Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2007, 05:54 PM

dog insurance for dummies!!

We recently got our first ever dog and with her our free insurance. It runs out next Wednesday but when petplan sent through the renewal it seemed very expensive to me.
So, I am looking online to see what else is available, but I'm really finding it confusing ... I'm really not good at all with this sort of thing, but I know it's something I need.

Ok, so I know I need Lifetime cover and I know I really don't want a massive excess, and that it's good to not get anything that limits you to one upper limit for everything (from reading through the insurance posts on this board) .. but honestly, I don't seem able to find anything that seems to fit the bill.

Any chance anyone can recommend good cover that I can then go check out for my staffy girlie please?

(From a dog insurance dummy!! )
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 06:03 PM
PetPlan are expensive but IMO they are the best - you get what you pay for All of ours are insured with them and have never had a problem.

We did have two of ours insured at one point with M&S but they hiked up the renewal premium by almost double and we hadn't even claimed So we put them all onto PetPlan.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Have a look at this one, I've had no personal experiance of them, but a friend says she had no problems.

http://www.animalfriends.org.uk/pet_insurance.html
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

04-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Hi Jenson There are quite a few threads on insurance companies listed on here . Go into forums and look for pet insurance Quotes. Hope this helps.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Its definately worth trying to get a quote from M&S. Males seemed to be hit worse with the price increase so you might be lucky.
Jenson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks to all for the help. Much appreciated.

M&S are quoting £123.83 for the year. I think it's lifetime cover with a £50 excess and it covers up to £7000 per year, which I assume is not per condition.

Animal friends are quoting £21.65 (£259.81 per year). Which is £4,000 per condition per year. £49 excess or
£24.66 (£295.88 per year) which is £5000 per condition per year. still £49 excess.

Petplan budget is £22.21 per month, £80 excess on vet fee's. Up to £4000 per year. or supreme plan is £31.01 per month for unlimited cover, still with the £80 excess.

Tesco was £10.37 per month, £60 excess and £4000 per condition, but I am not sure if that was a lifetime cover or not.

E&L was £138.00 per year, £4,500 maximum, cant see any excess so don't know what that is ...but it looks like you get £500 more per year if you pay monthly... dunno why?

More than seemed to be just a year policy rather than lifetime cover, as was argos I think. So I haven't considered them.

That's what I've found so far ....

*ponders over them*
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-08-2007, 07:58 PM
I think M&S is a great policy if you can get a good premium. It is £7000 a year which gets renewed each time you renew your policy.

MoreThan is I think £6000 per condition and is not limited to a year just as long as it takes to reach the £6000. I have Star insured with More Than.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

04-08-2007, 08:53 PM
I switched to More Than from M & S when they doubled my premium. I pay £10.39 per month for Pellow and £11.19 per month for Rye this for £7,000 and as Carole says is not limited to a year and I think my excess is £70.
Jenson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2007, 09:15 AM
I looked at the More Than policy and it was by far the best quote at first, being £11.04 per month (£132.48 per year). £70 excess and £7,000 per illness or injury for the life of the policy.
I wasn't actually sure exactly what it meant so I phoned them and it means if I insure with them for 10 years consistantly I get that £7,000 as above, but it doesn't get topped up each year. So if for example Puddles got an injury or illness that used that £7,000 in say two years, then that would be it, all I could claim for ... so I would then be stuck.

So although it looked the best option and I thought I was going to be buying it today, I'm not sure now that I will.

It's all a bit of a minefield for the insurance dummy here.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Jenson View Post
I looked at the More Than policy and it was by far the best quote at first, being £11.04 per month (£132.48 per year). £70 excess and £7,000 per illness or injury for the life of the policy.
I wasn't actually sure exactly what it meant so I phoned them and it means if I insure with them for 10 years consistantly I get that £7,000 as above, but it doesn't get topped up each year. So if for example Puddles got an injury or illness that used that £7,000 in say two years, then that would be it, all I could claim for ... so I would then be stuck.

So although it looked the best option and I thought I was going to be buying it today, I'm not sure now that I will.

It's all a bit of a minefield for the insurance dummy here.
I feel the same way about the type you mention here...I would actually prefer one that stars over again each year as I would be worried at the set amount running out on me.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >