me it should be about getting the best from your dog..looking good and complimenting your dog.Am I just being one of those 'sour faced mothers' we all hate.
PS she still won her JH class yesterday
You are not one of those sour faced mothers as you put it.
I think you have raised some valid points.
Why do you need to train a dog to do something that is never seen in a breed ring.
Our Breed is stacked and also free standing,so we do move around the dog,i prefer free standing to be honest.I hate to see dogs looking like statue's.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2007, 06:41 PM
I know just how you feel!

Although I don't have kids myself so I'm not one of the dreaded 'parents at ringside' I have judged several JH classes at Ch shows. I detest the way they prance about! They attract far more attention to themselves than the dog - surely this is the complete opposite to what is wanted in a breed ring? I think junior handling is now something totally different from handling in a breed ring. No offence to those that go into these classes but it seems to be all about knowing the moves and what patterns the judge asks you to do. IMO this is nothing like handling as I see it - i.e. trying to get your dog looking the best it possibly can.

Just my opinion

Debs
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Hi Archer - sorry don't have any advice re: handling as I haven't done any handling comps but just wanted to say well done.

Although I agree its about the breed - however, I guess one of the key handling skills is never get between the judge and dog!

Could you not teach your boys a stand stay command? Just an idea.

Again, well done!

Yes I suppose I could ..but our breed is never 'over-trained' since this makes them loose that sparkle.Its hard to explain...They are never expected to stand like statues.Yes they should stand when asked but more often than not you see them shifting,repositioning,trying harder to please the handler.
Maybe we'll just leave the JH till our new baby comes along later in the year
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
I know just how you feel!

Although I don't have kids myself so I'm not one of the dreaded 'parents at ringside' I have judged several JH classes at Ch shows. I detest the way they prance about! They attract far more attention to themselves than the dog - surely this is the complete opposite to what is wanted in a breed ring? I think junior handling is now something totally different from handling in a breed ring. No offence to those that go into these classes but it seems to be all about knowing the moves and what patterns the judge asks you to do. IMO this is nothing like handling as I see it - i.e. trying to get your dog looking the best it possibly can.

Just my opinion

Debs
You have put in words the way I feel exactly....thankyou.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 07:15 PM
The thing to bear in mind of course that it is a handling class, and not a breed class. That isnt to say that you shouldnt get the best from the breed of dog you are handling of course, just pointing out handling are just that ......after all, how many times do you get asked to complete an 'E' in breed classes

I stay away from the ring when my lad is in competition, because I cant abide the pushy mother types whininging and wittering (regardless of whether I might agree with them or not :lol).
He gets asked to handle all sorts of breeds for people, and even when handling one of the breeds who dont usually have their teeth/bite assessed in breed classes, he was still expected to show it in JH under some judges who may not be familiar with such a breed.

If you get your daughter to practise with the dog those things which you might not be asked in the breed ring, it would demonstrate her ability to 'handle' and that extra rapport with the dog.
Many people who are asked to judge JH know sfa about handling (most of those judge the dog rather than the handler) - you just have to take the ups with the downs

well done to your daughter for her win
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
something totally different from handling in a breed ring. No offence to those that go into these classes but it seems to be all about knowing the moves and what patterns the judge asks you to do. IMO this is nothing like handling as I see it - i.e. trying to get your dog looking the best it possibly can.

Just my opinion

Debs
The art is in completing all the moves whilst still managing to make sure the dog is shown to advantage.

I agree there is some hideously over the top handling, where the dog might just as well have stayed in the car!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Sorry I have to agree with thandi here, it isn't actually a breed class, it is a handling class. So yes I can agree with what the judge asked her to do, especially as she was between the dog and the judge. They are actually 'supposed' to be judging the handlers ability, the dog is irrelevant to a certain degree, whereas in a breed class they are 'supposed' to be judging the dog.

I don't know how often they do actually judge what they are ment to these days mind.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
The thing to bear in mind of course that it is a handling class, and not a breed class. That isnt to say that you shouldnt get the best from the breed of dog you are handling of course, just pointing out handling are just that ......after all, how many times do you get asked to complete an 'E' in breed classes

I stay away from the ring when my lad is in competition, because I cant abide the pushy mother types whininging and wittering (regardless of whether I might agree with them or not :lol).
He gets asked to handle all sorts of breeds for people, and even when handling one of the breeds who dont usually have their teeth/bite assessed in breed classes, he was still expected to show it in JH under some judges who may not be familiar with such a breed.

If you get your daughter to practise with the dog those things which you might not be asked in the breed ring, it would demonstrate her ability to 'handle' and that extra rapport with the dog.
Many people who are asked to judge JH know sfa about handling (most of those judge the dog rather than the handler) - you just have to take the ups with the downs

well done to your daughter for her win
I can appreciate what you're saying...but then that means that she is never going to compete in JH on a level playing field.I would not ever train one of my dogs to stand while she walked round him as this would affect their chances in the breed ring.In other words I would need to buy a breed that is more 'sympathetic' to the way a JH class is judged rather than a breed that we like and that suits us
At the end of the day its of no great consequence since she prefers the breed ring Shes had some good wins in both
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >