View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 01:29 PM
When Mo had his funny liver enzyme results last year, the vet said then that the only way they could know for sure what was going on was by doing a scan, which we opted not to do as we knew the result wouldn't be good and we wouldn't treat it anyway. When he was in for his x ray, when we lost him, they ran thorough bloods pre giving him a GA. Those results said he was in 'medium' liver failure. The bloods can't tell you what wrong and why, but they can give a really clear indication of how the liver is functioning...so it is worth it as a first step. Those results can then help you decide what to do next.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Undoubtedly, as Ailsa says, you must have a blood test done to see what's going on if anything? HOpefully nothing though. Do they do in-house blood tests at your vets? We waited for our results at the time, only a matter of minutes for them to print them out, if they do them in-house at your vets. All the best for her Vicki.xxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 02:57 PM
......but wouldn't something have shown on the blood test she had done recently? That's what I can't understand.....

BTW, the vet did say that if the bloods were inconclusive, then a scan/x-ray would be the next step.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 03:20 PM
No, not necessarily.
The liver is a pretty complex organ and if she is now fighting a bug that could show up on bloods tomorrow.

Mo had 'funny' bloods that they were concerned about that could indicate cancer. They weren't really high, but enough to cause conern.
When he was retested 3 months later they had come down...a month and a half later he was in moderate liver damage and that showed on bloods. I think (but I am no expert) the results can fluctuate.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Wait till you see your own vet/blood test. Then you will know what your doing I'm sure. Good luck and love to Roxy
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
......but wouldn't something have shown on the blood test she had done recently? That's what I can't understand.....

BTW, the vet did say that if the bloods were inconclusive, then a scan/x-ray would be the next step.
I think it is something that can "just happen" Vicki, afterall, it did with George, and quite suddenly for me to notice he wasn't right? Well, bad enough for me to know to rush him to the vets anyway, when Dave said he was ok!!!! Make a list of questions you want to know ready for tomorrow hey, and good luck with her, I hope it's just the winter getting her down maybe like it is all of us if she seems off colour. I just re-read your post, and you actually say that she DOES have an enlarged liver (which I've obviously missed all the threads on )but maybe that was a while ago, it came right, and now you're worried it's enlarged again then? My vet told me this does happen when they've had it once, but what would trigger that I really don't have a clue? All the best for tomorrow anyway, let's hope you come back with some good news.xxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi Aitch - it was the "other" vet that said her liver was enlarged last night. I'll get a second opinion when I see Roxy's own vet tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for your input - I really appreciate it (and so does "The Duchess" )
x0x
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Agree with Ramble.... but sending ((((((BIG HUGS))))) to you and Roxy Hope you get it sorted asap!!
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm with Ramble, I'd definately see your usual vet and take that opinion on board if he is someone you really trust, I really hope it is something small Thinking of you and your gorgeous girlie xxxxx
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Thinking of you at this time xx (((hugs)))
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >