Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-02-2013, 02:51 PM

Me on a horse - Good for a laugh!

Just found some old photos and somehow managed to scan them into the PC all taken in Cyprus around 1957.

Top left - me riding Saleem
Top right - Pony Club camp in the Troodos montains
Bottom left - Jumping with Askim my favorite horse
Bottom right - Riding Askim on Easter Monday 1957

In those days the Army still had a few people with many years experience of horses and they ran the stables for the benefit of military families, one such riding school was just outside Nicosia where me and my brother would be found almost every day in school holidays.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Wonderful! Would you mind if I pinched these to show to a Cypriot friend of mine living in the UK who has an impressive photographic history of Cyprus?

They are especially interesting because there aren't that many 'horsey' places here (outside of the Sovereign Base Areas). I know of only a couple of 'riding stables' mainly aimed at tourists over on the Paphos (West) side of the island.

You never see horses on the roads or even in the fields when driving around. In fact although the Cyprus donkey is supposed to be a sort of national figure - you hardly ever see any of those either.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 05:20 PM
And, if you are interested, I can send you a link to maybe see lots of his photos. He has one I love - it is of his donkey sitting on him! He was trying to push it from behind to go up the mountains when it decided to sit down! In fact here it is - he is the one you cannot see - the donkey is sat on him!

Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Thanks for sharing.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Oh my goodness Harvey, you're a bit of a dark horse aren't you, I never knew you could ride like that!!! Blimey, that's a 5ft spread on the bottom left there isn't it? You were a lot braver kid than I was!

What wonderful pics you found there, I enjoyed looking at those

I only have one pic left of me jumping mine, but it's only a little 2ft 9" fence, but it is in colour lol!!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Well .... come on then Helena ... let's have a look at it!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Don't look at the tiny jump lol!!! This was the photographer's jump to take his pics, but I did the 2ft9" course on this cross-country and I think I got buried about half way round as usual!!!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Its Show and Tell Our Horses is it

Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Yes show and tell time. Helena that is an impressive pic. Ditto Tawney.

Unfortunately I don't have any photographic records of my interaction with gee gees. I was bitten by one when I was about 12. Almost thrown by one on holiday in Spain when I was 20 something. And trodden on one (a shire horse) when I was about thirty twelve!

My daughter rides. I used to drive her to the stables and spectate. I do stuff I am quite good at or at least that isn't likely to kill me!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Thanks Pat How I'm still alive after owning him for 21 years I will never know!!! He had a huuuge character, nobody else would ever ride him, but I kind of liked his spirit and sense of fun.

June, is that your Isis that you bred yourself there?? Lovely looking horse, what breeding is she then? Mine was 7/8 Irish Draft TB, I wish he had of been a lot more of the ID though instead of the Tb!!

I hope Sally comes along with breathtaking pics of her hanging on for dear life somewhere!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »