View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Just been reading this out to Gorden who has had dealings with Asbergers in children and he says Fudgeley has hit the nail on the head with her advice.

He does say it does sound a bit like OCD also.

As for someone telling him he is going to hell give him a cuddle and tell him they are talking nonsense who on earth tells a child of any age they are going to hell for being naughty.

No sure about your neck of the woods but I know round here it is a nightmare getting statements for children in need in schools who are special needs our friend was a SENCO for a long while and got so frustrated over the money side of things and getting the statements for them.

Give him a hug from me and good luck.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Just been reading this out to Gorden who has had dealings with Asbergers in children and he says Fudgeley has hit the nail on the head with her advice.

He does say it does sound a bit like OCD also.

As for someone telling him he is going to hell give him a cuddle and tell him they are talking nonsense who on earth tells a child of any age they are going to hell for being naughty.

No sure about your neck of the woods but I know round here it is a nightmare getting statements for children in need in schools who are special needs our friend was a SENCO for a long while and got so frustrated over the money side of things and getting the statements for them.

Give him a hug from me and good luck.
thanks for that, yes he is OCD too. Just got him to calm down on washing his hands......he washed them red raw poor lad. After touching anything and everything....but funnily enough he never bothers after touching the dogs . He had IEPs for over a year but the last teacher stopped them

I am very pushy and if he needs help i will get it for him.

He loves his hugs and will always appreciate extras so I will pass on in the morning x
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by melsgems View Post
A while back our sons teacher told us she thought he was dyslexic but as the years have progressed we are realising there is more to it than that. He shows classic signs of aspergers syndrome.

His headteacher agrees it is a possible conclusion.

I have an appointment to see the doctor on Friday, but what happens after that?

whats the procedure for diagnosis?

I have read up on it but not much is said on the families experiences.

He has no idea he might have a problem but he knows something is different about him. He a very poor short term memory but long term is amazing. He is ahead of where he should be for reading and about right for all other subjects. He is 8 years old, can't use a knife and fork at all, holds pens oddly. He is obsessive over things and spends hours worrying over things

Any experiences on here?
As you are worried that your son may have Asbergers Syndrome I believe the best thing you can do is to first see your GP (by yourself). Tell him all your worries about your son and ask if he is willing to refer him for a paediatric assessment at a Child Development Centre. This assessment will involve a multi-disciplinary team of health professionals, including paediatrician, physiotherapist, OT, SLT as well as a clinical child psychologist, A full assessment will take place over a few days. He will first be seen by a Paediatric Consultant, who will decide which other disciplines need to be involved in the assessment.
I hope your GP will agree to refer for an assessment, as I think this is the best route for an accurate diagnosis. You will then have the ongoing support you need to help your son. I do hope all goes well for you both.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
As you are worried that your son may have Asbergers Syndrome I believe the best thing you can do is to first see your GP (by yourself). Tell him all your worries about your son and ask if he is willing to refer him for a paediatric assessment at a Child Development Centre. This assessment will involve a multi-disciplinary team of health professionals, including paediatrician, physiotherapist, OT, SLT as well as psychologist, A full assessment will take place over a few days. He will first be seen by a Paediatric Consultant, who will decide which other disciplines need to be involved in the assessment.
I hope your GP will agree to refer for an assessment, as I think this is the best route for an accurate diagnosis. You will then have the ongoing support you need to help your son. I do hope all goes well for you both.

thankyou very much for that, I will def go on my own now x
seren1981
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:54 PM
I am not sure if I can be of any use but I was diagnosed with aspergers just over a year ago (I am 29 now) after being passed round the mental health services for the past 12 years! I was a bit similar to your son, but while I was at school, they did not recognise anything like that - I was just 'naughty' or 'attention seeking' It was a bit difficult as I am quite intelligent, but had no idea what was going on for a lot of the time, the teachers though I was being difficult on purpose.

The most important things to me are having a good routine and not having people stop me from doing thing I need to do - I used to get told off for rocking so things would build up and I would end up banging my head. My senses (and most people on the spectrum) also get overloaded easily, for example, today on the bus a girl was eating crisps really noisily (I could hear her through my ear plugs) and they had a strong smell so I had to get off, I got angry with her and then myself.

I am not sure if you are interested, but feel free to ask any questions if you want.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2011, 11:37 PM
your son will have to be assesd by a dr, my son has adhd but has similar symtons as aspergers he wa diagnosed at 4(hes 17 now) excellent reader but was late in his speach,porr short term memory but great long term memory has photgraphic memory as well,my friends son same age was diagnosed with aspergers as i slipped a book in her pram as everyone was talking about her son and i wanted to help she read the book and went stright to the drs and he was diagnosed straight away they used to go to each others house to "play " but never played and never kooked at each other when talking lol,
if he is diagnosed with it you need to keep on top of school etc we were let down by the school in the end but hopefully you wont be
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Hiya
I have taught a few autistic children and a few with aspergers.

I also have experience of a child who gets exceptionally worrid and a bit OCD about things. So hugs x
First of all, can I recommend this book:
http://www.apa.org/pubs/magination/441A314.aspx
It is a book full of cognitive behaviour therapies which was invaluable to us,even I use some of the techniques these days. You can work through it with you son and it will give him coping mechanisms to deal with his worries..it really is fabulous.

Second, yes go to the GP on your own. Sadly schools have very little money and in general terms you will be lucky to get any help or real support unless your child is about 2 years behind where he should be. I know that is awful, but that's the way of things unfortunatley and in the current cuts climate it can only get worse. Your GP is the best and quickest route for this. Go on your own and tell him EVERYTHING, bombard him and let yourself cry if you feel that way. {Been there} He needs to get into the system that way.

My final word of advice....is PUSH...you get NOTHING if you don't push...don't ever sit back and expect the help and support to just come to you, it won't. All the way through the process you have to push, push, push. I have been advising people to do that for years and the ones that did are the ones that got the support they needed for their child, don't let it go.

PM me if you want to chat x
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by seren1981 View Post
I am not sure if I can be of any use but I was diagnosed with aspergers just over a year ago (I am 29 now) after being passed round the mental health services for the past 12 years! I was a bit similar to your son, but while I was at school, they did not recognise anything like that - I was just 'naughty' or 'attention seeking' It was a bit difficult as I am quite intelligent, but had no idea what was going on for a lot of the time, the teachers though I was being difficult on purpose.

The most important things to me are having a good routine and not having people stop me from doing thing I need to do - I used to get told off for rocking so things would build up and I would end up banging my head. My senses (and most people on the spectrum) also get overloaded easily, for example, today on the bus a girl was eating crisps really noisily (I could hear her through my ear plugs) and they had a strong smell so I had to get off, I got angry with her and then myself.

I am not sure if you are interested, but feel free to ask any questions if you want.
thankyou, William has tendancies for day dreaming at school as he gets lost with all the information being bombarded at him I think. He is very sensitive to sounds and smell and doesn't realise that saying "pooo that lady smells" is not the done thing lol . He is also senstive to heat, hates hot rooms, hot weather, hot baths/showers etc. Also touch senstive he cant touch many things as it goes through him. I thought he was being awkward but seems maybe not now

William is not struggling with his work and reading and Maths he is ahead, writing and spelling are a bit on the low side but nothing to concern the school just now. Thankyou so much for your reply it means a lot x
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
your son will have to be assesd by a dr, my son has adhd but has similar symtons as aspergers he wa diagnosed at 4(hes 17 now) excellent reader but was late in his speach,porr short term memory but great long term memory has photgraphic memory as well,my friends son same age was diagnosed with aspergers as i slipped a book in her pram as everyone was talking about her son and i wanted to help she read the book and went stright to the drs and he was diagnosed straight away they used to go to each others house to "play " but never played and never kooked at each other when talking lol,
if he is diagnosed with it you need to keep on top of school etc we were let down by the school in the end but hopefully you wont be

Yes William has an amazing photographic memory too. The things he remembers....he even said he rememberd when he used to be a girl . I ignored that comment lol and let it pass. Thanks for replying xx
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Hiya
I have taught a few autistic children and a few with aspergers.

I also have experience of a child who gets exceptionally worrid and a bit OCD about things. So hugs x
First of all, can I recommend this book:
http://www.apa.org/pubs/magination/441A314.aspx
It is a book full of cognitive behaviour therapies which was invaluable to us,even I use some of the techniques these days. You can work through it with you son and it will give him coping mechanisms to deal with his worries..it really is fabulous.

Second, yes go to the GP on your own. Sadly schools have very little money and in general terms you will be lucky to get any help or real support unless your child is about 2 years behind where he should be. I know that is awful, but that's the way of things unfortunatley and in the current cuts climate it can only get worse. Your GP is the best and quickest route for this. Go on your own and tell him EVERYTHING, bombard him and let yourself cry if you feel that way. {Been there} He needs to get into the system that way.

My final word of advice....is PUSH...you get NOTHING if you don't push...don't ever sit back and expect the help and support to just come to you, it won't. All the way through the process you have to push, push, push. I have been advising people to do that for years and the ones that did are the ones that got the support they needed for their child, don't let it go.

PM me if you want to chat x
I will have a look at that book, it would probably help his anxieties. I try and play them down as much as I can as they keep him awake at night. But its hard and he is so over the top with them. I fear that as the kids in his class realise the reaction they get from "scaring " him the more it will happen. Luckily he will tell me anything so I can deal with it straight away.

I will push don't worry about that. Luckily for now his school work is not suffering as long as he enjoys the subject he will work at it....sadly he hates Literacy and spelling lol but loves maths, science and reading. His dad is an electrician so we are hoping that he will look for trade work when older ( early I know but hey I need a new house building )

For now I just want it recognised so we can help him overcome his fears, anxieties and social and dexterity probs.

Thanks for the advice and I may well PM you as things progress

xx
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »