Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2015, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by galty View Post
Each to his/her own but I do find that very sad.
Galty I find it is sad that you think it sad that a woman should have a mind of her own. After a lifetime of pleasing others, this is my time now and I will do as I please .
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2015, 09:59 PM
You know what kind of gets me at Christmas? All the charity adverts begging for your money. From the Savation Army to Crisis at Christmas. Don't get me wrong, I feel for the lonely and homeless but 'crisis at Christmas"? What about the rest of the year? The lonely are still lonely and the homeless are still homeless.

I quite like Christmas but don't go overboard. My son (22), no longer lives at home. My Christmas is a quiet one this year to be spent at my dear old Dad (83) with my OH and brother. My son coming in the evening, (he works in the pub trade). I shall do the cooking, a few presents will be exchanged and the rest of the day spent with me saying "did you hear me Dad" lol. My dear Dad probably has more decorations than I do, think he still thinks of me as his little girl . So I have two sets of decorations to get out of the loft and put up, one for my house and one for his.

My Dad lives close to me which is lovely and I just want to make a special Christmas for him.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-12-2015, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Galty I find it is sad that you think it sad that a woman should have a mind of her own. After a lifetime of pleasing others, this is my time now and I will do as I please .
Took the words out of my mouth Meg

And I totally agree - Christmas is a very personal thing and we should all spend it in whatever way makes us happy
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2015, 08:57 AM
varied replies! Like many I will be physically alone, but love that. We are Christians, and family and friends working with the very needy around the world will be together in Prayer at midnight Canadian time. In a long life I have gone through the gamut of reactions and now am settled and serene. One of my happiest Christma Eves was when I was at a craft fair until mid afternoon, then wandered up, exhausted, to the Church. Many Irish Churches have life sized Nativities and this was so there. There was a bale of straw so I sank onto that and closed my eyes, with soft holy music as folk waited for Confession and ladies were busy with flowers. It was HOME simply... refuelled and cheered me quietly. We did away with cards and gifts many years ago, being single minded for the needs of those who have nothing. Of course we mark the Day. the Gift of Jesus close to our hearts, and we make sure that as many as we can care for get a taste of Christmas. But no excesses. So no let down. After this year we need what one writer calls " The sweet and silly things of Christmas" whether there be any belief of not there. Irish supermarkets are piled to the rafters now with pallets of tins of sweets and biscuits!i SO I wait, wry mouthed as prices will come down and down now. Not averse to luxuries when they are cheaper than staples. I remember only too well the utter desolation and loneliness of younger years when the misdiagnosis of my illness distorted everything. The worst was when well meaning folk took me to get togethers! Coming home to that empty house... shudders.. Now I am happy and looking forward to the days after the last Craft Fair, when I can visit churches, see folk and have no obligations. Christmas is my heart and the love of others. Simply and only that. so I can let go a little now. But alone is perfect.... alone ? Not really!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2015, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by Popster View Post
You know what kind of gets me at Christmas? All the charity adverts begging for your money. From the Savation Army to Crisis at Christmas. Don't get me wrong, I feel for the lonely and homeless but 'crisis at Christmas"? What about the rest of the year? The lonely are still lonely and the homeless are still homeless.

I quite like Christmas but don't go overboard. My son (22), no longer lives at home. My Christmas is a quiet one this year to be spent at my dear old Dad (83) with my OH and brother. My son coming in the evening, (he works in the pub trade). I shall do the cooking, a few presents will be exchanged and the rest of the day spent with me saying "did you hear me Dad" lol. My dear Dad probably has more decorations than I do, think he still thinks of me as his little girl . So I have two sets of decorations to get out of the loft and put up, one for my house and one for his.

My Dad lives close to me which is lovely and I just want to make a special Christmas for him.
Agree but! Always that goat again! yes crisis all the year round but somehow seems worse for those who have nothing We in my wide family work all the year round to alleviate this and now are working to fund food boxes of special items for families and loners. On Christmas Day we have a breakfast party for the men alone; huge feed and packs to take away. I never ever give to big charities as we take no wages etc. Can be so hard at this time as it was for me some years. Your dad sounds lovely! Here I will be using my small tree on the stall; hand knitted decorations for sale then will have it here. Oh but there is a small tree lodged in the bank that should not be there.. no lights, but all night Christmas Eve an Irish tradition, a red candle will burn in the window to guide anyone lost or in need to safety...
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2015, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Agree totally and that is what I do also! Pleases me mightily the work I do. And no sadness here re your ways.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-12-2015, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Took the words out of my mouth Meg

And I totally agree - Christmas is a very personal thing and we should all spend it in whatever way makes us happy
I agree to that.

Look forward to Christmas some don't.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2015, 12:00 AM
Well I love Christmas,
I love the movies, the whole Santa thing, Christmas jumpers everything, apart from Summer it's my favourite time of year
I cannot wait to put my tree up on December 1st, love my family coming round, I love the shopping, the songs
I don't go mad with the decs but have some up.
This year the will be 5 of us for dinner since mum & step-dad moved to Fuerteventura.
I spoil my 2 kids, my husband and Rosie and now my son's girlfriend too, I don't care what people think either.

I firmly spend Christmas how you want as long as it makes you happy
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2016, 12:02 PM
I know it is far from Christmas here in July but is it really? Five months and counting. Anyway, as a child I loved Christmas and everything about it. As an adult I am more reserved about it. I still love it but the feeling has been tainted due to some people in my family being greedy. They are never happy with their gifts so I don't give them anything. It takes away from the joy one feels to give. I am a Christmas lover at heart but why do some people have to spoil it?
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3