Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Cadi View Post
I haven't read much about this but does anyone know if they have set up a future plan for framework for universities? Like what they have in mind for ten years time or is this it?
Nothing that I have seen specifically (I work in uni administration). Think they are using the suck-it-and-see approach - i.e. see how next year goes, and then develop something.

We've got a visit day running today - over 8000 students and families, looking at this uni for next year. Having £9k fees doesn't seem to have put people off - maybe they will just be more discerning?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
We've got a visit day running today - over 8000 students and families,
Wow, that must take a bit of 'organising' but you must be pleased with those numbers. I would hazard a guess that you might be in the situation of 'picking and choosing' too
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Wow, that must take a bit of 'organising' but you must be pleased with those numbers. I would hazard a guess that you might be in the situation of 'picking and choosing' too
We are now a top 10 UK university, and had no places left for Clearing this year. We were able to be very picky with our new undergraduates this year
Cadi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Congratulations! Oh man, you must be so incredibly proud!

And you're right, those numbers show that the desire is still strong - but with the way this was planned out the kids really have nothing to lose. A degree /is/ necessary these days, and if their bill is wiped out in 30 years' time I can see why they might feel it as an incentive to get their diploma. Besides, don't certain jobs pay more depending on what degree/letters you have to your name?

Hell now its MAs and PhDs that are becoming a commonplace necessity when before a simple bachelors would have sufficed...
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Cadi View Post
Congratulations! Oh man, you must be so incredibly proud!
It's pretty impressive really... I've been here 5 years now, and we weren't top 10 when I started. They invested massively in buildings/facilities (inc a new £20m sports centre) and cos we're more of a research uni, we haven't been hit as hard as some with the funding cuts. We're currently in a pretty stable financial situation, and overall, it's a pretty good place to work!
2Greys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-08-2011, 03:16 PM
I can understand why students feel a bit gutted when it has risen to 9k fairly quickly, it was £1200 in 2005/6 when i first went and the 3k cap came in not so long after. In some fields your never going to earn a huge salary either, perhaps in time these will revert back to more college/vocational training.

I did accountancy at college then got further professional qualifications while working paid for by my employer once i eventually got a job in that field. My friend was a graduate at same company as me (not on the graduate scheme) even though we were studying at the same level, did a similar level job and i had few years more work experience she was paid more. I think its become necessary to have a degree just to get your foot in the door for many jobs these days.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by 2Greys View Post
I can understand why students feel a bit gutted when it has risen to 9k fairly quickly, it was £1200 in 2005/6 when i first went and the 3k cap came in not so long after. In some fields your never going to earn a huge salary either, perhaps in time these will revert back to more college/vocational training.
These loans for fees (like my student loan now) is only payable when you reach a certain salary (£15k) and then it is payable as a proportion of your salary, through your wages. I'm now earning over £20k, and pay about £60 a month back on my loans. The money is taken with my tax and NI contribution, so I barely notice it going out.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Isochick.....my daughter is coming to your uni for a weekend in a couple of weeks as a sixth form weekend.It will be interesting to see her reaction as it will be the first uni she has seen......
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Isochick.....my daughter is coming to your uni for a weekend in a couple of weeks as a sixth form weekend.It will be interesting to see her reaction as it will be the first uni she has seen......
Ooh cool! I prefer campus based to town based (but maybe I'm biased!). I'd really like to know what she thinks!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Ooh cool! I prefer campus based to town based (but maybe I'm biased!). I'd really like to know what she thinks!
Will let you know......she is a bit miffed at having to do some sport....with her ME she has not done any for 18 months! The school is insisting she use the facilities though!
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >