Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-12-2006, 03:30 PM

Turkey bits and pieces

I am planning to put my turkey on to cook over night tonight. Please could I have some advice on what I am able to feed Georgie from the turkey.

Can I give him the neck thats inside the turkey?
If so, raw or cooked?

Can I give him the giblets from the turkey?
If so raw or cooked?

The lil wings? Can he have these?
Raw or cooked?

Don't mean to sound silly but I wouldn't want to give him anything he shouldnt have. I didn't have Georgie last christmas so haven't had this problem before. My CKCS wont eat raw meat, and also has a very sensitive tum so she doesnt get any turkey at christmas time
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-12-2006, 03:52 PM
My two would get whatever is going spare. I'd give it raw but cooked is ok too. If given raw the bones will be no probs. But if cooked you shouldn't give any bones
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Blimey, I didn't know you could give raw turkey to dogs, not that I would, they don't like raw meat, but I just didn't realise.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Mine always get a few slices and seem fine with it. But Skye has just figured she can jump up at the sides so i will have to watch here as she will probably want it all
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2006, 05:04 PM
My dogs get the raw neck, wings, (all the bits in the bag) today, then whats left over tomorrow, cooked, will get shared out over the next day or so.

We don't have a very big turkey as none of us are very keen on it.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Thanks so much for the reassurance guys.
I will give Georgie the neck then - raw- and see how he gets on. Ive not given him raw meat before so I'm not sure what the reasult will be
My CKCS has a very sensitive tum so she wont be getting any of the neck or giblets etc, but I will give her a small slice of cooked turkey tomorrow.
Merry christmas guys and have a good one Many thanks for the advice.
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Oscar won't eat raw meat, so I cooked all the giblets for him and he thoroughly enjoyed it (didn't get it all at one sitting though).
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Awww bless, Georgie sat and ate loads of turkey, and it didnt give him the runs-which I am pleased about.
On xmas evening, he sat in the kitchen staring at the turkey for about 3 hrs, smelling the air and everything. Everytime I went in the kitchenhe jumped up as if to say " Oh yes, I'm getting more" much to his disappointment he didnt. I'm very suprised he didnt jump up to nick some
flow-wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Mine got all the remains from my mums Xmas dinner,she sent me home with a big tray packed with food what she left for our Flow - new potatoes,swede & carrots,gravy,mash,all the bits from the turkey and 2 big goose legs!

Yesterday on New Years Day she was treated to raw rabbit,ate the lot.

Now she knows grandad has pheasants in his shed,I think she's waiting for those lol