Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 06:45 PM

Any idea what this could be? Pic included

It's a little bald spot on the side of Tilly's face. I first noticed it after she had been to the groomers a few weeks ago & wondered if the muzzle had been rubbing, but now notice it has got bigger. It's about 1cm & on closer inspection has a little red spot in the middle. It's not bothering her, but it is me.
I thought it could be a tick, but can't see anything in there.
Also concerned about taking her to the vet because she can't be examined without a muzzle on.
Don't know what to do?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Don't know what that might be.

Would it be possible to e-mail the picture to your vet and if so see what he has to say about it. Maybe they would sedate Tilly if they felt it needed further investigation I know they would have to sedate Ollie to examine him in any depth.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Don't know what that might be.

Would it be possible to e-mail the picture to your vet and if so see what he has to say about it. Maybe they would sedate Tilly if they felt it needed further investigation I know they would have to sedate Ollie to examine him in any depth.
Good idea thanks - though maybe we will try & get a clearer picture. I hate the thought of having her sedated, but the fact that it has grown is worrying, it started off as about 1/2 a cm & hardly noticed, but now it is very visible
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 07:01 PM
If it continues to grow, have a word with your vet. And check her for other bald spots in case it`s ringworm (sorry).
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
If it continues to grow, have a word with your vet. And check her for other bald spots in case it`s ringworm (sorry).
Thanks Claire, She is due to have her worming tablet in fact she is a little late (my fault) because I usually give her frontline & drontal & was thinking of changing to Advocate so haven't given her the drontal as I was waiting until the usual frontline time was due,if that makes sense! and I have been feeding her part raw for the last month, don't know if that could cause it.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Ringworm isn't actually a worm - bit of a confusing name. It's a fungal infection so wormers won't prevent it. It's quite contagious so if she rubbed on something that had ringworm fungal spores on it, and nicked/grazed the skin a little, it could've entered that way. Cats quite often catch it too and spread it with their nails, as it requires the skin to be broken to be transmitted. It's called ringworm as it displays in a ring shape, with raised edges - the inside will often look dry, red and start peeling.
It can be diagnosed with a skin scraping, either checked under blacklight (lots of ringworm types will glow but not all of them) or by a sample being 'grown' (takes a little while) but another option is to treat it with antifungals and see if it improves. The vets will have something like Malaseb shampoo to use but when my chinchillas had it I alternated between the Malaseb, athlete's foot powder (as athlete's food is a fungal infection) and diluted tea tree oil (natural antifungal, but do be careful as it's toxic to some animals)
Be careful as it can spread to other pets (any species) and humans too - I caught it off my chinchillas and it was very itchy!
Shani
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Ringworm is a fungus infection, It starts with a small red area & expands, like ripples in a pond. After a while healthy tisue regrows in the middle giving the 'ring' effect.
It is caught from contact with the infection. Such as, maybe an earlier dog at the groomers had to be muzzled & had it, the infection would stick to the inside of the muzzle & come off on the next dogs to use it.
This is the best way I can describe it, so I appologise if it's not exact.

Posted same time as Kylyr.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Ringworm isn't actually a worm - bit of a confusing name. It's a fungal infection so wormers won't prevent it. It's quite contagious so if she rubbed on something that had ringworm fungal spores on it, and nicked/grazed the skin a little, it could've entered that way. Cats quite often catch it too and spread it with their nails, as it requires the skin to be broken to be transmitted. It's called ringworm as it displays in a ring shape, with raised edges - the inside will often look dry, red and start peeling.
It can be diagnosed with a skin scraping, either checked under blacklight (lots of ringworm types will glow but not all of them) or by a sample being 'grown' (takes a little while) but another option is to treat it with antifungals and see if it improves. The vets will have something like Malaseb shampoo to use but when my chinchillas had it I alternated between the Malaseb, athlete's foot powder (as athlete's food is a fungal infection) and diluted tea tree oil (natural antifungal, but do be careful as it's toxic to some animals)
Be careful as it can spread to other pets (any species) and humans too - I caught it off my chinchillas and it was very itchy!
Originally Posted by Shani View Post
Ringworm is a fungus infection, It starts with a small red area & expands, like ripples in a pond. After a while healthy tisue regrows in the middle giving the 'ring' effect.
It is caught from contact with the infection. Such as, maybe an earlier dog at the groomers had to be muzzled & had it, the infection would stick to the inside of the muzzle & come off on the next dogs to use it.
This is the best way I can describe it, so I appologise if it's not exact.

Posted same time as Kylyr.
Thankyou both - I was doing a google & then realised ringworm not actually a worm (duh to me!)
It does look similar to some pics googled of it though . She couldn't have caught it from the muzzle though as I use my own.
I will nip into the vets in the morning with pics & see what he says - as I said she can't be examined without the muzzle so there's no way he could see it properly on her & I really don't want to have her sedated
I hope it's not that as it may mean we can't go on the Dogsey walk coming up if she's contageus
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Update - We went to the vets this evening (with picture & muzzle on!) we took the muzzle off & hub made her look at him, whilst I shone the light thing & the vet had a look, she said she couldn't see anything so that was good. We did notice there is a little bump inside the muzzle on the exact spot of the sore, but she hasn't worn the muzzle since last at the groomers & the bald patch has grown, but it's possible rubbing could have initially caused a graze which then got infected.
So there were a few options, we could give her antibiotic cream as it could be infected as looks a bit pink today - or antibiotic cream with steroid but if it was ringworm or even mange that would make it worse! Or they could take a scraping for which she would have to be sedated.
We opted for just the antibiotic cream without steroid & "see how it goes" for the moment.
I've also since thought it could be an infected follicle as it's close to where her whiskers are... not sure if this can happen, it was just a thought when I got home!
GeorgiesMum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2010, 01:54 PM
The picture looks like a hotspot. Georgie had a similar one after the groomer has been. The groomer swears it wasn't them and we don't muzzle Georgie at all. We think it may have been a too close shave. We used potato extract cream and the hotspot disappeared in a couple of days.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >