Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
The Real Wooff
New Member!
Female 

06-03-2006, 03:03 PM

Bichon puppy barking all night long!

I have be recommended this Forum by my sister and she says its very helpful. I've just bought a Bichon puppy, he's 9 weeks old and called Harvey, my sister has already posted photos on my behalf. I'm having big problems with him on a night, he barks consistently, only really sleeping for 30-40 min intervals. I have him in a pen with a section for his bed and separate section for puppy pad. When I get up on a morning there is just poo and wee everywhere as he's trampled it because of being left on his own.Could anyone offer any advice about what I could do to stop him. I've had him for 5 nights and he is no better now than on the first night and I'm getting close to the edge! I've just left him for the first time for an hour and the same thing happened. I take him out in the garden and apart from a couple of accidents he does everything outside. I don't really have the option of taking him in my bedroom as my husband would not be happy! Would I be better getting up when he barks to take him out? Anyway look forward to any words of wisdom - Thanks.
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Are you with Harvey all the time during the day?

Maybe try leaving the radio on low at nights and/or a light on as it might make him feel less alone.

I wouldn't start going down to him every time he barks as this is rewarding him for barking and he'll learn that when he barks you will come to him - making things worse.
The Real Wooff
New Member!
Female 

06-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Yes with Harvey all time during day but try to put him in his pen and go upstairs so he gets used to being left alone. He is OK for about 30 mins then starts barking. I do leave light on so he can see where to 'go to toilet' but could try the radio.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by The Real Wooff
I have be recommended this Forum by my sister and she says its very helpful. I've just bought a Bichon puppy, he's 9 weeks old and called Harvey, my sister has already posted photos on my behalf. I'm having big problems with him on a night, he barks consistently, only really sleeping for 30-40 min intervals. I have him in a pen with a section for his bed and separate section for puppy pad. When I get up on a morning there is just poo and wee everywhere as he's trampled it because of being left on his own.Could anyone offer any advice about what I could do to stop him. I've had him for 5 nights and he is no better now than on the first night and I'm getting close to the edge! I've just left him for the first time for an hour and the same thing happened. I take him out in the garden and apart from a couple of accidents he does everything outside. I don't really have the option of taking him in my bedroom as my husband would not be happy! Would I be better getting up when he barks to take him out? Anyway look forward to any words of wisdom - Thanks.
Well I'm with Rip here - drink more alcohol

When we got our Bichon my daughter had him in a crate in her bedroom so we didn't really have that problem. He was quite good and slept in the crate all night and she got up early to take him out or I would take him out. The one problem with Bichons is they hate to be alone. I did eventually get ours to sleep in the kitchen at nights until he was about 12 months old and then he started rattling at the dog gate and crying all night so in the end we gave in and let him sleep in my 14 year old daughters bedroom and he is fine now. He really hates being left though and when I leave him for 30 mins in the morning he usually wees in the kitchen whilst I am out just out of anxiety. My sister has a Bichon who sleeps in the kitchen but he has the company of other dogs so he is fine.

I don't know what to suggest maybe Shadowboxer or Mini could give you some advice on what to do.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Hi there your puppy is still very young and has been parted from his dam and litter mates for the first time, the barking is his way of calling to them ..

There are various ways to housetrain,the best method is the one that works for you .. this is the one I always use because I find it successful, I get some sleep and gives me a dog who will be clean for the rest of its life .

Added you may find this post helpful too, but you can't really put it into action properly while housetraining
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 07:13 PM
bichons do not like being alone im afraid and it may take some time to break the barking habit
you could try crating the little fella and bringing the crate to your bedroom but if you dont want him sleeping upstairs its probably best to just stick with it,, he will eventually stop
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Hi!
As mini said he's just left his family and is feeling weird!
Have you tried putting a cover over his crate?
We've founf that this often works at night and then in the day too as it seems to calm them right down! One pup we had howled until my OH threw his bed (which was a double duvet cover!) over the crate in the middle of the night then instantly stopped!
What do you do in the day when he starts to bark and you've left him?
An idea may be to go down just before you KNOW he's going to start and so not give him the chance...leave him for 10 mins, go back and build it up from there.
Good luck, I know how hard it can be with a sleepless pup!!!!
Hope you have a better night tonight!
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Try to leave him alone during the day for a small period off time. If he is calm go to him and praise him.

At night:

Don't give in
Put the lights out
Put the radio on
Put some clothing off you with the pup (preferably something worn a few days without being washed)

Greetings

Johan
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2006, 10:21 AM
How was Harvey last night?
posh paws 77
New Member!
Female 

07-03-2006, 02:09 PM
hi, i too have just bought a bichon puppy, i picked her up on friday she was 7 weeks old yesterday, she has been fine, i use training pads in her crate she goes in there for her toileting we have only had one accident since she got here shes doing very well. i will take her out to toilet when shes had her vaccs, she sleeps in her cage all night with only half an hour of crying each night we leave the light off and ignore the crying, she sleeps in her crate in the room overnight the kitchens too cold
di x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >