View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2011, 06:40 AM
I have cats and at least two would stand their ground against a dog but they wouldn't attack without provocation having said there cat bites are nasty resulting in abscesses and can in some cases swell the glands due to bacteria infection, both in animals and humans, both requiring medical treatment.

I have my dogs vaccinated against rabies (personal choice) not because Im off abroad or we have rabies here but as I say a personal choice, and my vets is private they just order it in when the time comes x
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Juleze I am rather puzzled and confused. You say Max is only 14 weeks old but had an anti-rabies shot "some weeks ago".

Has he had his regular puppy shots? Only the first rabies shot can only be given four weeks after the full series of puppy shots, and then yearly either four weeks before or four weeks after normal booster shots.

And rabies shots should not be given to a puppy under six months of age.

It is vital that Max is fully protected against rabies as it is a most horrible disease. For his sake and for your sake and for the sake of your family and all other people and animals with whom he comes in contact.

I also live in a Country where rabies is endemic, so please believe me as I do know what I am talking about.
He's 15 weeks now, but at the time of the post, he was 14 weeks, and got the shot on the day he was 12 weeks/3 months (he was born on the 14th of March).
According to the timetable on the vet card (which must have been done meticulously by a vet doctor, as the vet have a branch in an elite location here in Lagos) , he's supposed to have his first anti-rabies shot at 2 months, maybe this could be because rabies is endemic in this part of the world.
He has also been taking his DHLPP shots (which, I hope, is the puppy shots you're referring to).
I'm aware of the dangers of rabies, hence, my following the guidelines. Thanks a lot, Malka.

Julia
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
Cats have a massive amount of bacteria in their mouths. A co worker of mine had her dog attack her cat once, when she tried to seperate them, the cat bit the hell outta her, within 4 hours she was in the ER on an IV drip... when I saw her the next day, she had ugly oozing wounds all around her upper forearms. they oozed puss for days after.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!
All this makes it much more difficult for me not to dislike cats even more
I hope your friend's better now.
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
Yes they can be very nasty. A friend of mine who is a cat person, got bitten on the head of all places, by a cat she was trying to rescue , it turned really nasty in the end she was on anti b's and having to go in and have it cleaned and dressed by a nurse every day for a couple of weeks. So really is worth getting it checked out.

Malka they give rabies shots over here at 3 months old, and at the same time (not together) as thier other shots.
I took him for a short walk in a 'not very familiar' place yesterday evening, and I saw a kitten, peering at us from under a car (there are lots of stray cats over here), I quickly moved towards the open road and after a while, my sister advised I pick him up since it was getting late. When I told my dad, he said we had better get a stick when going for a walk with him, to use it to scare away 'forward cats'. With what you've said, I'll have to take his advice more seriously.

His shots were 4 weeks and some days apart.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by juleze View Post
He's 15 weeks now, but at the time of the post, he was 14 weeks, and got the shot on the day he was 12 weeks/3 months (he was born on the 14th of March).
According to the timetable on the vet card (which must have been done meticulously by a vet doctor, as the vet have a branch in an elite location here in Lagos) , he's supposed to have his first anti-rabies shot at 2 months, maybe this could be because rabies is endemic in this part of the world.
He has also been taking his DHLPP shots (which, I hope, is the puppy shots you're referring to).
I'm aware of the dangers of rabies, hence, my following the guidelines. Thanks a lot, Malka.

Julia
Why did you say in post # 27 on 4 July

I'll give the vet a call, because they don't seem so competent to me, as I think I might even gather more information over the net, than they know (I don't think they have a vet doctor...I think they just have apprentices), and I don't have an option of vet clinics in my locality.
and yet now you say the vet has "a branch in an elite location here in Lagos"?
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Sorry to hear this Juleze. Cats can be very scary and their bites can end up very infected.

There is a lot of opinion about this. It depends - the idea was that it would make the dog think it was "ok" or rewarding to be scared, but honestly I really don't follow this unless the owner tends to be generally a very fussy and nervous individual... IMO it "depends" but some behaviourists now are starting to believe that comforting a dog does not = encouraging fearful behaviour.
However you do have to be careful. Often a "jolly" attitude is helpful.

Animals are emotional beings and my view is that with a big scare, sensible comforting would be fine.

Wys
x
Thank you.

I'll try to put the 'jolly attitude' tool to use, whenever he's scared (he'll need that between November-January).
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Why did you say in post # 27 on 4 July

and yet now you say the vet has "a branch in an elite location here in Lagos"?

Business doesn't appear to boom in my locality, so they put the 'not so knowledgeable(though nice) staff' here, while at the other place (I realized they had a branch there from their card), they would definitely ensure they use 'proper staff' there. More like putting your best foot forward where it would be appreciated or recognized.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2011, 02:22 PM
I understand. I hope you have managed to sort out the problem with Max biting now.
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I too find that comforting the dog is the best way to go. COMFORTING, not fussing and faffing. Comforting to me is calmly reassuring rather than being over-fussy. I also agree with jollying the situation along.

Just to put it in perspective, TTouch often works wonders with dogs who are afraid (I found it particularly useful during thunder-storms with my late girl) and TTouch used in this situation is attending to the dog while it is in a state of fear. It works! If the adage of ignoring a dog that has or is suffering a fright was correct, it shouldn't work.

Of course, how you comfort is the key because you can heighten the fear if you behave in a way that shows your own fear. Don't know if any of that makes sense
It sure makes lots of sense, although I'll like to know what you mean by TTouch.
Thanks.
juleze
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I've never found sensible comforting to be a problem. I simply let Rupert lean against me and put a hand on his head or shoulder. Or if I'm sitting down I let him cuddle up next to me and just put an arm round him which is how we often sit on the sofa while I'm watching a movie.

If I baby talk and coddle him though it makes him a thousand times worse.
But he's a small dog, so I don't have the 'luxury' of putting a hand on his head while standing
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >