Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Two Pups in a Pod
New Member!
Male 

25-01-2017, 04:48 PM

Anxious Dog Needs Exercise

Hi all,

I apologize if this isn't the right location. It touches on a couple of topics (behavior/health/sport) and I wasn't sure where would be best.

Here's the situation. I have two dogs. But this is about my viszla mix (2-3 y/o) rescued about a year ago.

So when we first got her she was super chill. Ended up really opening up and is a little ball of neuroses now. She's full of energy and extremely anxious. She's also super sweet and the best dog ever, once you get a handle on it.

The issue: we just moved a few days ago and I need a new way to exercise her because she's reverting to all of her old bad behaviors (stuff we've worked out over the past year such as mouthing, whining, pulling while walking, etc.) but like I said she's very high strung which makes that hard. The problems are:

1. We live in Chicago (did before the move too) so there is no yard or place to let her off leash other than dog parks. I can go to my parents in the suburbs to use heir yard but not daily.

2. She doesn't care for other dogs (kind of including her sister to a lesser degree) so not only will she not play with them, but when she goes to a dog park she gets picked on and lies on her back and freaks out until we leave.

3. She won't run with me. Sometimes there's no issue at all but usually she'll get spooked by something and then randomly lay down and refuse to get up at some point.

4. She won't play tug or fetch when her sisters around. And even when she's not, she's not great at it so it's not a perfect solution.

I really want to do what's best for her, but I'm at a loss for what to do right now.before the move she Really enjoyed long walks, but now she's so busy pulling and sniffing everything its unpleasant for both of us and she comes back even more stressed. I'm worried my inability to work out some of that anxiety has got to be negatively effecting her health.

Btw, yes I did anticipate a freak out and am ready for this adjustment period, but I still need a solution to keeping her fit and anxiety free in the long haul, as it was never perfect, just much better.

Any ideas for how to better exercise her?
mirandashell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-01-2017, 05:12 PM
Have you tried brain-training her at all? I mean with games where she has to find treats or work out how to get a treat out of something. Just something to keep her occupied and thinking. That uses up energy too.
Two Pups in a Pod
New Member!
Male 

26-01-2017, 05:32 PM
Yup. She does them and loves them. Solves them in no time and it's a blast to think up new variations that challenge her. It does work to pacify her for a bit afterward, but I guess I'm still concerned about giving her the physical exercise she needs.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2017, 09:58 PM
Are there any hydrotherapy pools you could use for swimming.
mirandashell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2017, 10:34 PM
Do you know anyone with an enclosed space that you could use for an hour or so so she can have a run?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-01-2017, 10:34 PM
What about a flirt pole? Could probably use it at home to start with as long as you have a reasonable amount of space.

I copied this from an online retailer

Have a dog with lots of energy? Try exercising your dog with the Flirt Pole! A ten minute workout with The Flirt Pole is comparable exercise to a one hour walk for your dog!
A great way to exercise your dog: The Flirt Pole works by converting the natural prey drive instinct in your dogs into exercise as they attempt to catch the lure by sprinting, changing direction, and jumping. It can really get your dog moving and having a great time in even small spaces.
Durable yet lightweight! The Flirt-Pole's flexible, durable shaft will never snap or splinter like other fiberglass pole toys and DIY versions, yet the Flirt Pole with lure weighs in at less than one pound!
Comfortable and safe: The Flirt Pole chase toy has a foam rubber, non-slip grip for easy handling plus a safety wrist strap to prevent accidentally losing hold of the Pole. The super-strong, "marine grade" bungee cord prevents "whiplash" when the toy is caught by your dog.
Toy is held securely & is replaceable : The Flirt Pole's special (new and improved!) attachment mechanism holds the toy securely without the use of fasteners that can injure your dog's mouth. The toys are replaceable and machine washable as well.
The Flirt Pole toy is perfect for:
Dogs and owners of any size!
People with limited mobility that need to exercise their dogs.
Dogs with lots of energy / hyperactive dogs.
Training. For example: Ask your dog to sit, down or stay and then release him or her to get the toy. Using the Flirt Pole is also a great way to practice drop it and leave it.
Safety tips: The Flirt Pole is best used on a cushioned surface such as grass. Use caution any time you allow your dog to do a lot of jumping because jumping can be dangerous, especially for dogs under one year of age as their bodies are still growing. Do not use the Flirt Pole as a tug toy or chew toy. Click for more safety and use tips.
mirandashell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2017, 10:37 PM
Do you have a long space in your home, like a corridor? That would be good for a game of fetch
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-01-2017, 10:52 PM
Play hide and seek, find it with toys or treats.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-01-2017, 12:56 PM
Why don't you find a good trainer to do 1-1 agility with you and your dog?

Agility is great for dogs who like to use their brains and helps build their confidence. It also provides lots of exercise. By doing it 1-1 with no other dogs around she'd be able to go at her own pace.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2017, 01:14 PM
One thing I wouldn't do is take an anxious dog to a dog park - it's only purpose will be to make her more anxious.

Until she settles down, a longer lead or properly used Flexi attached to a harness may well help her feel more in control and less hemmed in whilst still giving you the control of shortening the lead when necessary.