Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2010, 07:34 AM

Puppy being sick and not eating!

Hi not sure if anyone will be able to help this early!

My 15 week old Beagle puppy woke up this morning and has been sick in the garden, nothing has come up just bile, I thought maybe he is trying to bring something up! He has been sick before but he has really been urging lots and isn't himself he is very quiet and restless!! Is he just feeling a bit sorry for himself??

I thought I would offer a small treat just to see if he would take it but he didn't but he did about 5mins ago take a small piece of a treat!

I have figured it best not to walk him this morning and not give him any breakfast is this best?? I don't know whether to book a vets appointment or wait to see how he is this evening?

His poo is normal, and I can't think of anything he has had out of the ordinary the last day, we have been switching him to James wellbeloved over the last week or so, but surely it couldn't be that?

Thanks in advance, I am just really worried about him and need to go 2 work soon!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by AmyH-Cornwall View Post
Hi not sure if anyone will be able to help this early!

My 15 week old Beagle puppy woke up this morning and has been sick in the garden, nothing has come up just bile, I thought maybe he is trying to bring something up! He has been sick before but he has really been urging lots and isn't himself he is very quiet and restless!! Is he just feeling a bit sorry for himself??

I thought I would offer a small treat just to see if he would take it but he didn't but he did about 5mins ago take a small piece of a treat!

I have figured it best not to walk him this morning and not give him any breakfast is this best?? I don't know whether to book a vets appointment or wait to see how he is this evening?

His poo is normal, and I can't think of anything he has had out of the ordinary the last day, we have been switching him to James wellbeloved over the last week or so, but surely it couldn't be that?

Thanks in advance, I am just really worried about him and need to go 2 work soon!
Oh poor little chap and poor you, it is such a worry isn't it.

The best thing to do is starve him this morning and see how he is when you get back at lunch. The main thing is that he drinks, but without runny poos it's not too bad.

It is possible it's the food switching. How have you done it?
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Just an update, Monty has been sick again, he brought the small piece of treat back up!! - I know it wasn't the best idea to give him a treat but I just wanted to see if he would take it as he has been sick once or twice before in the past and wanted to know if this was something different! Don't worry I won't be giving him anything else!

My Dad has (he works from home) said he will have him today - which means I will be less worried about him
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Make sure he is drinking a bit as pups can dehydrate fast,

I'd vet him as he is so young.

rune
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 09:16 AM
sometimes if dogs/pups have an empty tummy the bring up bile,

when was his last feed?

I would be tempted to offer him a small amount of breakfast, if he brings it back up then pop him down to the vet, if not then its prob down to empty tummy, so you could try giving him a small snack later on at night to keep him going over night.

Im not a huge fan of starving dogs on the basis of bringing up a small amount of bile.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 09:32 AM
I agree with Shona on that.

Bile is normally an indication that there is alot of acid in the tum and if his tum is empty this will be just what comes up.
However I wouldn't offer him treats either, have you tried a arrowroot biscuit, if you can get some from your shop/supermarket they are wondeful for settling the tum. Just one broken up will give him something to soak the acid up, you can give another later.

Make sure that he is drinking plenty of water not just because being so young he will dehydrate fast but water dilutes the acid too xx

If he's no better later I'd pop him to the bets
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks for your replies guys!

I have been trying to offer Monty water all morning but he just won't drink it!

He just so wasn't himself and I hate seeing him like that! When I dropped him to my dads he did seem to perk up a litle and had a sniff around!

He has been shivering a little though at times, do you think it is possible he has a bug and a bit of a temp? (although it is wierd that his poo is normal) I didn't take any food to my dad's as I read on other thread on here it is best not to let them have anything for a while!

Is there anything else I could ask my dad to give him at lunch time? Maybe some scrambled egg without milk? Don't think they sell arrowroot biscuits in Tesco?

I don't think it could be the food I am feeding, it is James Wellbeloved and I have gradually introduced for well over a week! It shouldn't be that should it?

Thanks guys

Just another thing guys, it is more like froth than actual bile, it is not yellow or anything! Do you think it could be possible he has something stuck?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Take him to the vets---as soon as possible.

Better safe than very sorry!

rune
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I have just spoke to my Dad and Monty seems a lot better!

He says that he has been playing and is now up and looking for food! I think I am going to give the vets a ring and see what they say!

He hasn't been sick and has been drinking some water! What do you think I should get my Dad to feed him??
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 10:57 AM
If he's still not interested or drinking, plus the shivering, i would be inclinded to take him to the vets....or ask your Dad too...ASAP

As he is such a young age he will dehyrate quickly, its quite possible that he has just picked up a bug, or ,maybe a small virus from somewhere and needs some Anit-biotics.

Milk is not always advisable as it can cause the runs, if you get some warm water and add a little milk he may drink, but if he was mine I'd pop him to the vets.

Much a safer option
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >