View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JustinC
New Member!
Male 

05-10-2011, 02:27 AM

What do you dislike most about picking up your dog's waste?

Hi Everyone,

I am a graduate student pursing my masters in design, and working on an interesting project. I am in the process of designing a popper scooper that would replace the commonly used plastic bag. My solution is a portable, disposable and discrete popper scooper that would eliminate the disgusting feeling of having to pick up dog waste with a plastic bag. As a dog owner myself, I hate the warm, soft feeling of picking up after my dog with a thin plastic bag. As fellow dog owners, I wanted to know what you most dislike about using the bag to pick up waste? Is it the temperature? The fear or ripping? The awkwardness of having to carry a full bag with you until you find a trash can?

I truly appreciate your feedback, as it's very helpful to get an alternative popper scooper into the marketplace.

So, what do you hate about using a plastic bag to pick up your dogs waste?

Thank you!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 02:40 AM
I like plastic bags as they are easily storable, disposable, take up little room and do not need washing/cleaning.

As my dogs are raw fed the waste is rarely soft or warm.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-10-2011, 03:17 AM
I dislike that there's not enough bins to put the bags in! Commonly used dog walks need more than just one at either end.

I also prefer plastic bags because they're easily carried in the pocket.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 03:43 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I also prefer plastic bags because they're easily carried in the pocket.

Empty ones hopefully...................................:blush :
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 04:30 AM
I pick up with plastic bags too. I wouldn't carry a poop scoop - far too bulky.

There's nothing I dislike about picking up after my dog..... it's all part of owing one, in my opinion
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Plastic bags are fine. I can't say it's my favourite part of owning a dog but it's got to be done. All the pooper scooper things I've seen are way too bulky to be stuffed in a pocket until needed, I wouldn't carry one around. As Smokeybear says, my dogs poos are rarely soft as he's fed raw.

The worst part is either the lack of bins to put said scooped poop in (I've taken to carrying a sealable plastic tub in my backpack if we go for long walks so I don't have to juggle leash and bag of poo) or when Rupe has the squits. I don't think any pooper scooper is going to help pick that up!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 06:51 AM
I agree I use nappy sacks and have no issues using them - never have and unlikely to use a poop scoop like already said bags are easy to carry (when empty).

I would love to have cheap storage bag for the full ones - did see a bag (think it was a dicksy poop bag?) rather than swinging them around for a whole walk until (if we are lucky) we find a bin!

No issues with picking up at all - except if you get a runny one!
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 07:08 AM
I wouldnt carry a pooper scooper that was any bigger than the small bags i carry already, i can not see that any disposable pooper scooper would be small, cheap and easily carried in the quantities i would need to carry in all honesty.

And i wouldnt want to be carry an item that require a bag to be loaded onto it every time it needed using.

Although it isnt the most pleasant task i just have to get on a pick up the poo with a bag, and block my mind to it, it just has to be done. One reason i like my medium size springers is the amount of output is usually fairly easily got with one scoop of the hand in a bag!

I cant imagine needing a carrier bag and two hands full! As others have said it isnt the pleasant part of owning a dog but one that you have to get on with, a friend of mine got themselves a pooper scooper contraption which was his pride and joy when he first got his dog and it was just days after i saw him out and about with out it, and have never seen any of the family with the dog and the pooper scooper together, i can only imagine he joined my thoughts that just easier to carry a few small bags or one of the little bag dispensers on the lead.

The only thing i havent yet got the idea of is using anything other than the black bags, not quite sure about using the see through nappy sacks yet, but they are so much cheaper the way my budget is going i may well have to get my head around that very soon.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 07:11 AM
I only like black ones, big and strong.

OMG! Seriously though, hate being able to see the poo through pale bags. Have to be biodegradable too. I wouldn't used the bulky poopa scoops, just prefer bags for convenience.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2011, 07:13 AM
Same as all the above! I like that the bags I use are degradeable and big enough that I have to be very careless to end up with my fingers in it! If I can, though, I will flick it into the hedge in preference.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »