Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
But you also need to remember other things can cause weight loss, i wouldn't rule other stuff out just yet.
Thanks Marie - hopes are up again....

Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
I am thinking of you Vicki at this worrying time, you know that xxxx
Yes honey, I know, and thank you x

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
... but then Georgie's temperature rose to 42 deg. when his liver got enlarged? Normal temperature should be good quite honestly Vicki, that speaks volumes to them I think? I had an old girl who suddenly started losing weight, we couldn't pinpoint why exactly, and she had episodes of the squits now and again, but she went on to 16 even though we could never put the weight back on her. I do hope that vet comes up with some good news for you when he sees you tomorrow, and gives her a really good checking over.

I don't think they can actually feel an enlarged liver coz of where it sits right under the stomach? When it enlarges, it just pushes into the stomach. Otherwise, if they could, they would have known about Georgie's that very night I took him in, and even after the blood test results she still said she couldn't tell me what was going on with the liver until they actually scanned it, even if it was enlarged. Will be thinking of you tomorrow morning Vicki, and will have everything crossed for you that it's all good.
Let's hope it's the case for Roxy then - I think I can just about put up with her for a few more years yet

On a positive note, when I came home at lunchtime, she gave me a woo-woo - bless, I almost burst into tears....
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Morris put on weight Vicki...and quite a lot of it, so don't focus too much on that.
Big hugs.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Awwww Vicki, how lovely of her, I don't get woo-woo's any more Georgie doesn't know how to do them Maybe I could teach him????!!! I really miss those

Don't worry tonight, wait and see what he says tomorrow, she'll be ok don't worry.xxxxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 09:07 PM
<o used to woo woo too. I love woo woos!!!! PLease give her a big hug form us. x
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Isn't it kidneys where they lose?
The liver is an extremely important organ in the body. It is responsible for protein, fat, and carbohydrate metabolism; vitamin and mineral storage; digestion of food and detoxification of wastes.

However, for all of its simplicity of appearance, the liver is a very complicated and hard-working organ. It is known to perform well over 1,000 different tasks, most of which are necessary to life and could not be done elsewhere in the body. The production of the essential protein 'albumin,' the storage of fat soluble vitamins such as A, D, E, and K, the manufacture of some digestive enzymes, the detoxification of wastes and poisons, the production of blood clotting factors, and the storage of energy are just some of these hepatic functions. Yet, unless there is a total (or near complete) failure to function, it is usually very difficult for numerous liver function tests to show that it is diseased, damaged, or even affected. This is because every major section or lobe of the liver performs exactly the same tasks. Additionally, the liver has tremendous reserve capacities and can greatly increase its output and efficiency. It can shift into overdrive on a moment’s notice. Therefore, if one to four lobes are loaded with cancer, contain a bacterial or viral infection, or are severely traumatized, the remaining sections just work overtime to fulfill the body’s needs. In canine medicine, we believe that many liver conditions go on for a long time before any clinical signs are observed by the animal’s owner or veterinarian. In fact, it frequently happens that by the time we are able to make a diagnosis through lab tests, biopsy, or clinical signs, the condition has already passed and the animal is actually improving.

The liver has an amazing ability to snap back from injury and it can regenerate lost tissue to heal injured portions.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 09:12 PM
am really thinking of you both please keep your chin up i am sure you will get a good report when you see you vet in the morning as he nows your dog best. will be thinking off you both big hugs fromme and my guys. xx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Vicki, try not to worry until you have to, thruth is you could be wasting precious time with roxy, make the most of her right now any horrible results will come if they are going too, then we can all worry together!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Something else I just remembered Vicki. Before Georgie's diagnosis that night, I had taken him to my previous vets on 4 different occasions for a front leg lameness. Each time being fobbed off with stupid diagnosis, one of which being shampoo for his foot!!!! Remember? Anyway, after thorough research after him being diagnosed with an enlarged liver, it turns out that one of the symptoms of an enlarged liver is FORE LEG LAMENESS!!! I will never understand how 4 different vets never hit on that one!!!

Anyway, just wanted you to know that's another symptom, so if Roxy hasn't got that, then signs are they're looking in the wrong direction hopefully. Even if there is a problem with the liver, they've got special liver pills which will sort it all out, just like Georgie had.xxxxx
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4