View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Poor Cassie with her bandages on, so sorry to hear you had a traumatic night Jackie. Here's hoping the tablets do the trick, she must be so confused.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Glad the news is a bit more positive Jackie.

I hope she continues to make good progress and hope she doesn't have any more fits,fingers crossed for the results.

Hugs and big staffie kisses for your girl xx
Thanks Sal, appreciate it
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Oh just look at her dear little face looking up at her dad there, wondering why on earth she hasn't been down the beach for her breakfast at the cafe this morning Everytime I come back in here, I've got tears welling up in my eyes Jackie, which I'm sure you have too with all this worry of your baby girl. When she has an upside down kip, then you will know she's back to her normal self, and I hope you will take the opportunity of catching up on last night's fiasco, it's sooooo draining mentally

Phenobarbitol (sp?) is the same drug this lady at work had to take, that's a surprise to me coz I would have thought it would have been a different drug for dogs. You learn something every day I suppose.

Please pass on a soft, gentle hug from her cyberaunt, and I've still got the healing vibes on constant for her complete recovery from all of this. Finger's and paws crossed for the new bloods next week then. You take care, hugs to both of you, but especially dear little Cassie. I do hope she sleeps upside down for you this afternoon, coz that will put your mind at rest hopefully, just a little bit more perhaps. Take care then.xxxxxxxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm so glad she's home, aw she looks so sweet in that picture. I'm sorry the diagnosis -so far is idiopathic epilepsy but it is treatable.

In case the vet didn't tell you, although I'm sure he did - Phenobarbital takes up to two weeks to reach threshold so the dog may still have fits in this period. There are side effects, most of which should diminish after the two week period. There is LOADS of stuff on PB the Guardian Angels website but essentially common side effects can be excess hunger and thirst, excess urination, wobbly legs/ataxia and sedation.

My dog didn't take to PB and we have him on potassium
bromide only. However, Snorri's dog is on PB and he has an article on Dogsey which might be of help:

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=14937

PB is metabolised via the liver and in high doses may cause liver damage in some dogs so many people use milk thistle to protect the liver. Don't panic though, it doesn't mean it will happen and if there are signs of liver damage, other treatments will be considered in conjunction with PB (such as KBr) in order to be able to reduce the dose.

It is important for the dog to have regular blood tests in order to check the levels of PB and to check liver function.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...nobarbital.htm
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/liver.html

I'm so sorry this has happened but even with epilepsy, Cassie can still have a wonderful life. Honestly, in between seizure episodes, Loki is perfectly normal - mad, active, full of life AND mischief.

Hugs to you both - go and give Cassie a cuddle from us and have a large glass of wine.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Poor Cassie with her bandages on, so sorry to hear you had a traumatic night Jackie. Here's hoping the tablets do the trick, she must be so confused.
Thanks Becky. Hope it's peaceful here tonight

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh just look at her dear little face looking up at her dad there, wondering why on earth she hasn't been down the beach for her breakfast at the cafe this morning Everytime I come back in here, I've got tears welling up in my eyes Jackie, which I'm sure you have too with all this worry of your baby girl. When she has an upside down kip, then you will know she's back to her normal self, and I hope you will take the opportunity of catching up on last night's fiasco, it's sooooo draining mentally

Phenobarbitol (sp?) is the same drug this lady at work had to take, that's a surprise to me coz I would have thought it would have been a different drug for dogs. You learn something every day I suppose.

Please pass on a soft, gentle hug from her cyberaunt, and I've still got the healing vibes on constant for her complete recovery from all of this. Finger's and paws crossed for the new bloods next week then. You take care, hugs to both of you, but especially dear little Cassie. I do hope she sleeps upside down for you this afternoon, coz that will put your mind at rest hopefully, just a little bit more perhaps. Take care then.xxxxxxxx
Thanks Auntie Aitch. She seems fine for the moment and is mithering John to take her out. We're only taking her out at tea time for a short walk though. I hope she sleeps upside down today too. Then we'll know she's feeling ok. Thanks again. xxxxx

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I'm so glad she's home, aw she looks so sweet in that picture. I'm sorry the diagnosis -so far is idiopathic epilepsy but it is treatable.

In case the vet didn't tell you, although I'm sure he did - Phenobarbital takes up to two weeks to reach threshold so the dog may still have fits in this period. There are side effects, most of which should diminish after the two week period. There is LOADS of stuff on PB the Guardian Angels website but essentially common side effects can be excess hunger and thirst, excess urination, wobbly legs/ataxia and sedation.

My dog didn't take to PB and we have him on potassium
bromide only. However, Snorri's dog is on PB and he has an article on Dogsey which might be of help:

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=14937

PB is metabolised via the liver and in high doses may cause liver damage in some dogs so many people use milk thistle to protect the liver. Don't panic though, it doesn't mean it will happen and if there are signs of liver damage, other treatments will be considered in conjunction with PB (such as KBr) in order to be able to reduce the dose.

It is important for the dog to have regular blood tests in order to check the levels of PB and to check liver function.

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...nobarbital.htm
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/liver.html

I'm so sorry this has happened but even with epilepsy, Cassie can still have a wonderful life. Honestly, in between seizure episodes, Loki is perfectly normal - mad, active, full of life AND mischief.

Hugs to you both - go and give Cassie a cuddle from us and have a large glass of wine.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx
Thanks again for all that information LS. Hope we get some peace tonight and that the bloods come back ok.xxxx
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Bless her, Spring was on pheno. as well and after the initial stabalising period didnt have another fit. Although as has been said regular tests need to be made to keep and eye on the liver and other organs. She looks mightily unimpressed! (((hugs))) to you all x
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Kicks View Post
Bless her, Spring was on pheno. as well and after the initial stabalising period didnt have another fit. Although as has been said regular tests need to be made to keep and eye on the liver and other organs. She looks mightily unimpressed! (((hugs))) to you all x
Thanks Hazel. She was unimpressed but she's had some vanilla Haagen Daaz since so I think we're forgiven. xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Hope the meds help and you have a peaceful night tonight with Cassie.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Jackie, so sorry I missed all this yesterday evening and today (Have not been able to log on much recently) but I'm so pleased to see that the vet has a pretty good take on the condition and let us hope the PB does the trick (and if it does take time to reach full effectivenes and I, of course, do hope that there's no repitition of the attacks)

You must be frazzled - the mental strain is huge - with our beloved dogs there is often so little we can do in such situations but I must say that was a reassuring photo you posted and like others I also am a firm believer that the 'upside down' sleeping is a sure sign the dog is happy, feeling safe, and not in any pain, so I'm really looking forward to see you post that asap.

And wish you all well (you, John, and Cassie)
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 03:27 PM
O My just catching this. Im glad she is ok and that you have a diagnosis. Fingers crossed things get better from here.
Page 11 of 22 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »