Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 06:48 PM

Callander Companion Dog Show & Good Citizen Test

Myself, a few friends and our dogs went to the Callander Companion Dog Show today as part of the Callander World Highland Games.

We had a really good day out and the weather held.

Molly got 6th in AV Sporting and a Special in Leave the Biscuit for 40 Seconds. We also passed our Bronze Good Citizen Award aswell.

Roxy got 4th in Best Rescue and a Special in Leave the Biscuit for 40 Seconds. Again, we passed our Bronze Good Citizen Award.

Friends of mine came 1st with their Miniature Schnauzer in Best Veteran. Which we are all delighted about.

I did, however, feel that the judge was definately pedigree biased. In the Waggiest Tail class, there was a wee mongrel wagging her tail for Scotland, she didn't get placed. I think most of the pedigrees in that class got placed, even a dog whose tail was just blowing in the wind (long haired)! In one of the classes, she didn't even look at some of the crossbreeds which I think is a real shame (I wasn't in that class with either of my dogs).

There was also a man who changed his clothes for the show, he even changed his glasses! He was also tonging his dogs' hair and combing it all day. I think someone should have told him that it was a Companion show he was at and not a qualifier for Crufts!

Nevertheless, we all had a good day out and the weather stayed fair for us.

I didn't take any photos. I may take a few with their Good Citizen Awards though.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
There was also a man who changed his clothes for the show, he even changed his glasses! He was also tonging his dogs' hair and combing it all day. I think someone should have told him that it was a Companion show he was at and not a qualifier for Crufts!
It's nice to think that people still want to make the effort with presentation at Companion shows. Good on him.

Glad you had a successful day.

Dawn R.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
It's nice to think that people still want to make the effort with presentation at Companion shows. Good on him.

Glad you had a successful day.

Dawn R.
Thanks.

It think he took it a bit too far, and was rather pretentious.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
It think he took it a bit too far, and was rather pretentious.
Do you?

What was he pretending to do?

Dawn R.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 09:00 PM
awe thats nice,, holly got a 4th place in prettyest bitch,,, judge is blind, lol and she did her good cit too,, not with me though,,, she did it with a wee girl she had only met 10 mins before,,,well chuffed with her she behaved well for Keigley {whos sis comes to my training club} they flew it,,, me finks holly likes the little people,, not sure how old Keighley is think 10 or 11 ish, what a kid eh,
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Well done with your wins and good citizen tests.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 09:04 PM
to be fair to the man with the tongs,, god wish I had known he was there I had a cap on the state of my hair,,, would have been there in a flash had I known there was a stylist there,,, and im not kiddin,, wont be the first time wouldnt be the last,,#
any way to be fair,,many use this as a training ground for dogs,
dogs know the routine for the ring, so if you dont go through the whole routine then they know,,,, if your gona use it to train a dog then do it right, I have no issue with that, Its clearly a training day to him, he must go through that at a show, so he does it in training,,, consistancy is everything ,,, hey I even ran a cloth over holly and kaos,,, no honest I did
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
Do you?

What was he pretending to do?

Dawn R.
It was all over-exaggerrated on his part, imo, come on...curling your dogs hair and a Companion show? I also thought he was a bit pompous in the way he was prancing about!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
awe thats nice,, holly got a 4th place in prettyest bitch,,, judge is blind, lol and she did her good cit too,, not with me though,,, she did it with a wee girl she had only met 10 mins before,,,well chuffed with her she behaved well for Keigley {whos sis comes to my training club} they flew it,,, me finks holly likes the little people,, not sure how old Keighley is think 10 or 11 ish, what a kid eh,
I didn't see you there, Shona! I wish you had come and said hello, if you'd seen me, that is. Were you avoiding me??

Glad your Holly got something, all the dogs were lovely though. There was a 17 year old Border Terrier there, did you see him? He was a wee sweetie and very well behaved too. He looked fabulous for 17. The wee soul.

My Roxy loves kids aswell.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
to be fair to the man with the tongs,, god wish I had known he was there I had a cap on the state of my hair,,, would have been there in a flash had I known there was a stylist there,,, and im not kiddin,, wont be the first time wouldnt be the last,,#
any way to be fair,,many use this as a training ground for dogs,
dogs know the routine for the ring, so if you dont go through the whole routine then they know,,,, if your gona use it to train a dog then do it right, I have no issue with that, Its clearly a training day to him, he must go through that at a show, so he does it in training,,, consistancy is everything ,,, hey I even ran a cloth over holly and kaos,,, no honest I did

Brusing your dog before it goes into the ring, fine, cleaning the dog if it has got dirty, fine....but using curling tongs on the dogs ponytail on it's head?! Hmmm, no need for that, I don't think! The poor dogs were being fussed over all day and constantly being combed, they actually lay there as if they looked fed up, poor things.

Mind you, I wonder if he had any GHD's to go with his curling tongs.

My crossbeed and Westie decided to have a playfight in the middle of the Good Citizens ring at one point!

There was also a lady who would not let her dog sniff the ground. She kept telling it to get it's nose of ground and because it wouldn't she picked it up, and this was outside the ring at the end of the day! What's that all about?? I wish she had given the dog a bit of freedom!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »