View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-01-2008, 08:11 PM
I always through they could tell by hands on, esp if it was an organ the enlarged, they say a cat has kidney problems by feeling the size, they could tell us tobs bladder was extended by physical examination.
So i would think they should be able for the liver as well, the only other thing it has been playing up a while and just got to the point where it can be felt.
But i think the bloods only show function, as a pointer, it will be a scan to show the real condition etc.
Good luck, but i think your wise to see your regular vet, it never hurts with an old dog to get all the info anyway.
Fingers crossed for roxy and you.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks all.

Just realised that I never answered Ailsa's question about the tummy bug.

Mya is the one who's also unwell with nasty squits, in fact it was her the vet appointment was originally made for, and it was only when we caught Roxy throwing up (we orginally thought it was Mya) that we ended up taking them both. Poor Mya has Colitis and is on three different types of medication. However, although she had a very high temperature and was crapping everywhere, she was as bright as a button, chasing Lennon, playing etc. I wasn't particularly worried, just that it had gone on for almost a week, so I thought I'd better get her seen. She's loads better already just 24 hours later

Lennon - I'm delighted to say - is totally fine
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Wonder if roxy has the same, but it has hit her harder with her age,maybe it has had a affect on her liver?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Could Roxy also have the bug?

Mo caught a bug, as did Biffters about 3 weeks before he got really porly, a tummy bug as well. Biff recovered (as did the pup) quickly and with no intervention...Mo really suffered though and needed ABs. I think his liver had problems fighting off the bug perhaps?

Big hugs Vicki, these old ones are such a owrry...but are so special.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Wonder if roxy has the same, but it has hit her harder with her age,maybe it has had a affect on her liver?
I did think of that Marie, but Roxy's temperature is normal..... however, I shall be asking lots of questions when I see Dean (regular vet) tomorrow morning
x0x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Write them down...I always end up forgetting one!!!!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Could Roxy also have the bug?

Mo caught a bug, as did Biffters about 3 weeks before he got really porly, a tummy bug as well. Biff recovered (as did the pup) quickly and with no intervention...Mo really suffered though and needed ABs. I think his liver had problems fighting off the bug perhaps?

Big hugs Vicki, these old ones are such a owrry...but are so special.
As in my reply to Leo, Roxy's temperature was normal. If it had been raised, it would have indicated infection of some sort. I don't know anymore - I get hopeful that it's something fixable, then I remember things like normal temperature and unexplained weight loss, and my hopes sink.....
x0x
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-01-2008, 08:39 PM
But you also need to remember other things can cause weight loss, i wouldn't rule other stuff out just yet.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 08:41 PM
I am thinking of you Vicki at this worrying time, you know that xxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
As in my reply to Leo, Roxy's temperature was normal. If it had been raised, it would have indicated infection of some sort. I don't know anymore - I get hopeful that it's something fixable, then I remember things like normal temperature and unexplained weight loss, and my hopes sink.....
x0x
... but then Georgie's temperature rose to 42 deg. when his liver got enlarged? Normal temperature should be good quite honestly Vicki, that speaks volumes to them I think? I had an old girl who suddenly started losing weight, we couldn't pinpoint why exactly, and she had episodes of the squits now and again, but she went on to 16 even though we could never put the weight back on her. I do hope that vet comes up with some good news for you when he sees you tomorrow, and gives her a really good checking over.

I don't think they can actually feel an enlarged liver coz of where it sits right under the stomach? When it enlarges, it just pushes into the stomach. Otherwise, if they could, they would have known about Georgie's that very night I took him in, and even after the blood test results she still said she couldn't tell me what was going on with the liver until they actually scanned it, even if it was enlarged. Will be thinking of you tomorrow morning Vicki, and will have everything crossed for you that it's all good.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >