Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2006, 06:46 PM

Blood in Vomit!

Not very pleasant, but im a bit worried.

Riley was sick about an hour ago with a small amount of blood in it. I wanted to ring the vet but my mum said it wasn't enough to worry about as he'd probably just got a scratch in his mouth or throat and thats all it was. Just to keep an eye and take him to the vet tomorrow if he's still doing it. He just threw up again and there was another small amount of blood in it Does anyone know what it might be? I dont know whether to take him to the emergency vet tonight or wait until tomorrow.

He seems fine, he's been eating ok and is asleep on my bed again now, but obviously its not normal that he's throwing up blood! Anyone have any suggestions??
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Can you phone your vet and ask for advice? That would be the best thing...they may tell you to go in, or may tell you to wait.

Is there any reason you can think of he may be vomitting for?
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2006, 06:53 PM
They only have the nurses covering the phones i think - The vets are on call but i dont think i'd be able to phone them directly...

No idea why he's vomitting, he's been fine all day!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Would be more worried that he has vomited again than the fact there was blood, although there is a chance the the blood is the reason for the vomit. Ring the vet, not harm done if there is nothing wrong but you will be upset if there is and you did nothing.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica
They only have the nurses covering the phones i think - The vets are on call but i dont think i'd be able to phone them directly...
There is usually no problem if you need to speak to a vet.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Ok, shall ring them and ask to speak to the vet
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Poor Riley, sorry to read he is being sick

I guess he could have scratched his throat, but for peace of mind I would definately ring the vets, even if it is just the nurses who answer they can still give great advice out.

Hope he feels better soon
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

18-01-2006, 07:58 AM
How is he today J, did you speak to the vet?
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2006, 04:21 PM
He is absolutely fine today. He hasn't been sick at all since the second time last night. I did speak to the vet last night and was told to ring them and take him in if he's sick again but they didn't think it was anything serious. They said to take him in today if i was still worried even if he's not been sick but he has been doing fine so im just going to keep an eye on him! Looks like it was just a stratch or something - Me overreacting again
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Glad Riley is ok Jessica I think like us dogs have their off days too..

and they do eat some rubbish at times Somtimes if they are vomiting back something sharp or retching a lot you can get a little 'fresh' blood and it is scary... if there is a lot of blood and it happens more than once it is best to check it out with the vet..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >