View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 05:34 PM

Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

I'm sure I've posted numerous times about Cassie's rather loud exits from the house when going for walkies coupled with grabbing the lead and woofing and spinning at cars.
This has been going on since she was quite young and we've done the lot, all the training, the gadgets, everything you can possibly think of or have heard of. It only ever gets better for a short time, then it reverts back.
We know in the grand scheme of things these are only minor issues compared to some but still need addressing. She's such a good girl with everything else.
Anyway, I went and bought a kids water pistol on Sunday and thought we may as well give it a try as a last resort to distract her from the behaviour.
Well folks, I'm absolutely thrilled to say that today, day 3 of the water pistol and there has been NO woofing, spinning, barking or riving the lead. OH sprayed her once on the bum this morning when she started and hasn't had to use it at all for the rest of the day. It literally took a handful of sprays day one and day 2 and just the one today. I can't believe he got out on this afternoon's walk with absolutely perfect behaviour. We have NEVER had this with any method at all.
I know it's early days but I'm just so proud of her for doing so well. Some people won't agree with the method but we honestly did everything and have done for some 4 1/2 years. I guess this is just a message to tell all of you having problems not to give up. You just have to find the right method for your dog! There will be one out there
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Well done you! A lot less harmful on the ears than the 'dropping stones in a tin can' method.

That would work with Tonto, who is a wussy, but Inca would think it was brilliant and a big game!

Anything harmless that creates a distraction is good....... must try that method on Charlie!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Monty would probably enjoy having water sprayed at his bum!! He loves it when the vet has to examine him up there or take his temperature!!

Congrats on achieving your desired result though, it's so rewarding when you finally get there especially when you feel like you've exhausted every possibility!!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Well done you! A lot less harmful on the ears than the 'dropping stones in a tin can' method.

That would work with Tonto, who is a wussy, but Inca would think it was brilliant and a big game!

Anything harmless that creates a distraction is good....... must try that method on Charlie!
Thanks Becky. Exactly what we thought. Her behaviour is out of excitement so the distraction method is working!xx

Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Monty would probably enjoy having water sprayed at his bum!! He loves it when the vet has to examine him up there or take his temperature!!

Congrats on achieving your desired result though, it's so rewarding when you finally get there especially when you feel like you've exhausted every possibility!!
OH says Monty is a perv LOL Thanks Esme. We honestly were starting to think we'd just have to live with it. If we had a big garden where we could chuck the ball for 15 minutes before taking her out, we could rid her of the initial excitement. It's mostly on the way out when she's hyperactive
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 09:14 PM
I think you're right. As long as the method is not cruel (to me, all this is is a way of snapping her out of the frenzy) then it's whatever works for your dog.

We used a plant de-mister on water in the garden to get him to stop eating the plants, now he always thinks twice before going to do it. It never hurt him, or scared him it just snapped him out of the ''must eat the garden'' craze.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Thanks Becky. Exactly what we thought. Her behaviour is out of excitement so the distraction method is working!xx

OH says Monty is a perv LOL Thanks Esme. We honestly were starting to think we'd just have to live with it. If we had a big garden where we could chuck the ball for 15 minutes before taking her out, we could rid her of the initial excitement. It's mostly on the way out when she's hyperactive
He is! He gets very exciting when she puts the rubber glove on and starts wagging his tail like crazy. Last time we went he even sniffed her hair whilst she was examining him - true love there!!

I personally think the water thing is much better than the "throw keys or something noisy on the floor" method.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 06:37 AM
LOL, I have to say i could use that one on the kids when they go into gawp mode at the t.v.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Ben would try to catch the water but he's not the brightest!! He loves chasing and trying to catch water - but hates the rain

Seriously though well done for finding a way to cure her initial excitement. It will make walks less stressful for you all.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I think you're right. As long as the method is not cruel (to me, all this is is a way of snapping her out of the frenzy) then it's whatever works for your dog.

We used a plant de-mister on water in the garden to get him to stop eating the plants, now he always thinks twice before going to do it. It never hurt him, or scared him it just snapped him out of the ''must eat the garden'' craze.
Thanks Em. Only 1 spray today and that was on the way home at the worst road crossing so still getting results, bless her!

Originally Posted by esmed View Post
He is! He gets very exciting when she puts the rubber glove on and starts wagging his tail like crazy. Last time we went he even sniffed her hair whilst she was examining him - true love there!!

I personally think the water thing is much better than the "throw keys or something noisy on the floor" method.
LOL, nutter dog you have! Can't believe this is working so well. I would never have believed it.

Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
LOL, I have to say i could use that one on the kids when they go into gawp mode at the t.v.
Exactly! Trust me, it works LOL

Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Ben would try to catch the water but he's not the brightest!! He loves chasing and trying to catch water - but hates the rain

Seriously though well done for finding a way to cure her initial excitement. It will make walks less stressful for you all.
Bless him! It has made the walks so much less stressful. I just can't believe what a difference it's made in a short space of time.
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2009, 06:22 PM
We used a plant sprayer on Lady when we first got our two as she always jumped upto the kitchen worktop or tried to jump on us when we sat down with a brew. It only took a few days of spraying her on her shoulders on the jet setting for her to stop. If she does go to jump now, we just have to show her the sprayer and she backs off!

Karen
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >